🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why didn't we hear about the deficit during the Bush administration?

Tomorrow is the State of the Union and Obama will be talking about the huge deficit we have. Why didn't we ever hear about it during the Bush admin when during his admin the national debt was more than doubled? The deficits were huge!

But Bush hid them. He didn't put the two wars in the budget like Obama is doing. Remember all those emergency supplementals that congress voted on every few months? 250 billion here, 500 billion there, to fund the wars. We don't have those anymore, because the wars are funded, out in the open, by the budget.

But now, we see the deficit spending that these wars are causing, and suddenly everyone's all outraged.

This money has been draining our treasury for 8 years already.

09/30/2009 11,909,829,003,511.75
09/30/2008 10,024,724,896,912.49
09/30/2007 9,007,653,372,262.48
09/30/2006 8,506,973,899,215.23
09/30/2005 7,932,709,661,723.50
09/30/2004 7,379,052,696,330.32
09/30/2003 6,783,231,062,743.62
09/30/2002 6,228,235,965,597.16
09/30/2001 5,807,463,412,200.06
09/30/2000 5,674,178,209,886.86

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 2000 - 2009

The 2009 debt number is from the Bush administration's fiscal year. When they post the 2010 numbers, that will be Obama's.

So I was just wondering why the media is so stupid? They keep talking about the huge deficit in the Obama admin. But they never mentioned the doubling of the national debt under the Bush admin. Are they really so stupid that they didn't realize all those war supplementals weren't in the budget and therefore hidden away each year?

You are right. The media is stupid.

Reagan and the two Bushes created 92% of the National Debt by lowering taxes on the rich and increasing wasteful military spending.

And yet Republicans dishonestly claim to be the party of fiscal responsibility.

Why do they keep lying?

The thing I remember the most about Katrina was gas prices SOARING over $3.00 overnight because of it and then they never really came back down.

Weird, huh?
You didn't see nuthin'....I was in Atlanta at the time. :ack-1:

That might have been a good time to take a vacation outta there for a while.
It would've been, but I was there doing real estate bird dogging for and learning some buying/selling techniques from a friend.

The city ended up being even more of a freak show than normal.

Yup ... they spiked after Katrina ... then we had the bubble ... it popped ... and gas has pretty much settled where it was shortly after Katrina.

I read recently that the two bubbles which will pop next are oil and gold.

All those people that bought gold from Glenn Beck's sponsors are going to be pissed.

I made a few bucks in gold last year. I'm out now. I'd love to see oil prices plummet.

me too, so I can buy into the companies dirt cheap. :badgrin:

what about his tax cuts for the middle class and poor? i'm not rich and they saved me $2400 last year.

seriously, i've tried to tell uber libs this and they can't accept it. at the time i was in school and not making a lot of money, yet i got the tax cuts (actually rebate). the old guy next to me on a fixed income, partial supp income, got the tax cuts, and on and on.....ironically the old guy, a repub, thought it was stupid as since he was single, what the darn hell is $600 bucks going to for him....

the fact is, the tax cut/rebate he gave both times put money into mostly the lower to middle class folks. if you made over a certain amount, you didn't get the bush rebate.

most libs accept this, but the uber left continues in denial

A rebate is a rebate. Everybody got one.

A tax cut is a tax cut. The millionaires got one.

i got one....i guess i is a millionaire....move over Jed Clampett...

Tomorrow is the State of the Union and Obama will be talking about the huge deficit we have. Why didn't we ever hear about it during the Bush admin when during his admin the national debt was more than doubled? The deficits were huge!

But Bush hid them. He didn't put the two wars in the budget like Obama is doing. Remember all those emergency supplementals that congress voted on every few months? 250 billion here, 500 billion there, to fund the wars. We don't have those anymore, because the wars are funded, out in the open, by the budget.

But now, we see the deficit spending that these wars are causing, and suddenly everyone's all outraged.

This money has been draining our treasury for 8 years already.

