Why aren't you wearing an N95 Mask?

N95 masks cause hypoxia, headaches, lower your immunity, and unless you are in very close direct proximity to people with Covid19 are STUPID.

Agreed

I don't see any scenario where I wear a mask. Construction is essentially an isolated job.
I laugh when I see idiots driving alone in a car wearing them. Must suck to be that stupid/paranoid
I'm sure exceptions would be made. A person working alone in an office all day would certainly not be wearing a mask. There has to be some common sense in applying rules. Of course some people will not obey rules because they feel it's there right to do anything they please. Epidemiologist use an 85% guideline; that is, if 85% of the people follow the rules, then enough of the virus is denied hosts so it dies out. A lot depends on the social consciousness of the community. In some places in the world rules are violated simple because they are rules. In other places they followed religiously even when there's no penalty.

We don’t even have enough N95 masks for healthcare workers, and I don’t know about the providing near complete protection, but I suppose it would make a difference if everyone had one. It’s an idea.
I thought much the same, then I saw this article where 3M plans to manufacture more than a billion N95 masks by the end of the year. There are many other companies, both large and small that could manufacture N95 masks. It ain't rocket science, two pieces of canvas like material cut and sewed together with a piece of filter material between plus straps and you have mask. A one way value is added so the wearer does not have to breath the same air over and over. The CDC said the N95 masks are very efficient at stopping the virus but not perfect.

How 3M Plans to Make More Than a Billion Masks By End of Year

The filters are the tricky thing to get the supply off...

Saying that wearing a PM2.5 mask is quite effective and (80% v 95%)... The big thing a mask does it reminds you not to touch your face... Even more than airbourne the way to get this is touch something and then wipe your face. We do that way more than we think.

Hand Hygiene & Hand sanitiser is is probably more important.
One study showed that students touch their face 26 times per hour and 44% of the time it involved contact with mucous membrane.

N95 masks provide near complete protection for the wearer and others. Suppose there were enough for everyone in the country, imagine how few cases there would be. Business and schools could open almost immediately with little danger to employees and customers or students and teachers. So why aren’t we doing it?

As it turns out, the cost of manufacturing an N95 mask is only about 58 cents. The CDC recommends masks are changed every 8 hours of use. It might be a lot less for non-healthcare employees. Assuming a mask could be made available for $1 each and all employers and schools were required to provide masks for employees and students, the cost would be about $15 a month for each full time employee or student. The general public would be required to wear N95 masks in public places with the federal government subsidizing the cost for low income families.

Although the cost is high, about 4 or 5 billion a month it’s a lot less than what the epidemic is costing the country, not to mention the loss of lives and the disruption to the lives of hundreds of millions of people. We could open up schools and business as soon as the masks were available and we probably could do away with most restrictions. If the program was successful, there’s a good chance the virus could be almost eliminated within a few months. Sporting events and concerts and other mass gathering could continue. So why isn't it even being considered?
Wearing a mask and no gloves is pointless
Shit, guys can't even wash their hands after using the restroom
Furthermore, the mexicans wipe their ass and leave the fucking toilet paper
on the fucking floor in the guys bathroom and the sanitary fixture in the woman's

Get sick and get it over with

N95 masks cause hypoxia, headaches, lower your immunity, and unless you are in very close direct proximity to people with Covid19 are STUPID.

Agreed

I don't see any scenario where I wear a mask. Construction is essentially an isolated job.
I laugh when I see idiots driving alone in a car wearing them. Must suck to be that stupid/paranoid
I'm sure exceptions would be made. A person working alone in an office all day would certainly not be wearing a mask. There has to be some common sense in applying rules. Of course some people will not obey rules because they feel it's there right to do anything they please. Epidemiologist use an 85% guideline; that is, if 85% of the people follow the rules, then enough of the virus is denied hosts so it dies out. A lot depends on the social consciousness of the community. In some places in the world rules are violated simple because they are rules. In other places they followed religiously even when there's no penalty.
Obviously common sense is important. I would not get on a plane or go into an over crowded public place but at the same time a mask would serve me no purpose in my job. There are no customers around me. Most of the time they aren't even home and I'm there all day alone until kids come home from school. I let myself in and out without any interaction

N95 masks provide near complete protection for the wearer and others. Suppose there were enough for everyone in the country, imagine how few cases there would be. Business and schools could open almost immediately with little danger to employees and customers or students and teachers. So why aren’t we doing it?

