Why aren't you wearing an N95 Mask?

If I was sick I would wear a mask if I had to go out in public. I'm not, so I don't simple as that.

What if you are sick and don't know it?
Your are not sick, if have no symptoms. Being asymptomatic means you have the virus in your system and you're producing the antibodies to fight it off. It's called sub-clinical infection since the infection is not causing a disease. Since you have the virus in your system, you can spread it. The same thing happens with many diseases such as the flu and the common cold.

The virus is airborn and can enter through the eyes.
The most common method of transmission is via droplets carrying the virus which comes from coughing, sneezing, and talking. An airborne virus is an aerosol which is much smaller than these respiratory droplets. It's able to stay in air for long periods and able to travel through ventilation systems. It is extremely courageous. There have been some studies indicating that this virus could travel as an aerosol but that is not the common method of transfer.

The most common method of transmission is via droplets carrying the virus which comes from coughing, sneezing, and talking. An airborne virus is an aerosol which is much smaller than these respiratory droplets. It's able to stay in air for long periods and able to travel through ventilation systems. It is extremely courageous. There have been some studies indicating that this virus could travel as an aerosol but that is not the common method of transfer.

From what I've read, if you are in a room with a person with the virus, you won't catch it by being with them in a room for a couple of minutes. It takes an extended time for the virus to actually be impactful, unless (as you said) they sneezed or coughed on you.

N95 masks provide near complete protection for the wearer and others. Suppose there were enough for everyone in the country, imagine how few cases there would be. Business and schools could open almost immediately with little danger to employees and customers or students and teachers. So why aren’t we doing it?

Because we can't make them fast enough.

I know that, that is why I stay away from people, and I don't cough or sneeze. I take allergy meds for that since that is only thing that makes me cough or sneeze.

N95 masks provide near complete protection for the wearer and others. Suppose there were enough for everyone in the country, imagine how few cases there would be. Business and schools could open almost immediately with little danger to employees and customers or students and teachers. So why aren’t we doing it?

As it turns out, the cost of manufacturing an N95 mask is only about 58 cents. The CDC recommends masks are changed every 8 hours of use. It might be a lot less for non-healthcare employees. Assuming a mask could be made available for $1 each and all employers and schools were required to provide masks for employees and students, the cost would be about $15 a month for each full time employee or student. The general public would be required to wear N95 masks in public places with the federal government subsidizing the cost for low income families.

Although the cost is high, about 4 or 5 billion a month it’s a lot less than what the epidemic is costing the country, not to mention the loss of lives and the disruption to the lives of hundreds of millions of people. We could open up schools and business as soon as the masks were available and we probably could do away with most restrictions. If the program was successful, there’s a good chance the virus could be almost eliminated within a few months. Sporting events and concerts and other mass gathering could continue. So why isn't it even being considered?
Wearing a mask and no gloves is pointless
Shit, guys can't even wash their hands after using the restroom
Furthermore, the mexicans wipe their ass and leave the fucking toilet paper
on the fucking floor in the guys bathroom and the sanitary fixture in the woman's

Get sick and get it over with

Problem is some people don't get over it. They die.

If I was sick I would wear a mask if I had to go out in public. I'm not, so I don't simple as that.

What if you are sick and don't know it?

That's the beauty of antibody tests. They would provide a better chance at solving this problem than even N-95 masks. They shipped over a thousand to my state, and what they are finding is a lot of people did have the virus whether they knew it or not. Those people can conduct themselves in society as they have before the virus was known, and not jeopardize people around them.

N95 masks cause hypoxia, headaches, lower your immunity, and unless you are in very close direct proximity to people with Covid19 are STUPID.

Agreed

I don't see any scenario where I wear a mask. Construction is essentially an isolated job.
I laugh when I see idiots driving alone in a car wearing them. Must suck to be that stupid/paranoid

Most construction is done outside, and so far, there is no evidence of contamination between two people who are outdoors unless they hug, kiss, or shake hands.

Produce enuff so peoe that want to wear them can wear them. Business owners will have to let their workers wear them as well

It's really not quite that simple. My sister works at the Cleveland Clinic. She told me (and I've read this in other places) that the N-95 mask is not one where you put it on and are protected. They have to be fitted by medical personnel for them to be almost guaranteed. If you just slap one on, it doesn't mean you will get the same protection as people who do it the right way and have it fitted to the contours of your face.

