Why can't we ABIDE BY the debt ceiling instead of always raising it?

The govt would not have rendered those services if they knew they were bound by the debt ceiling. THINK!!!!

I agree.
We should stop spending on our military to build and support infrastructure in other countries.
We also need to eliminate corporate subsidies as well as automate many municipal, state and federal functions as they all get our federal tax dollars.

Do you agree?

I'm all for reducing military and corporate welfare but i don't know what you mean by automate state functions.

"Raising the Debt Ceiling" is merely the name of a formality to pay for products/services already rendered.

The govt would not have rendered those services if they knew they were bound by the debt ceiling. THINK!!!!

I agree.
We should stop spending on our military to build and support infrastructure in other countries.
We also need to eliminate corporate subsidies as well as automate many municipal, state and federal functions as they all get our federal tax dollars.

Do you agree?

It's a start.

I don't know why they even have a debt ceiling since it never comes into play when they make decisions to spend money. .

That's the point i made too. Democrats spend and spend and don't give a damn about the debt ceiling. They just demand it be raised every few months!!! That is not at all the idea behind having a debt ceiling -- obviously.

Repubs need a leader who will say that and Boehner is clearly not the one.

Like many a Tea Party / Fox Newser -- you are confused about what the debt ceiling is.

HAHAHA. When you have no rebuttal, say the other person is confused. BTW - you forgot to call me a racist. HAHAHA:clap2:

Set it to infinity and get on to more important things, we are the only country in the world that has such foolishness. It was originally intended to keep spending under control but it does not seem to serve that function or any function other than allowing a minority party to play chicken with economic disaster.

Appoint my wife to be in charge of spending. We'd be in the green in one year.

The idiot RINO Boehner is again trying to help obozo by raising the debt ceiling. Hell - the point of the ceiling is to control govt spending so he should be demanding obozo cut back on spending.:clap2:

John Boehner: 'Increase the Debt Ceiling'

5 Feb 2014, 9:05 AM

With just two days before America hits the debt ceiling deadline, Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) announced on Tuesday his desire to raise it.
"The goal here is to increase the debt ceiling," said Boehner. "Nobody wants to default on our debt."
Treasury Secretary Jack Lew says the nation will hit its debt limit this Friday, February 7th.
"While we're doing this we ought to do something about the jobs and the economy," said Boehner.
Boehner said Republicans have discussed several options for receiving concessions for a debt limit increase but that "no decisions have been made."

It would take a trillion dollar cut in spending to keep the budget under the debt ceiling.

Then do it. Fire up the chainsaw and get slashing.

The idiot RINO Boehner is again trying to help obozo by raising the debt ceiling. Hell - the point of the ceiling is to control govt spending so he should be demanding obozo cut back on spending.:clap2:

It would take a trillion dollar cut in spending to keep the budget under the debt ceiling.

You do not even know what you are saying, have you ever been seriously injured seconds after saying "Hold my beer, I want to do something cool"? Ignorant recklessness didn't used to be a conservative value.

You do not even know what you are saying, have you ever been seriously injured seconds after saying "Hold my beer, I want to do something cool"? Ignorant recklessness didn't used to be a conservative value.

Afraid you won't get your gubmint cheese if we slashed? Too bad.

No I am somewhat concerned about a little thing called "the US economy". I know it isn't that important to republicans but the rest of us kind of like to have jobs and stuff.

I don't know why they even have a debt ceiling since it never comes into play when they make decisions to spend money. .

That's the point i made too. Democrats spend and spend and don't give a damn about the debt ceiling. They just demand it be raised every few months!!! That is not at all the idea behind having a debt ceiling -- obviously.

Repubs need a leader who will say that and Boehner is clearly not the one.

Considering Republicans do exactly the same thing he'd look like quite a hypocrite.

No I am somewhat concerned about a little thing called "the US economy". I know it isn't that important to republicans but the rest of us kind of like to have jobs and stuff.

Considering the low level of employment among working adults and the historically high number of people receiving government assistance under this administration it doesn't look "jobs and stuff" matter a whole hell of a lot to the Democratic Party either.

Obozo has been giving a trillion dollars to the bankers every year since he took office!! That's what he admits to - prolly twice that.

We have to pay for the bail-outs for the rich, corporations and wall street....

We funded science, infrastructure and r@D at this level for the past 30 years. Think about it as these areas aren't the problem.

John Boehner: 'Increase the Debt Ceiling'

5 Feb 2014, 9:05 AM

With just two days before America hits the debt ceiling deadline, Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) announced on Tuesday his desire to raise it.
"The goal here is to increase the debt ceiling," said Boehner. "Nobody wants to default on our debt."
Treasury Secretary Jack Lew says the nation will hit its debt limit this Friday, February 7th.
"While we're doing this we ought to do something about the jobs and the economy," said Boehner.
Boehner said Republicans have discussed several options for receiving concessions for a debt limit increase but that "no decisions have been made."

Like most people, you don't udnerstand what the debt ceiling is. Not your fault or their's, it's poorly named which leads to this misunderstanding.

United States debt ceiling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The United States debt ceiling or debt limit is a legislative mechanism to limit the amount of national debt that can be issued by the Treasury. The debt ceiling is an aggregate figure which applies to the gross debt, which includes debt in the hands of the public and in intra-government accounts. (About 0.5% of debt is not covered by the ceiling.[1]) Because expenditures are authorized by separate legislation, the debt ceiling does not directly limit government deficits. [This is your and most other people's confusion] In effect, it can only restrain Treasury from paying for expenditures after the limit has been reached, but which have already been approved (in the budget) and appropriated.

When the debt ceiling is actually reached without an increase in the limit having been enacted, Treasury will need to resort to "extraordinary measures" to temporarily finance government expenditures and obligations until a resolution can be reached. The Treasury has never reached the point of exhausting extraordinary measures, resulting in default, though Congress on several occasions looked like it would allow a default to take place. If this situation were to occur, it is unclear whether Treasury would be able to prioritize payments on debt to avoid a default on its debt obligations, but it would at least have to default on some of its non-debt obligations. A default could trigger a variety of economic problems including a financial crisis and a decline in output that would put the country into a recession"

Last sentence above is optimistic about what would happen. More like WWIII, depression, and total anarchy.

Last edited:
Why can't we ABIDE BY the debt ceiling instead of always raising it?

Because if we abided by a debt ceiling or a debt limit, words would have to have MEANING;

and the liberals wouldn't know how to cope with such a universe.

Forum List

Back