09/30/2009 11,909,829,003,511.75
09/30/2008 10,024,724,896,912.49
09/30/2007 9,007,653,372,262.48
09/30/2006 8,506,973,899,215.23
09/30/2005 7,932,709,661,723.50
09/30/2004 7,379,052,696,330.32
09/30/2003 6,783,231,062,743.62
09/30/2002 6,228,235,965,597.16
09/30/2001 5,807,463,412,200.06
09/30/2000 5,674,178,209,886.86

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 2000 - 2009

The 2009 debt number is from the Bush administration's fiscal year. When they post the 2010 numbers, that will be Obama's.

So I was just wondering why the media is so stupid? They keep talking about the huge deficit in the Obama admin. But they never mentioned the doubling of the national debt under the Bush admin. Are they really so stupid that they didn't realize all those war supplementals weren't in the budget and therefore hidden away each year?

You are right. The media is stupid.

Reagan and the two Bushes created 92% of the National Debt by lowering taxes on the rich and increasing wasteful military spending.

And yet Republicans dishonestly claim to be the party of fiscal responsibility.

Why do they keep lying?

Because people keep believing them.

The Big Lie of the Republican Party is the tax cut.

If you cut taxes and raise spending, you are actually raising taxes and passing the debt on to the next President.

I got into ford a few months ago, but not as soon as I had wanted.

I wish I invested in Apple back in December of 08. Would of made over double what I had originally invested.

Ford? Forget about it. :lol:

I mean eleven times what you invested? Deals like that don't come around often.

Though I have a feeling that China's bubble is going to take a hit in the near future.

seriously, i've tried to tell uber libs this and they can't accept it. at the time i was in school and not making a lot of money, yet i got the tax cuts (actually rebate). the old guy next to me on a fixed income, partial supp income, got the tax cuts, and on and on.....ironically the old guy, a repub, thought it was stupid as since he was single, what the darn hell is $600 bucks going to for him....

the fact is, the tax cut/rebate he gave both times put money into mostly the lower to middle class folks. if you made over a certain amount, you didn't get the bush rebate.

most libs accept this, but the uber left continues in denial

A rebate is a rebate. Everybody got one.

A tax cut is a tax cut. The millionaires got one.

I'm not a millionaire, and I got a tax cut. figure that out.

he cant....Rdean told him if you wanna hang with me and Nance.....you did not get a tax cut....

I wish I invested in Apple back in December of 08. Would of made over double what I had originally invested.

i wanted to get in at 5 but couldn't. when it was a dollar, i think that was before they said they didn't need govt money.

Though I have a feeling that China's bubble is going to take a hit in the near future.

Anybody with the balls to buy into to the market in March of last year made a bundle of money.

i wanted to get in at 5 but couldn't. when it was a dollar, i think that was before they said they didn't need govt money.

I would of bought at $1 if I had the money. I would of invested my entire savings at that point which was over $1000. There is no way that the Government was going to allow Ford to fail. And if I had gone through with it, I'd be sitting on at least $11,000 today. :lol:

If you notice my edit (or if you haven't), I have a feeling that China is going to take a hit soon bubble wise.

Why didn't we hear about the deficit during the Bush administration?
When not waving the flag, Rush and Hannity bemoaned it quite often. Beck mocked and chided Shrub and the congress constantly. Guys like Boortz and Jason Lewis were going absolutely nuts. Then, there were the dems and their compliant media toadies, who pissed and moaned about it in conjunction with the tax cuts for those eeeeeevil "wealthy" people.

Whoever didn't hear about deficits exploding during Chimpy McShrub's eight years had to have been living on a deserted island, with Gilligan and the gang.

i always liked Mary Ann....:eusa_drool:.....

Yup ... they spiked after Katrina ... then we had the bubble ... it popped ... and gas has pretty much settled where it was shortly after Katrina.

fwiw, I've never heard of the site I linked to there but after a brief look it seemed well run and respectable enough for our purposes.

I'm familiar with the site ... during the last big upswing in prices I used gasbuddy to find the best prices in my area and to monitor national prices.

I would of bought at $1 if I had the money. I would of invested my entire savings at that point which was over $1000. There is no way that the Government was going to allow Ford to fail. And if I had gone through with it, I'd be sitting on at least $11,000 today. :lol:

If you notice my edit (or if you haven't), I have a feeling that China is going to take a hit soon bubble wise.

how did you know they would let GM fail, but not Ford?

Forum List

Back