As it turns out, the cost of manufacturing an N95 mask is only about 58 cents. The CDC recommends masks are changed every 8 hours of use. It might be a lot less for non-healthcare employees. Assuming a mask could be made available for $1 each and all employers and schools were required to provide masks for employees and students, the cost would be about $15 a month for each full time employee or student. The general public would be required to wear N95 masks in public places with the federal government subsidizing the cost for low income families.

Although the cost is high, about 4 or 5 billion a month it’s a lot less than what the epidemic is costing the country, not to mention the loss of lives and the disruption to the lives of hundreds of millions of people. We could open up schools and business as soon as the masks were available and we probably could do away with most restrictions. If the program was successful, there’s a good chance the virus could be almost eliminated within a few months. Sporting events and concerts and other mass gathering could continue. So why isn't it even being considered?

Personally, I've tried to buy them online several times. No luck. So I've gone with a cloth mask Humana has made for us. The trade war the blob started hurt the levels of this and a great many things that suppliers used to keep on hand.

on the fucking floor in the guys bathroom and the sanitary fixture in the woman's

All people die.

So tell the class, which companies make N95 masks sized for children?

Cambridge masks do... Just off the top of my head...

Also, Asian sizes arent much different to a child

Since when do we stop life because life is happening

If 7/10 people were dying I'd get it

There are people who exercise, eat healthy, don't smoke, drink or use drugs
and have a heart attack and die in their 30's

We all die

N95 masks cause hypoxia, headaches, lower your immunity, and unless you are in very close direct proximity to people with Covid19 are STUPID.

Yeah, no. While they can be uncomfortable and inconvenient they certainly don't cause hypoxia or lower your immunity.

Since when do we stop life because life is happening

If 7/10 people were dying I'd get it

There are people who exercise, eat healthy, don't smoke, drink or use drugs
and have a heart attack and die in their 30's

We all die

Yes we do. The only point I was making is that getting the virus and stopping it that way is not applicable to everybody. I certainly can't do that. If I catch it, I'm at high risk of not recovering.

There is no right or wrong decision here. Life or economics are at risk no matter which way we decide to go.

All people die.

Yes we do. But that doesn't mean it's proper to make that more prevalent. Yes, numbers are not that shocking until you or one of your immediate family members are part of that statistic.

All people die.

Yes we do. But that doesn't mean it's proper to make that more prevalent. Yes, numbers are not that shocking until you or one of your immediate family members are part of that statistic.
Almost every friend I have ever had has died young and bloody.

A virus with a survivability rate of over 99% doesn't scare me a damn bit.

From what I've read, if you are in a room with a person with the virus, you won't catch it by being with them in a room for a couple of minutes. It takes an extended time for the virus to actually be impactful, unless (as you said) they sneezed or coughed on you.
You can still catch it even if you are in the room just a few minutes but you are a lot less likely to catch it than if you spend say a half hour. Notice the image below. If a person sneezes are coughs very hard they can send the virus particles up to twelve feet in just a second or so. If the person is talking, then less particles are expelled and travel much slower and they may only reach a few feet. The longer the particles are in the air the further they will fall. Particles can remain in the air for up to 3 hours. However, just because you happen to be in the room, does not mean you will catch the virus. Several things have to happen. First the virus has to enter your body. Most often that is through the mouth or noise but it can also enter through the eyes. So if you happen to be walking through the room and inhale the particles, you are fairly likely to catch it but if you're exhaling, there is a lot less chance. Even if you do get some particles, they have to end up in the right place to hurt you. They can't just hop around looking for a home. They are totally depend on air movement to take them to the right places which is your throat, nasal cavity, or lungs. If it goes just in your mouth, they may not make it to your lungs or throat as they could get washed out. However, if they make it there, then they can break into cells combine proteins and replicate which makes it likely that you will get sick. However, once they breaks into cells, your immune system is immediately notified, your body starts making the necessary antibodies to destroy the virus, and the war begins. If the antibodies overcome the virus, you may not even have any symptoms (asymptomatic) or they may be very mild or the battle could go the other way.

1589429773477.png

Last edited:

Because we can't make them fast enough.
We certainly could make them fast enough if as a nation we decided to do so. It's amazing what a nation can do when the people pull together to win the fight.

Forum List

Back