Who is the most feared power hitter in MLB history?

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
There's a short list that probably includes Babe Ruth, Micky Mantle, Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr., Willy Mays.... maybe a few others.

Of course I didn't see Ruth, Mantle, or Mays play during my lifetime. I'll corner it down to 2.

Ruth or Bonds, I could make a case for both... all I know is that Barry Bonds was SCARY, regardless of his supposed roid use. 7 time MVP.

A low key addition I'll add into consideration based on what I watched is Albert Belle. He had a Mike Tyson vibe to him, he was an angry player, and for 10 years he bashed home runs out of parks with 30-50 HR's every year. The only reason he's not in the HOF is because sports writers are fragile snowflakes and Belle didn't give them the time of day and was big ol' meanie.

Barry Bonds.

He was given intentional walks at an astounding rate and even with the bases empty.

Bonds was rail thin and a speedster. 20-30HR type. With HGH he became size 15? shoe, up 2 hat sizes, ~100lbs. Total fraud. Like Canseco, Mac, Sosa all of them. Larussa enabled it.

There's a short list that probably includes Babe Ruth, Micky Mantle, Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr., Willy Mays.... maybe a few others.

Of course I didn't see Ruth, Mantle, or Mays play during my lifetime. I'll corner it down to 2.

Ruth or Bonds, I could make a case for both... all I know is that Barry Bonds was SCARY, regardless of his supposed roid use. 7 time MVP.

A low key addition I'll add into consideration based on what I watched is Albert Belle. He had a Mike Tyson vibe to him, he was an angry player, and for 10 years he bashed home runs out of parks with 30-50 HR's every year. The only reason he's not in the HOF is because sports writers are fragile snowflakes and Belle didn't give them the time of day and was big ol' meanie.
Hank Aaron. Didnt need steroids to make his homers. Was a natural at the game.

Prince Albert.

They did scientific tests on him to see what made him such a great home run hitter, they found that his reaction time was much faster than the average human.

Bonds, Ruth, Reggie Jackson, Mantle. Too many to name really and it depends on the metric. McGwire was feared for 2-3 year period as much as anyone.

Chris Davis for instance for a couple of years was far and away the most feared. Ditto for Arod. Over a career, you'd have to go with these guys.

Bonds was rail thin and a speedster. 20-30HR type. With HGH he became size 15? shoe, up 2 hat sizes, ~100lbs. Total fraud. Like Canseco, Mac, Sosa all of them. Larussa enabled it.
The question, though, was who was the most feared.

I can't think of anything that shows fear more than walking a fellow intentionally when the bases are empty.

I saw Mays and Bonds. Willie would have hit more homers than the Babe if he had not to serve in the armed forces. I don't know. Pitching was not as good then now, but the ball was softer in Babe's day. He was the reason it was souped up.

Forum List

Back