Why can't we ABIDE BY the debt ceiling instead of always raising it?

We have to pay for the bail-outs for the rich, corporations and wall street....

We funded science, infrastructure and r@D at this level for the past 30 years. Think about it as these areas aren't the problem.

Broken record is broken

We funded science, infrastructure and r@D at this level for the past 30 years. Think about it as these areas aren't the problem.

Broken record is broken

Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken
Broken record is broken

Broken record is broken

Your side with your broken record is what you're talking about :eusa_hand: Honestly, look up infrastructure, science and r@D spending of the past 30 years. How can something that hasn't changed be the problem?

How is this sane economic policy? Gutting the thing that makes us the power and standing by 80 billion dollars in wall-street give aways every few months.

Look up the reality.

Last edited:
What is causing the debt
1. The nation building. You don't care that we're building schools in foreign countries as our children do without.
2. Our healthcare system
3. welfare like foodstamps, ssd, etc. One of the biggest parts of our debt.
4. The give aways to wall street.

The tea party hates that every child can get a education.
The tea party hates that America can land things on other worlds like no other nation on earth.
The tea party hates that America has the best science and tech industry on earth...

I am a supporter of the private sector as it allows the common joe to become something great. ON the other hand it isn't everything.

What is causing the debt
1. The nation building. You don't care that we're building schools in foreign countries as our children do without.
2. Our healthcare system
3. welfare like foodstamps, ssd, etc. One of the biggest parts of our debt.
4. The give aways to wall street.

ALL of the foregoing answers are misguided and, basically, incorrect.

Can ANYBODY cite the TRUE major indebtedness of this once proud Republic?

Broken record is broken

Your side with your broken record is what you're talking about :eusa_hand: Honestly, look up infrastructure, science and r@D spending of the past 30 years. How can something that hasn't changed be the problem?

How is this sane economic policy? Gutting the thing that makes us the power and standing by 80 billion dollars in wall-street give aways every few months.

Look up the reality.

Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

Like most people, you don't udnerstand what the debt ceiling is. Not your fault or their's, it's poorly named which leads to this misunderstanding.

United States debt ceiling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The United States debt ceiling or debt limit is a legislative mechanism to limit the amount of national debt that can be issued by the Treasury. The debt ceiling is an aggregate figure which applies to the gross debt, which includes debt in the hands of the public and in intra-government accounts. (About 0.5% of debt is not covered by the ceiling.[1]) Because expenditures are authorized by separate legislation, the debt ceiling does not directly limit government deficits. [This is your and most other people's confusion] In effect, it can only restrain Treasury from paying for expenditures after the limit has been reached, but which have already been approved (in the budget) and appropriated.

I answered that objection earlier in this thread. Everyone knows that most of the debt is from money spent months earlier. But if the legislatures knew the debt ceiling would NOT be raised, they would not have authorized those expenditures.

The govt would not have rendered those services if they knew they were bound by the debt ceiling. THINK!!!!

I agree.
We should stop spending on our military to build and support infrastructure in other countries.
We also need to eliminate corporate subsidies as well as automate many municipal, state and federal functions as they all get our federal tax dollars.

Do you agree?

I'm all for reducing military and corporate welfare but i don't know what you mean by automate state functions.

There exists on Municipal, State and the Federal level an abundance of non-automated procedures.
Automating much of this will reduce costs and time and paper.
A major problem with our national economic infrastructure is that Federal Taxes flood back to the States and Municipalities which DO NOT WANT efficiency because the civil work force is, in many ways, redundant.

"Raising the Debt Ceiling" is merely the name of a formality to pay for products/services already rendered.

Then STOP requesting new products & services.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled semantics

As long as you can advise the State of Virginia how to prepare for it's coming bankruptcy.
Not to mention the thousands of private vendors that will go bankrupt.

The debt ceiling, since its inception, has been no more solid than my credit card limit. If I get near the limit, I call and they raise it. Mr. Obama gets close and the Congress bumps it up after some wrangling. But, its not just Obama, but every president.

Its useless and should be abolished, as it does more harm to America than good.

The debt ceiling, since its inception, has been no more solid than my credit card limit. If I get near the limit, I call and they raise it. Mr. Obama gets close and the Congress bumps it up after some wrangling. But, its not just Obama, but every president.

Its useless and should be abolished, as it does more harm to America than good.

It's actually the politicians who can't stop themselves from spending money that doesn't exist that's doing the harm to America, not the debt ceiling.

The idiot RINO Boehner is again trying to help obozo by raising the debt ceiling. Hell - the point of the ceiling is to control govt spending so he should be demanding obozo cut back on spending.:clap2:

Reagan Raised the debt ceiling 18 times
Reagan Starting Debt: $985 billion
Reagan Ending Debt: $2.8 trillion

By the time he left office in 1989, Ronald Reagan more than equaled the entire debt burden produced by the previous 200 years of American history. This from the father of modern conservatism. What a sick fucking joke.

Bush Raised the debt ceiling 7 times

Bush Starting Debt: $6.4 trillion
Bush Ending Debt: $11.315 trillion

Republican majorities voted to raise the U.S. debt ceiling seven times while George W. Bush sat in the Oval Office.

