Why are our children taught that Columbus discovered North America?

It's fairly common knowledge that Vikings were here far earlier. Why are we teaching and inaccurate history? What is the purpose?
Actually the Indians were here earlier than the vikings...
Actually if you could comprehend what you read it never said who was here first. I only questioned what was taught in schools.

As to your post you are wrong. The Myans/Aztec's were here before the Indians lol. But of course if we go back far enough and discuss the land bridge it was Europeans.

You should just shut up so as to not expose your continued ignorance
Um...the Mayans/Aztecs WERE Indians (Native Americans)

It's fairly common knowledge that Vikings were here far earlier. Why are we teaching and inaccurate history? What is the purpose?
Actually if you could comprehend what you read it never said who was here first. I only questioned what was taught in schools.

As to your post you are wrong. The Myans/Aztec's were here before the Indians lol. But of course if we go back far enough and discuss the land bridge it was Europeans.

He's Grampa....

Columbus is celebrated. For people to celebrate something their whole life then be told they're wrong, just means they've been a sucker their whole life, and they don't want to find that out, so they keep with Columbus.

"Why are our children taught that Columbus discovered North America?"

They aren't.
Do you have children currently in school? ...

Yes, and I'm a teacher. Find a high school History text that doesn't mention the Bering Land Bridge or Eric the Red.
I'm not talking about high-school. Perhaps I should have been more specific. Regardless our children are not getting the full facts. Par for the course in our shitty education system I suppose

They aren't.

Yes, and I'm a teacher. Find a high school History text that doesn't mention the Bering Land Bridge or Eric the Red.
I'm not talking about high-school. Perhaps I should have been more specific. Regardless our children are not getting the full facts. Par for the course in our shitty education system I suppose
So..why aren't you volunteering at your local school, running for school board, or getting your teaching credential to help change things?

They aren't.

I'm not talking about high-school. Perhaps I should have been more specific. Regardless our children are not getting the full facts.....

Which ones aren't they getting?

Not in the simplistic fashion he is discussing. He ment native Americans. Had he mentioned Myans he would have typed Myans
This is assglow we're talking about get real.

Not in the simplistic fashion he is discussing. He ment native Americans. Had he mentioned Myans he would have typed Myans
This is assglow we're talking about get real.
You must admit it is true....

Proof of Viking settlement wasn't discovered until 1960. Travel to North America was not continuous and soon after discovery was made by Vikings, the discovery and history was pretty much lost and forgotten. Having been lost, Columbus rediscovered the land mass, or at least some of it's outlying islands. Since no one knew of the previous discovery by the Vikings, his finding land where no one knew land existed was in fact a discovery for everyone in the world except the people who resided there. Columbus discovered America for Europe.

They aren't.

I'm not talking about high-school. Perhaps I should have been more specific. Regardless our children are not getting the full facts.....

They weren't getting anything but the feel good Columbus story. And this was last year I'm talking about. The only reason it came to mind was a history channel program we are watching.

They aren't.

So..why aren't you volunteering at your local school, running for school board, or getting your teaching credential to help change things?
Do you question politicians? Yes, so why aren't you running for a local seat? Stupid dyke.

They aren't.

They weren't getting anything but the feel good Columbus story. And this was last year I'm talking about. The only reason it came to mind was a history channel program we are watching.

Who is "they"?

Who is "they"?
Sigh.....

Your ability to follow along is terrible for a teacher. No wonder our kids are fucked in this education system.

Who is "they"?
Sigh.....

Your ability to follow along is terrible for a teacher. No wonder our kids are fucked in this education system.

Why the resistance to answering the question? You said you weren't talking about high school. What are you talking about?

Who is "they"?
Sigh.....

Why the resistance to answering the question? You said you weren't talking about high school. What are you talking about?
They

CLEARLY refers to the grandchildren and kids I mentioned. There is no resistance except for your apparent inability to realize that everything in your bubble does not equate to the experience of everyone else.

Jesus Christ

Who is "they"?
Sigh.....

They

CLEARLY refers to the grandchildren and kids I mentioned. .....

Is there a reason why you don't want to say what grade they are in? Do you imagine you're not being completely obvious?

Who is "they"?
Sigh.....

They

CLEARLY refers to the grandchildren and kids I mentioned. .....

Is there a reason why you don't want to say what grade they are in? Do you imagine you're not being completely obvious?
What I can imagine is that no one ever requested their grade (4th) Now that same someone has realized what an idiot they've made themselves out to be so that same someone now has to lash out to compensate.

The op is a clearcut question. Trying to justify your arrogance with a new question in every post is retarded.

Your experience =/= everyone elses

Not to mention you tried to imply that I was a racist in the thread about Matthew. After I gave you the finger I get this nonsense in this thread.

If you're not smart enough to know who is or isn't a racist & you fail to follow a simple discussion in this thread, when you cant tell who "they" are, you are probably part of the problem with our education system. Just another in a long line of terrible teachers. After all it is common knowledge that the myth of Columbus discovering the Americas has been taught to our children for some time.

Forum List

Back