🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why Can't Republicans Use Their Own Music?

"Lefties" don't understand business! What a surprise! A band doesn't need consent as long as ASCAP/BMI fees are paid. Welcome to America you stupid leftists!

half true:

"Technically speaking, copyright laws allow political candidates to use just about any song they want, as long as they're played at a stadium, arena or other venue that already has a public-performance license through a songwriters' association such as ASCAP or BMI. However, the law contains plenty of gray area. If a candidate refuses to stop using a song in this scenario, an artist may be able to protect his "right of publicity" – Springsteen's voice blaring over a loudspeaker is part of his image, and he has a right to protect his own image. "It's untested in the political realm," says Lawrence Iser, an intellectual-property lawyer who has represented the Beatles, Michael Jackson and many others. "Even if Donald Trump has the ASCAP right to use a Neil Young song, does Neil have the right to nevertheless go after him on right of publicity? I say he does.""

Why Politicians Keep Using Songs Without Artists' Permission

I didn't know that music had an ideological slant to it. I'll keep that in mind the next time I download something onto my ipod.

All I hear are musicians and lyricists complaining about politicians using their copyrighted sound tracks, Why is it so hard for Republicans to use and proudly display music from right wingers? I know that the CMA is loaded with righties and so is conventional music. Is it because the left has a better message? is more original in thought? Must be because we have a take down letter just about every week.

"The Donald Trump campaign is on the verge of running out of music options as The O'Jays are the latest artists to request that their music not be used in support of the Republican presidential nominee.

Last week at the Republican National Convention, the lyrics to the band's No. 1 hit "Love Train" were remixed to "Trump Train," without the band's consent. Now another one of the R&B group's songs, "For The Love Of Money," has been used without their permission in a pro-Trump video from Rep. John Mica of Florida.

In response to the latest use of their work, attorneys for the O'Jays' two founding members, Eddie Levert and Walter Williams, have sent a cease and desist letter to the congressman, as well as the Trump campaign courtesy of his campaign manager, Paul Manafort.

"We don't appreciate having our music associated with a campaign that is hurtful to so many with whom we have common ground," said Williams. "We've really had enough of this. I'm living proof that America is already great; I came from nothing and everyday I feel blessed to live in the greatest country on earth. We support those who inspire in a positive way as opposed to bullying and using scare tactics." Donald Trump sent cease and desist letter from The O'Jays

Trump Train?
train-wreck.jpg
most republicans are smart enough to write a good song

All I hear are musicians and lyricists complaining about politicians using their copyrighted sound tracks, Why is it so hard for Republicans to use and proudly display music from right wingers? I know that the CMA is loaded with righties and so is conventional music. Is it because the left has a better message? is more original in thought? Must be because we have a take down letter just about every week.

"The Donald Trump campaign is on the verge of running out of music options as The O'Jays are the latest artists to request that their music not be used in support of the Republican presidential nominee.

Last week at the Republican National Convention, the lyrics to the band's No. 1 hit "Love Train" were remixed to "Trump Train," without the band's consent. Now another one of the R&B group's songs, "For The Love Of Money," has been used without their permission in a pro-Trump video from Rep. John Mica of Florida.

In response to the latest use of their work, attorneys for the O'Jays' two founding members, Eddie Levert and Walter Williams, have sent a cease and desist letter to the congressman, as well as the Trump campaign courtesy of his campaign manager, Paul Manafort.

"We don't appreciate having our music associated with a campaign that is hurtful to so many with whom we have common ground," said Williams. "We've really had enough of this. I'm living proof that America is already great; I came from nothing and everyday I feel blessed to live in the greatest country on earth. We support those who inspire in a positive way as opposed to bullying and using scare tactics." Donald Trump sent cease and desist letter from The O'Jays

Trump Train?
train-wreck.jpg

No one said they weren't. They do however like using liberal constructed music to further their message, not Republican. Why is that?

I didn't know that music had an ideological slant to it. I'll keep that in mind the next time I download something onto my ipod.
so you didn't see all the artis who sent to the trumps campaign to stop using their music ... seems you'll have a very short song list on your iPod ... pick someone you like, they told Trump not to play their music

Apparently, no one hear listens to contemporary music.
The average lyric in the last 5 years consists of "remove your panties" and "baby, I want to suck your nipples".

Vince is a Republican. I'd be using "No more Mr. Nice Guy" if I was Trump. Mick was a huge Thatcher supporter. There's a world of music.

So some R's put out a tune that they like where the musicians are idiots not to take the money and run. There's a Bruce Hornsby story here. Back in later. Hannity was the only one that ever played him. He's gone broke now after demanding Hannity never play his tunes again.

:lol:

so you didn't see all the artis who sent to the trumps campaign to stop using their music ... seems you'll have a very short song list on your iPod ... pick someone you like, they told Trump not to play their music

I didn't see how they can tell him not to use the music if they paid for it and some of these songs are so old that to pay royalties on it would be like paying royalties to bethoven at this point.

Trump Train?
train-wreck.jpg

No one said they weren't. They do however like using liberal constructed music to further their message, not Republican. Why is that?
let me ask you this question You're an artist and you have your beliefs on how the country should be run and you have a politician that you are totally against their views and they are playing you music what would you do???

Trump Train?
train-wreck.jpg

OK, if no one else will say it ---

--- because composing music requires thinking creatively.

"Lefties" don't understand business! What a surprise! A band doesn't need consent as long as ASCAP/BMI fees are paid. Welcome to America you stupid leftists!
What you don't understand there is plenty of gray area surrounding that and a musician's image counts, whether you like it or not and is why you see so many cease and desist letters.
some people just don't get it ...

Trump should honor all cease and desist letters. If a musician and group does not want to be associated with a particular campaign, the campaign should be happy to oblige, after all we all want good publicity. This brings the question of why this happens so often and why aren't Republican's looking for music from their own supporters? Democrats don't have this problem, you will never hear a Lee Greenwood song sung at Democratic rallies. Democrats must have a better message in their music.

half true:

"Technically speaking, copyright laws allow political candidates to use just about any song they want, as long as they're played at a stadium, arena or other venue that already has a public-performance license through a songwriters' association such as ASCAP or BMI. However, the law contains plenty of gray area. If a candidate refuses to stop using a song in this scenario, an artist may be able to protect his "right of publicity" – Springsteen's voice blaring over a loudspeaker is part of his image, and he has a right to protect his own image. "It's untested in the political realm," says Lawrence Iser, an intellectual-property lawyer who has represented the Beatles, Michael Jackson and many others. "Even if Donald Trump has the ASCAP right to use a Neil Young song, does Neil have the right to nevertheless go after him on right of publicity? I say he does.""

Why Politicians Keep Using Songs Without Artists' Permission
being a member of ascap and BMI you do have a right to have some one stop using your music ... after saying that when they play the music they also have the right to claim royalties on it ... who determines the royalties ascap and BMI

Rump should just use this. Frank Stokes is long gone, he won't be coming after him. Just change one letter.

Holy hell, why is this even a topic? This is so idiotic there isn't even a word for it...

Pay the fees, use the music, tough shit.

I didn't see how they can tell him not to use the music if they paid for it and some of these songs are so old that to pay royalties on it would be like paying royalties to bethoven at this point.
Because it creates conflict with the image the musician is trying to project. Springsteen sued John McCain and won when he used a song that didn't reinforce Bruce's image.

Forum List

Back