We never heard a peep from you when your presidents raised the debt ceiling.

When Bush and the Republicans controlled the Presidency, Senate and House, they raised the debt ceiling 7 times. FOX News didn't spend 1 minute covering it and you don't even know it occurred. How is it possible that when your side had 100% control of Washington that they raised the debt limit more times than Obama?

Please turn off Fox News and take your brain back.

We know the Dems like to spend. They admit it. But your side claims to be against spending, so why do you always spend more than the Dems? How can we fix this problem if you won't hold your own party accountable? How can we fix this problem if one side is so controlled by propaganda that they don't know basic facts on the public record? Please get all the data and have the moral courage to reign in your own party when they hold power.

Last edited:
You'd think that after going over this a half dozen times in the past 4 years, nutters would have a better grasp on what the debt ceiling is.

Concern trolls...........keep on diggin', bitches.

Well to answer what the debt ceiling is and answer the OP I offer you this from Obama in 2006. Now, it' all adds up because seeing as Obama is a failed leader it makes perfect sense that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit.

“The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can’t pay its own bills. ... I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.”

The idiot RINO Boehner is again trying to help obozo by raising the debt ceiling. Hell - the point of the ceiling is to control govt spending so he should be demanding obozo cut back on spending.:clap2:

Reagan Raised the debt ceiling 18 times
Reagan Starting Debt: $985 billion
Reagan Ending Debt: $2.8 trillion

By the time he left office in 1989, Ronald Reagan more than equaled the entire debt burden produced by the previous 200 years of American history. This from the father of modern conservatism. What a sick fucking joke.

Bush Raised the debt ceiling 7 times

Bush Starting Debt: $6.4 trillion
Bush Ending Debt: $11.315 trillion

Republican majorities voted to raise the U.S. debt ceiling seven times while George W. Bush sat in the Oval Office.

We never heard a peep from you when your presidents raised the debt ceiling.

When Bush and the Republicans controlled the Presidency, Senate and House, they raised the debt ceiling 7 times. FOX News didn't spend 1 minute covering it and you don't even know it occurred. How is it possible that when your side had 100% control of Washington that they raised the debt limit more times than Obama?

Please turn off Fox News and take your brain back.

We know the Dems like to spend. They admit it. But your side claims to be against spending, so why do you always spend more than the Dems? How can we fix this problem if you won't hold your own party accountable? How can we fix this problem if one side is so controlled by propaganda that they don't know basic facts on the public record? Please get all the data and have the moral courage to reign in your own party when they hold power.

And now the obstructionist Obama voted against it when he was in the senate. The question is do you dislike Reagan and Bush for doing the same things Obama is doing?

You do not even know what you are saying, have you ever been seriously injured seconds after saying "Hold my beer, I want to do something cool"? Ignorant recklessness didn't used to be a conservative value.

Afraid you won't get your gubmint cheese if we slashed? Too bad.

No I am somewhat concerned about a little thing called "the US economy". I know it isn't that important to republicans but the rest of us kind of like to have jobs and stuff.

No you're not. If you were, you'd be supporting republican efforts instead of democrat efforts. Democrats are in control......tell me how the the US economy, jobs and stuff are currently faring? The democrat solution so far has been to tax more and give more. Hell, your screen name clearly indicates your position. You believe that there is a finite pie and that rich people are eating it all and leaving now for you and that you deserve your "fair share". That isn't concern for the economy or job, it's pure ignorance.

Last edited:
Since infaustructure has been cut to the lowest levels since the 1990's
Science the lowest levels since 2005
R@d the lowest levels since 2007

We can exclude them from causing the increase of the debt. Hell, science like nws, nasa and jpl have been cut to lowest levels in decades.

How is healthcare, wall street bailouts and welfare not the cause?

Last edited:
"Raising the Debt Ceiling" is merely the name of a formality to pay for products/services already rendered.

The govt would not have rendered those services if they knew they were bound by the debt ceiling. THINK!!!!

I agree.
We should stop spending on our military to build and support infrastructure in other countries.
We also need to eliminate corporate subsidies as well as automate many municipal, state and federal functions as they all get our federal tax dollars.

Do you agree?
NO, the military spending is a legitimate expenditure.

And you are wrong that it is a necessity to pay for already spent money.

To increase the debt ceiling is nothing but code for , "I want to spend even more."

Because money isn't based on anythign of real value, it's supply is literally infinite. Only thing limiting it is inflation concerns. Consequently, the National Debt has no upper limit, and because of how high it already is it can never actually be paid off, so raising it more doesn't actually mean anything. But if we don't continually raise the debt ceiling, we'll default on this debt and everything will end. Lights, water, government services, defense, everythign requiring money will come to an end, which is everything.

People who have bunkers for end of the world types of things have default on the national debt as one of their concerns, and rightly so.

Would someone explain to me exactly what this "debt ceiling" is.

Why can't the stupid politicians just decide not to spend more than comes in? :(

Forum List

Back