Who's English is the best here?

Comrade Johnson you are just a popular guy !!
And oh by the way, "fokk me!" is an Irish prostitutes' expression.
So is "fokk me running!"

No, there are just so many guys who whant be nominated with their excellent English :)
Well, what is good for Irish prostitutes may be usefulf for anybody :)

there are just so many guys who whant be nominated with their excellent English

Well, let me be clear. I suggest you not aim to emulate my English as you see it here. I suggest that not because my English is poor, for it's not. It's that my writing style and colloquial English generally is at a writing level that requires readers to have a very strong command of English. I pretty nearly always here, as when I speak to people in person, write to a 10th-12th grade reading level, which is to say I use all the modes of verb conjugation, and I frequently compose compound and complex sentences. It'd be a Herculean task for a beginning learner to take on mastering all that at once and without formal guidance. The structure of my prose pretty well adheres to standard grammar rules, save for my typos, but the style is colloquial; thus it's not what one should emulate when learning the language.

The point of my remarks above is that one should learn the correct way to write and speak before one takes liberties with the language. That's especially so for non-native speakers of the language. Trust me, it's easier to learn bad habits than it is to unlearn them.

Last edited:
So is "fokk me running!"

No, there are just so many guys who whant be nominated with their excellent English :)

Well, let me be clear. I suggest you not aim to emulate my English as you see it here. I suggest that not because my English is poor, for it's not. It's that my writing style and colloquial English generally of a writing level that requires readers to have a very strong command of English. I pretty nearly always here, as when I speak to people in person, write to a 10-12 grade reading level, which is to say I use all the modes of verb conjugation, and I frequently compose compound and complex sentences. It'd be a Herculean task for a beginning learner to take on mastering all that at once and without formal guidance. The structure of my prose pretty well adheres to standard grammar rules, save for my typos, but the style is colloquial; thus it's not what one should emulate when learning the language.

The point of my remarks above is that one should learn the correct way to write and speak before one takes liberties with the language. That's especially so for non-native speakers of the language. Trust me, it's easier to learn bad habits than it is to unlearn them.

There's another reason you shouldn't emulate me and my writing style here: time. As a non-native speaker and as someone who's not had 12 years of English instruction as have all Americans and other native speakers, you'll find yourself living with a dictionary and a grammar rules website or book.

When I communicate with native speakers, I know they've been taught the same things I have. Native English speakers are my audience, which shouldn't be surprising as this forum is about American politics.

So is "fokk me running!"

Well, let me be clear. I suggest you not aim to emulate my English as you see it here. I suggest that not because my English is poor, for it's not. It's that my writing style and colloquial English generally of a writing level that requires readers to have a very strong command of English. I pretty nearly always here, as when I speak to people in person, write to a 10-12 grade reading level, which is to say I use all the modes of verb conjugation, and I frequently compose compound and complex sentences. It'd be a Herculean task for a beginning learner to take on mastering all that at once and without formal guidance. The structure of my prose pretty well adheres to standard grammar rules, save for my typos, but the style is colloquial; thus it's not what one should emulate when learning the language.

Agreed. This isn't a site for literature; the currency here is colloquial. It's a bit of a moot point to establish who has the "best English" except for the purpose of personal instruction on the side.

That said, I once found a useful tool in learning practical German and French in some Donald Duck comic books in those languages. You can see all the action going on and the speech balloons are rendered in everyday vernacular.

So is "fokk me running!"

Agreed. This isn't a site for literature; the currency here is colloquial. It's a bit of a moot point to establish who has the "best English" except for the purpose of personal instruction on the side.

That said, I once found a useful tool in learning practical German and French in some Donald Duck comic books in those languages. You can see all the action going on and the speech balloons are rendered in everyday vernacular.
everyday vernacular.

Yes, that's another reason I'd be a bad person to emulate. My "everyday" vocabulary is not suited to individuals who are just becoming familiar with English. My words and phrasing are carefully chosen to convey precisely the denotation, connotation and tone I intend, but a new learner needs to learn the basics before they begin to worry about those things, much less aim to naturally incorporate them into their writing.

So is "fokk me running!"

everyday vernacular.

