Who is the most feared power hitter in MLB history?

leftwinger Dogmaphobe CrusaderFrank rightwinger bluzman61 Votto shockedcanadian Harry Dresden John Edgar Slow Horses

Bonds insane stats:
  • Bonds was intentionally walked 41 times w/bases empty
  • Only member of 500 HR, 500 Steal club, he's also the only member of the 400 HR, 400 Steal club.
  • In 2004, he reached base 376 times in 373 at bats (walks aren't an at bat). He had 232 walks that season
  • 7 MVPs', the next closest is 3.
  • Most intentional walks in history by A LOT. Bonds 688, next closest Pujols 292. Bonds had 10 seasons with the most IW's, next closes is Pujols with 3.
  • From 2001-2004, 39.5% of Bonds at bats where a HR or a walk
  • 49.1% of Bonds hits were extra base hits. Next highest is Hank Aaron at 39.2%.
  • From 2001-04, Bonds played in 573 games and reached base in 539 of them (94%)
  • A group stat: Bonds, Mays, and McCovey account for 12.1% of HR's in the history of the San Fran Giants.

Regardless of your thoughts on his presumed steroid use.. as he is, he was the most dominant hitter in MLB history.. and that's saying A LOT when taking into account Babe Ruth.

Last edited:
The bases loaded walk statistic is a good one for "most feared'. I'm not sure how else you quantify that.
Sorry, I messed up that stat. It was 41 times bases empty intentionally walked, which is rare.

He was only clearly intentionally walked once with the bases loaded.. but there are plenty of other times when it wasn't "clear", but they didn't want to risk it and gave a scared attempt.

Bonds was rail thin and a speedster. 20-30HR type. With HGH he became size 15? shoe, up 2 hat sizes, ~100lbs. Total fraud. Like Canseco, Mac, Sosa all of them. Larussa enabled it.
Pirates fans will remember the Barry Bonds who couldn't throw out the slow as a turtle Sid Bream on a single to shallow left.

leftwinger Dogmaphobe CrusaderFrank rightwinger bluzman61 Votto shockedcanadian Harry Dresden John Edgar Slow Horses

Bonds insane stats:
  • Only member of 500 HR, 500 Steal club, he's also the only member of the 400 HR, 400 Steal club.
  • In 2004, he reached base 376 times in 373 at bats (walks aren't an at bat). He had 232 walks that season
  • Most intentional walks in history by A LOT. Bonds 688, next closest Pujols 292. Bonds had 10 seasons with the most IW's, next closes is Pujols with 3.
  • 49.1% of Bonds hits were extra base hits. Next highest is Hank Aaron at 39.2%.
  • A group stat: Bonds, Mays, and McCovey account for 12.1% of HR's in the history of the San Fran Giants.

Regardless of your thoughts on his presumed steroid use.. as he is, he was the most dominant hitter in MLB history.. and that's saying A LOT when taking into account Babe Ruth.
i never said bonds was not a great ballplayer.....his 7 MVP's was a little bit overkill.....especially when they gave it to him 4 years in a row....

My Dad turned down a contract with the Giants to join the Navy, he said Ted Williams was the best hitter ever. Williams spent 5 of his prime years serving his country or he would have out homered Babe Ruth

Oh, my Dad HATED the Yankees, but would go to Yankee Stadium whenever The Sox were in town and arrive early to watch Ted Williams take batting practice

Bonds on Steroids was the scariest hitter I ever saw.
They were afraid to pitch to him at all
I just posted the same thing. Pitchers would try to pitch around him and he’d still hit it out of the park. It got to the point where it felt like he was going to be intentionally walked or he’d hit it out of the park.

Bonds insane stats:

Bonds was in another world and teams refused to face him

Shows why Steroids needed to be banned

There's a short list that probably includes Babe Ruth, Micky Mantle, Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Jr., Willy Mays.... maybe a few others.

Of course I didn't see Ruth, Mantle, or Mays play during my lifetime. I'll corner it down to 2.

Ruth or Bonds, I could make a case for both... all I know is that Barry Bonds was SCARY, regardless of his supposed roid use. 7 time MVP.

A low key addition I'll add into consideration based on what I watched is Albert Belle. He had a Mike Tyson vibe to him, he was an angry player, and for 10 years he bashed home runs out of parks with 30-50 HR's every year. The only reason he's not in the HOF is because sports writers are fragile snowflakes and Belle didn't give them the time of day and was big ol' meanie.

Someone wishes they were white

1719340470281.png

Forum List

Back