Why did Reagan Administration grant tax-free religious status to Scientology?

It was reported at the time that the meeting between administration officials and Scientology officials lasted as little as 10 minutes.

Why would Reagan grant tax-free status to a bunch of kooks?

No, but he fired all the air traffic controllers who went on strike. 1981! Union busting at it's best. :D

Shame on Reagan for enforcing the law. Just because he took an oath to do so doesn't mean he really had to.

per 5 USC 7311, An individual may not accept or hold a position in the Government of the United States or the government of the District of Columbia if he- (1) advocates the overthrow of our constitutional form of government; (2) is a member of an organization that he knows advocates the overthrow of our constitutional form of government; (3) participates in a strike, or asserts the right to strike, against the Government of the United States or the government of the District of Columbia; or (4) is a member of an organization of employees of the Government of the United States or of individuals employed by the government of the District of Columbia that he knows asserts the right to strike against the Government of the United States or the government of the District of Columbia.
Read more: Can federal employees strike

Last edited:
It was reported at the time that the meeting between administration officials and Scientology officials lasted as little as 10 minutes.

Reagan didn't.

In 1979 Hubbard's wife, Mary Sue Hubbard, along with ten other highly placed Scientology executives were convicted in United States federal court regarding Operation Snow White, and served time in an American federal prison. Operation Snow White involved infiltration, wiretapping and theft of documents in government offices, most notably those of the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

In 1993, however, the United States IRS recognized Scientology as a "non-profit charitable organization," and gave it the same legal protections and favorable tax treatment extended to other non-profit charitable organizations.

CaféAuLait;5566125 said:

I'm trying to figure out what the heck your talking about.

Scientology was not granted tax free status or any settlement by the IRS until 1993 under Bill Clinton:

The Church of Scientology paid the federal government $12.5 million as part of a broad 1993 settlement with the Internal Revenue Service under which the church's main branch secured its tax-exempt status.

According to a copy of the settlement, details of which have never before been made public, the church also agreed to set up a special "church tax-compliance committee," composed of high-level church officials, to monitor its adherence to the pact and to laws governing nonprofit organizations.

Further, the church agreed to drop thousands of lawsuits filed against the IRS in courts around the country and to stop assisting people or groups suing the agency based upon claims prior to Oct. 1, 1993, the settlement date. Any Scientology member or organization that sues based on those claims could face IRS penalties.

The 1993 agreement was nearly unprecedented and brought an end to an extraordinary battle. Starting in 1967, the IRS had argued that the main Scientology church should lose its tax-exempt status because it was a for-profit business that enriched church officials. The church's response was an all-out attack: filing suits against the IRS, feeding negative stories about the agency to news organizations, and supporting IRS whistle-blowers.
Scientologists and IRS settled for $12.5 million - 30 Dec 1997

It was a long process. It started with the battles with the IRS in the 1970s, escalated under Reagan, then they were finally given tax-free status under Bush's IRS Commissioner Goldberg. After all the details were worked out pertaining to the numerous lawsuits filed by the CoS against the IRS, their agreement was finally made public in 1993. It took another 4 years for the settlement you linked to.

They were given tax exempt status in 1993 and the law suit was settled in 1997. As I recall, Bill Clinton was President from 1993 until 2001.

to me no.....it seems more like a philosophy.....my opinion is a "religion" has to have something you worship,like a god or gods.....not just following some guys way of life.....if you dont pray to someone,to me,its no religion......no tax-exempt status....
Good point. Do Scientologists worship L. Ron Hubbard? I know that they cite him constantly and have abbreviations for it.

Do Moonies get tax-exempt status, also?

maybe they follow Landru....they sometimes act like it....:eusa_eh:
:lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bhueml6MqI]Landru Speaks - Star Trek TOS - Return of the Archons - YouTube[/ame]

Not jumping through your hoops. I've provided plenty of cites to what ex-Scientologists have said. They know better than me. Read what they have to say. They can't all be lying. If there's a dodge going on, it's your attempt to suppress any mention of CoS. Why would that be? :eusa_think:
Just what I thought you are pathetic.
You must be a Scientologist. :lol:

Did seem like he was trying to "handle" me by never answering a question or even acknowledging that a valid question was asked.

The Constitution doesn't say "Congress shall make no law prohibiting the free exercise of religion, unless it's one that is unpopular and which the general population believes is a mind controlling cult built on fantasy"

You don't have to like scientology. Heck, you dont have to think it's a serious religion. But people consider it their religion. And the Constitution says government cant make any law prohibiting the free exercise of any religion and that includes tax laws.

Id rather people be free than to have the government try to determine what group is a real religion or not.

The Constitution doesn't say "Congress shall make no law prohibiting the free exercise of religion, unless it's one that is unpopular and which the general population believes is a mind controlling cult built on fantasy"

You don't have to like scientology. Heck, you dont have to think it's a serious religion. But people consider it their religion. And the Constitution says government cant make any law prohibiting the free exercise of any religion and that includes tax laws.

Id rather people be free than to have the government try to determine what group is a real religion or not.

Try reading some of the web pages cited before making such an uninformed comment. For evil to triumph all it takes is for good people to do nothing.

They were given tax exempt status in 1993 and the law suit was settled in 1997. As I recall, Bill Clinton was President from 1993 until 2001.

I agree that who was president isn't nearly as important as making sure as many people as possible recognize Scientology as a dangerous mind-control cult.

Understanding Scientology / Preface

The only reason I commented was because the intent of the OP was to smear President Reagan.

I agree with your analysis of the Scientology cult if you are interested. However, the underlying reason for the uproar, IMO, is the fact that California needs the tax revenue. What better way than having the Scientology cults tax exempt status revoked.

And, that has happened before. Remember that dangerous organization named the Christian Coalition? I believe they lost their tax exemption because they were handing out pamphlets that named their preference in elections. The horror!

Cause he and his Nancy were as crazy as the dicredited scientbollockists...that's why.theliq

I agree that who was president isn't nearly as important as making sure as many people as possible recognize Scientology as a dangerous mind-control cult.

Understanding Scientology / Preface

The only reason I commented was because the intent of the OP was to smear President Reagan.

I agree with your analysis of the Scientology cult if you are interested. However, the underlying reason for the uproar, IMO, is the fact that California needs the tax revenue. What better way than having the Scientology cults tax exempt status revoked.

And, that has happened before. Remember that dangerous organization named the Christian Coalition? I believe they lost their tax exemption because they were handing out pamphlets that named their preference in elections. The horror!

There's a big difference between a technical election violation and the kind of criminality CoS engages in. Taxing them really wouldn't go far enough, IMO. I think a RICO prosecution would be more to the point.

Reagan didn't.

In 1979 Hubbard's wife, Mary Sue Hubbard, along with ten other highly placed Scientology executives were convicted in United States federal court regarding Operation Snow White, and served time in an American federal prison. Operation Snow White involved infiltration, wiretapping and theft of documents in government offices, most notably those of the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

In 1993, however, the United States IRS recognized Scientology as a "non-profit charitable organization," and gave it the same legal protections and favorable tax treatment extended to other non-profit charitable organizations.

He can't hear you. He is wearing his Making Shit Up earplugs.

Forum List

Back