Yes, that's another reason I'd be a bad person to emulate. My "everyday" vocabulary is not suited to individuals who are just becoming familiar with English. My words and phrasing are carefully chosen to convey precisely the denotation, connotation and tone I intend, but a new learner needs to learn the basics before they begin to worry about those things, much less aim to naturally incorporate them into their writing.

And hell, my paradigm is Pogo, not the least reason for which is his creative alt-English :)

To his credit the OP noted early in this thread that he didn't want to sound like me. That's a healthy approach.

So is "fokk me running!"

There's another reason you shouldn't emulate me and my writing style here: time. As a non-native speaker and as someone who's not had 12 years of English instruction as have all Americans and other native speakers, you'll find yourself living with a dictionary and a grammar rules website or book.

When I communicate with native speakers, I know they've been taught the same things I have. Native English speakers are my audience, which shouldn't be surprising as this forum is about American politics.

Don't overdo it.

So is "fokk me running!"

everyday vernacular.

Oh brother, take it easy.

That's what an editor is for. If you don't have an editor working for you, meh, no biggie.
That's what I need - somebody to correct my posts :) I think that it will be a job for the winner in this thread :)

There's nothing egregious to correct in this instance, other than a couple of periods. There's a wide latitude for what is "correct" in a message board.

A good editor knows where to draw the line between style and inept syntax. I wouldn't make any changes on this.

It looks like the real purpose of this thread was to flush the pretentious douchebags from the underbrush, and it's working beautifully.

So is "fokk me running!"

everyday vernacular.

And hell, my paradigm is Pogo, not the least reason for which is his creative alt-English :)

To his credit the OP noted early in this thread that he didn't want to sound like me. That's a healthy approach.
Yes. The burden of knowing that someone is expressly observing one's public and decidedly casual communication style to use as their model is not something I'd be comfortable with beyond my own kids having done so. I was fine with it for them because, as my children, they were going to do so -- and as befits them, retain and discard various aspects of my style to develop their own -- whether I wanted them to or not.

Briefly, I taught English composition, and when I spoke with or wrote to my students, I was cognizant that I was one of many potential models for them. Accordingly, I spoke and wrote in accordance with the expectations of the class. Be that as it may, that context and its exigencies differ from those here. I don't write here the way I would were I to accede to being "watched" for the purpose of serving as an English grammar and usage template of sorts.

Last edited:
So is "fokk me running!"

everyday vernacular.

I don't know what's driving your remarks. I'm going out of my way to implore anyone who might want to not to use me as a model. That is the last thing I'd like to see happen here.

everyday vernacular.

Yes. The burden of knowing that someone is expressly observing one's public and decidedly casual communication style to use as their model is not something I'd be comfortable with beyond my own kids having done so. I was fine with it for them because, as my children, they were going to do so -- and as befits them, retain and discard various aspects of my style to develop their own -- whether I wanted them to or not.

Briefly, I taught English composition, and when I spoke with or wrote to my students, I was cognizant that I was one of many potential models for them. Accordingly, I spoke and wrote in accordance with the expectations of the class. Be that as it may, that context and its exigencies differ from those here. I don't write here the way I would were I to accede to being "watched" for the purpose of serving as an English grammar and usage template of sorts.

Omg, wtf is that.

This is the problem with our teachers. That is utter garbage, and I know very well he thinks it's awesome.

everyday vernacular.

Omg, wtf is that.

This is the problem with our teachers. That is utter garbage, and I know very well he thinks it's awesome.
What?

everyday vernacular.

I don't know what's driving your remarks. I'm going out of my way to implore anyone who might want to not to use me as a model. That is the last thing I'd like to see happen here.

"Please, please don't try to emulate my English. It's far too glorious for the likes of you. Like staring into the sun, it might burn out your linguistic eyes! Be careful!"

:lmao:

Last edited:

everyday vernacular.

Omg, wtf is that.

What?

What?

I said I would rather have Mal teach English than the person who wrote your post.

Omg, wtf is that.

What?

What?

I said I would rather have Mal teach English than the person who wrote your post.
Okay....

Forum List

Back