Why can't Americans have a vacation?

Back to OP?- Maybe you have a 4 week vacation, but I'm betting that's after years of work. ALL other modern countries mandate a 4 week paid vacation after 1 year of work. The whole world is full of younger workers seeing the world, whereas by the time OUR workers have the time off, they have families and travel as "bloody tourists" if at all. Maybe why have so many provincial Pubtwits here LOL...not to mention all the other Pubcrappe (see sig) we put up with here.

Not true. Most countries mandate between 10 and 15 workings days. See attached list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_statutory_minimum_employment_leave_by_country

I mean EU, Aus, NZ, Canada, and Japan- I was surprised to see Canada and Japan don't. Probably American influence. They're pretty provincial too. lol

Back to OP?- Maybe you have a 4 week vacation, but I'm betting that's after years of work. ALL other modern countries mandate a 4 week paid vacation after 1 year of work. The whole world is full of younger workers seeing the world, whereas by the time OUR workers have the time off, they have families and travel as "bloody tourists" if at all. Maybe why have so many provincial Pubtwits here LOL...not to mention all the other Pubcrappe (see sig) we put up with here.

Not true. Most countries mandate between 10 and 15 workings days. See attached list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_statutory_minimum_employment_leave_by_country

It's pretty sad that you think that anything beneficial must be mandated by the government.

You forget that what the Government gives, the Government can take away. We would be better off relying upon a healthy civil society in which individuals engage in voluntary arrangements.

It's pretty sad that you think that anything beneficial must be mandated by the government.

You forget that what the Government gives, the Government can take away. We would be better off relying upon a healthy civil society in which individuals engage in voluntary arrangements.

No, it's pretty sad that some people take advantage of their employees and don't give them vacation. If everybody gave their employees a reasonable amount of paid vacation, there would be no need to legislate it.

Every country is at a LEGISLATED vacation mandate of ~ 5 weeks per year, +/- 1 or 2, except the USA, where there is no vacation legislation for workers, and the ridiculously low 2 weeks is a "gift". Why are Americans so freakishly different again? And why do Americans love undercutting themselves this much?

Why do Europeans hate work so much?

If work is so great, why do they have to pay us to do it?

you're free not to work

you choose to sell your labor.

No, it's pretty sad that some people take advantage of their employees and don't give them vacation. If everybody gave their employees a reasonable amount of paid vacation, there would be no need to legislate it.

B'loney.

What's sad is employees who are so uneducated and low skilled that they do not have enough to offer an employer to justify a paid vacation.

What's sad is employees who are so uneducated and low skilled that they do not have enough to offer an employer to justify a paid vacation.

What an entitled and arrogant attitude. YOU deserve a vacations because you're smart and skilled and others do not. Who gets to decide who's smart enough and skilled enough that they deserve a break? You? CrusaderFrank?

EVERYONE needs a vacation, regardless of their age, skill level or what they offer their employer. Well-rested workers who spend vacation time with their families come back well-rested and are more productive. Studies routinely show that workers who are happy, well paid and are more productive. Really, that's just common sense, but I've learned that common sense is a rare and valuable commodity.

Unfortunately, those who are in the position of giving are usually the least likely to.

Frankly, I've seen so much bad behavior from businesses in the 21 years since I left the military, that I just don't give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.

B'loney.

So you are saying that people who are less educated and skilled deserve to be abused?

And you are probably still scratching your head wondering how Obama got a second term.

What an entitled and arrogant attitude. YOU deserve a vacations because you're smart and skilled and others do not. Who gets to decide who's smart enough and skilled enough that they deserve a break? You? CrusaderFrank?

EVERYONE needs a vacation, regardless of their age, skill level or what they offer their employer. Well-rested workers who spend vacation time with their families come back well-rested and are more productive. Studies routinely show that workers who are happy, well paid and are more productive. Really, that's just common sense, but I've learned that common sense is a rare and valuable commodity.

