Who's English is the best here?

That's what I need - somebody to correct my posts :) I think that it will be a job for the winner in this thread :)
May I suggest that you try one of the tools here: The Best Language-Learning Software of 2017.

I may be mistaken, but I doubt that anyone wants to review your posts and provide high quality feedback and corrections of it.

Oh I already volunteered that. :thup:

I do it for anybody for the cause of ESL. And in trade I take tips in their language.

That's what I need - somebody to correct my posts :) I think that it will be a job for the winner in this thread :)
May I suggest that you try one of the tools here: The Best Language-Learning Software of 2017.

I may be mistaken, but I doubt that anyone wants to review your posts and provide high quality feedback and corrections of it.

Oh I already volunteered that. :thup:

I do it for anybody for the cause of ESL. And in trade I take tips in their language.
That's quite generous of you. Kudos for your magnanimity.

Comrade Johnson , is Putin narcissistic in your opinion or just ruthless ??

Putin is our Czar. That's all.
Cold War Empowers the Caliphate

Putin is the greatest Russian since Czar Peter the Great, who was also a little rough along the edges.

I think that Putin doesn't torture his rivals by himself as Peter did :)

But Putin is not the point, good English is the point :)
A Diploma Is a Participation Trophy

The posters are avoiding that issue because even our college graduates have a 11-year-old's knowledge of English grammar. They are all afraid to reveal that their education is a fraud. If students aren't paid for their grades, they aren't worth anything and shouldn't be given white-collar jobs. Our English teachers are too lazy to teach it. For decades, they've used the excuse, "You don't have to study this. You can pick it up easily by listening to the way educated speakers speak."

Last edited:
Comrade Johnson , is Putin narcissistic in your opinion or just ruthless ??

Putin is our Czar. That's all.
Cold War Empowers the Caliphate

Putin is the greatest Russian since Czar Peter the Great, who was also a little rough along the edges.

I think that Putin doesn't torture his rivals by himself as Peter did :)

But Putin is not the point, good English is the point :)
A Diploma Is a Participation Trophy

The posters are avoiding that issue because even our college graduates have a 11-year-old's knowledge of English grammar. They are all afraid to reveal that their education is a fraud.

Sir Spammalot is at it again.

... Our English teachers are too lazy to teach it. For decades, they've used the excuse, "You don't have to study this. You can pick it up easily by listening to the way educated speakers speak."

No one says that. You are full of shit - again. On top of that, you don't even understand the BS you are trying to spew.

Me. You've already asked this and I've already told you.

My English is so good that my "mistakes" are on porpoise. Which is kinda fishy.

See what I did there?

Not only am I an experienced writer/editor but my spoken English is standard "broadcast" American English, which I had to learn for that profession. Although I can and do mimic a few regional accents if code-switching is called for.

I should add that I'm a linguistic archconservative. I'm probably the only person left still using the traditional spelling of Hallowe'en.

You do understand the meaning of EGOTISTICAL don't you?

I did not fully understand the English language until I underwent an intensive six month course in German at the Defense Language Institute. I do not consider myself an expert as English is a living language that grows and changes every day.

Experts cite all sorts of rules. In my 77 (nearly 78) years, I've learned the most important rule - What was yesterday may not be is today.

I did not fully understand the English language until I underwent an intensive six month course in German at the Defense Language Institute. I do not consider myself an expert as English is a living language that grows and changes every day.

Experts cite all sorts of rules. In my 77 (nearly 78) years, I've learned the most important rule - What was yesterday may not be is today.
Oh brother.
Words do mean something, however. And it does matter how you use them. If you can't agree on the language and the definitions of things, then you have chaos and a total breakdown of communication and understanding.

Which is pretty much what we have today. There is English.

Then there is progressive gobbledygook, which presents an alternate reality using the same words.

See what I did there?

Not only am I an experienced writer/editor but my spoken English is standard "broadcast" American English, which I had to learn for that profession. Although I can and do mimic a few regional accents if code-switching is called for.

I should add that I'm a linguistic archconservative. I'm probably the only person left still using the traditional spelling of Hallowe'en.

Oh yes. That's when you down a 55-gallon drum of coffee and decide "I'm going to start a dozen threads all at once and take over USMB with stories about World Toilet Day".

Never got into that shit myself. I prefer quality over quantity.

Languages evolve. Always have. Always will.

What is ironic is that they progress from complex and beautiful to more simplistic and ugly.

What is ironic is that they progress from complex and beautiful to more simplistic and ugly.
Because there is always a group of people who don't like definitions, and create new ones, which make the old ones insufficient. You end up with grunts and curses and symbols.

Like suddenly "life" doesn't mean "life" anymore. When you take a word that has a fundamental, important and accepted meaning, and then suddenly determine it doesn't mean what the majority of people understand it to mean, you have a problem. Communism, primarily. Totalitarianism, certainly.

"Human" is another. If you want to change the meaning of "human" to be less inclusive, there's something wrong with you...and you are tearing at the fabric of your society. Not in a good way.

See what I did there?

It may be the only bit of English he understands well! :lol:

"Human" is another. If you want to change the meaning of "human" to be less inclusive, there's something wrong with you...and you are tearing at the fabric of your society. Not in a good way.
I say "humankind" when I am talking about people/peoples.

And I use "humans" when I am talking about biological species.

Because there is always a group of people who don't like definitions, and create new ones, which make the old ones insufficient. You end up with grunts and curses and symbols.

Like suddenly "life" doesn't mean "life" anymore. When you take a word that has a fundamental, important and accepted meaning, and then suddenly determine it doesn't mean what the majority of people understand it to mean, you have a problem. Communism, primarily. Totalitarianism, certainly.
koshergrl what would be a logical hypothesis to explain how language started out complex to begin with through?

This is one of the things linguists ponder and debate.

It is practically another Proof Of God like Aquinas' other 5 of them.

When you lose the meanings of words like "life" "human" "man" "woman" "child" "murder" then your society is devolving into a non-communicative animal group where survival is the only thing that matters, and language is not able to be employed to any positive purpose.

I say "humankind" when I am talking about people/peoples.

And I use "humans" when I am talking about biological species.
No matter which form, if the definition of "human" is in dispute, it's meaningless.

Forum List

Back