As it turns out, the cost of manufacturing an N95 mask is only about 58 cents. The CDC recommends masks are changed every 8 hours of use. It might be a lot less for non-healthcare employees. Assuming a mask could be made available for $1 each and all employers and schools were required to provide masks for employees and students, the cost would be about $15 a month for each full time employee or student. The general public would be required to wear N95 masks in public places with the federal government subsidizing the cost for low income families.

Although the cost is high, about 4 or 5 billion a month it’s a lot less than what the epidemic is costing the country, not to mention the loss of lives and the disruption to the lives of hundreds of millions of people. We could open up schools and business as soon as the masks were available and we probably could do away with most restrictions. If the program was successful, there’s a good chance the virus could be almost eliminated within a few months. Sporting events and concerts and other mass gathering could continue. So why isn't it even being considered?

So tell the class, which companies make N95 masks sized for children?

We don’t even have enough N95 masks for healthcare workers, and I don’t know about the providing near complete protection, but I suppose it would make a difference if everyone had one. It’s an idea.
I thought much the same, then I saw this article where 3M plans to manufacture more than a billion N95 masks by the end of the year. There are many other companies, both large and small that could manufacture N95 masks. It ain't rocket science, two pieces of canvas like material cut and sewed together with a piece of filter material between plus straps and you have mask. A one way value is added so the wearer does not have to breath the same air over and over. The CDC said the N95 masks are very efficient at stopping the virus but not perfect.

Saying that wearing a PM2.5 mask is quite effective and (80% v 95%)... The big thing a mask does it reminds you not to touch your face... Even more than airbourne the way to get this is touch something and then wipe your face. We do that way more than we think.

According to the CDC, the primary method of transfer is through the air, not by touch. I don't think the filtering material itself would be that hard to find. What might be the problem is Niosh approval.

We would need about 3 to 6 billion masks a month. With those qualities, manufactures could produce a number of sizes. I think what might be a bigger problem would be the huge volume required for a relatively short period of time thus giving the manufactures a short time frame to recover their costs and make a profit. If this worked, the virus would not be around that long, hopefully not more than a few years. However, the shorter time frame could increase the cost per piece significantly.

Tough to eat chicken wings while wearing a mask and it gets downright sloppy when you try to drink a beer. Kids would have to take off their masks in the school cafeteria.
Yep but there is no prevention method that's 100%. Masks aren't perfect. Some people won't wear them. The 6 foot rule for separation is just an average. I have a friend who works in biological lab who say, "All the preventive rules in an epidemic are designed to lower the infection rate so the healthcare facilities can keep up with the new cases until either a vaccine is available or the virus dies out for lack of hosts."

According to the CDC, the primary method of transfer is through the air, not by touch. I don't think the filtering material itself would be that hard to find. What might be the problem is Niosh approval.
It would seem to make sense to filter all HVAC systems especially ones in nursing homes.

Basically, the N-95 masks are extremely effective in protecting the user and others. But, they are single use items.

Japanese people wear standard masks when they catch a cold or the flu....in an attempt to prevent others from getting ill. These types of masks are effective for repeated use.

If everyone wears a standard mask, the virus will spread far less quickly.

Just wear a standard mask. Be a patriot.

Basically, the N-95 masks are extremely effective in protecting the user and others. But, they are single use items.

Japanese people wear standard masks when they catch a cold or the flu....in an attempt to prevent others from getting ill. These types of masks are effective for repeated use.

What is a standard mask? A bandana? A Halloween mask?

We would need about 3 to 6 billion masks a month. With those qualities, manufactures could produce a number of sizes. I think what might be a bigger problem would be the huge volume required for a relatively short period of time thus giving the manufactures a short time frame to recover their costs and make a profit. If this worked, the virus would not be around that long, hopefully not more than a few years. However, the shorter time frame could increase the cost per piece significantly.

Well, everyone I see wearing a mask/face covering are constantly messing with them. Kind of defeats the purpose. Plus I wish you luck getting kids in grade school not to mess with them or take them off.

What is a standard mask? A bandana? A Halloween mask?

Bandana. Homemade mask.

Of course. You knew the answer.

Nothing wrong with masking up. We have those that walk around saying "I'm not wearing no mask" because I'm an invincible american.

Forum List

Back