I'll note how you bragged about your vacation in the "I've got mine" attitude for which you criticize others, you pathetic hypocrite.

For someone who wishes to improve his career, job experience matters. The more mandated benefits are layered on low level (especially part time jobs), the less entry level work there will be, and the less upward career opportunities. It's already happening. It's clear you've never hired anyone, so I doubt you understand what an investment it is to take on a completely unexperience, low skilled worker and train him up for the job.

Every country is at a LEGISLATED vacation mandate of ~ 5 weeks per year, +/- 1 or 2, except the USA, where there is no vacation legislation for workers, and the ridiculously low 2 weeks is a "gift". Why are Americans so freakishly different again? And why do Americans love undercutting themselves this much?

why do libs want to have everything handed to them on a silver platter via government mandate...

as opposed to getting off their fat asses and working towards a goal of making themselves useful...?

I'll note how you bragged about your vacation in the "I've got mine" attitude for which you criticize others, you pathetic hypocrite.

For someone who wishes to improve his career, job experience matters. The more mandated benefits are layered on low level (especially part time jobs), the less entry level work there will be, and the less upward career opportunities. It's already happening. It's clear you've never hired anyone, so I doubt you understand what an investment it is to take on a completely unexperience, low skilled worker and train him up for the job.

Funny, I've known managers who've hired people off the street and let their experienced people go because they could "mold them"... (Read- "They haven't worked with me long enough to realize what a two-faced lying bastard I am". )

The horseshit that we just let the businesses do what they want, and they'll do the right thing is silly. When left to their own devices, the wealthy did shit like this...

STP-017_Child-labor-in-SC_1908.jpg

I'll note how you bragged about your vacation in the "I've got mine" attitude for which you criticize others, you pathetic hypocrite..

I never bragged on my vacations. I pointed out that my sector of the economy in my city gets better vacations offered than other communities, mostly because they can't get top experienced people without it, and I'm lucky in that regard.

You said people lacking in skills and education didn't deserve a vacation.

And once again, you would be wrong. I'm well aware of the costs of hiring workers and training them. I work in a country where things like vacation are mandated, and health care is universal and there is no one in this country who says that they can't hire workers because the taxes are too high - and our taxes are HIGHER than yours. Employers have to pay unemployment insurance and health care tax on all workers, in addition to contributions for Canada Pension and employee withholding.

Even the American companies doing business here embrace our system because they're only paying 1% of salary for their employees' health care instead of US private insurance rates.

Because it costs so much to hire and train workers, you'd think that companies would respect that cost and treat their employees well. Such companies are the exception rather than the rule. And that's true here as well.

You know, besides right wingers showing what evil pricks they are in this thread, here's the reality about vacations.

Vacations are good for your workers.

Simply put, I wouldn't want to work with someone who has to bust his ass all the time to make ends meet and never spends any time with his family.

You wingnuts remember families, don't you? you talk about them all the time when you try to justify your homophobia or misogyny...

I can't imagine anything more pro-family than letting people spend quality time with their families.

Nobody ever said on their deathbed, "I wish I spent more time at the office."

Funny, I've known managers who've hired people off the street and let their experienced people go because they could "mold them"... (Read- "They haven't worked with me long enough to realize what a two-faced lying bastard I am". )

Folks who operate with that attitude do so at their own risk... I know of several such short-sighted assholes who've gone out of business...

in some cases, the short-sighted asshole was put out of business by the very guy he fired...

Folks who operate with that attitude do so at their own risk... I know of several such short-sighted assholes who've gone out of business...

in some cases, the short-sighted asshole was put out of business by the very guy he fired...

I'm sure... but frankly, those people are out there.

I've worked for some of them.

I can't imagine their behavior would improve with less government.

The poor work like HELL and get SCREWED by the rich in this country. The mystery is how Pub dupes can be so fecking arrogant and STUPID LOL See sig.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back