Why Do Americans Love to Blame Teachers So Much?

Colleges no longer fail students. When was the last time you heard of a kid flunking out of university. Teacher are told not to fail students, rather to work with them to help them pass, because they're desperate to keep the parents/students paying tuition. Teachers who fail students get their knuckles rapped by administration.

Schooling in the US is all about the money.

Healthcare has its critics, but few of them are calling for doctors to be replaced. Education is different—and it has been throughout U.S. history.

People have a lot more experience with teachers than with doctors. For 12 years of our lives we've spent all day, 180 days a year, in a teacher's company. A doctor we see only once a year or so for a few minutes. And what a doctor does is naturally more mysterious than what a teacher does.

Discussions of education in the U.S. have repeatedly been framed in terms of moral panics. A moral panic occurs when "policymakers and the media focus on a single class of people…as emblems of a large, complex social problem." That single class of people is then systematically demonized, as politicians and pundits present "worst of the worst" cases as emblematic of the whole.
In fact, I think you could argue that moral panics do more than demonize a group of people.

Or maybe because most Americans either sweat their lives away at a dull-blue collar job, or enter into a corporate jungle where whatever they do is never enough, and advancement is usually due to the ability to suck up to authority and play office politics.

If you don't blame the educators of your children, there's only one other group potentially culpable: the parents. :)
Yup, we blame your parents, good point.

I don't blame teachers, as they are doing what they can on a small salary, and limited resources from schools.
That said, public schools need a lot of work, as I have seen teachers just giving up - and letting kids run wild.
Parents can be even worse, if they don't help with homework or take an interest in their child's future.
Have to feel sorry for kids that grow up in homes where both parents are into drugs or alcohol, and don't get any support.
dildo-1.jpg

Can you explain her actions with small salary and limited resources from the school?

I don't blame teachers, as they are doing what they can on a small salary, and limited resources from schools.
That said, public schools need a lot of work, as I have seen teachers just giving up - and letting kids run wild.
Parents can be even worse, if they don't help with homework or take an interest in their child's future.
Have to feel sorry for kids that grow up in homes where both parents are into drugs or alcohol, and don't get any support.
dildo-1.jpg

Can you explain her actions with small salary and limited resources from the school?
Sex ed, as there is no link.

dildo-1.jpg

Maybe this can explain it

snopes.com Florida Teacher Suspended After Shocking Sex Ed Demonstration

dildo-1.jpg

How do you think, was this action, this kind of sex ed an appropriate?
Even more, is it necessary to educate 6th graders how to use strap-on sex toys?

dildo-1.jpg

How do you think, was this action, this kind of sex ed an appropriate?
Even more, is it necessary to educate 6th graders how to use strap-on sex toys?
According to the Snopes link, she is an owner of a sex-store rather than a teacher, and visits Toronto high schools: Sex It s free healthy and good for the soul Toronto Star
Recently Jansen's skill in normalizing conversations about sex has led to invitations from Toronto high schools, usually phys. ed. or guidance teachers who realize they don't have enough training in sex education. In the past 18 months or so, she's been to a dozen schools to talk about sexual health including the joy of sex – something different from charts showing diligent sperm swimming up Fallopian tubes and warnings about sexually transmitted infections.
Depends on how sexually active the kids are, and teaching them early might help them avoid STD's and other problems later on if they know how to use stuff.

But this is hardly as bad as the Monty python parody of sex education:

If folks are involved they can change things on the local level, including who's on the ballot.
That's the point, people aren't involved, and it's doubtful that they ever will be. We live in a mostly passive society. Everyone waits for someone else to make the noise and get the ball rolling.

Then they get what they deserve don't they.
Yes they do. But, what about the rest of us? Do we not suffer the consequences of their actions, or inactions? It's just like this forum where some of us try real hard to educate those blind to the workings of politics, and they turn a deaf ear to every single word.

That's the beauty of federalism, if you don't like it where you are you are free to move to a place that is more acceptable. Detroit is a fine example of what happens when it gets beyond the point of no return, looks like Chicago and Baltimore aren't far behind.
And this country as a whole is getting closer to ruin and collapse as we speak. It's not just cities, it's states, and this nation. We've been in a downward spiral for a half century now, and it's not going to get better.
Note to self: Buy more ammo!

If folks are involved they can change things on the local level, including who's on the ballot.
That's the point, people aren't involved, and it's doubtful that they ever will be. We live in a mostly passive society. Everyone waits for someone else to make the noise and get the ball rolling.

Then they get what they deserve don't they.
Yes they do. But, what about the rest of us? Do we not suffer the consequences of their actions, or inactions? It's just like this forum where some of us try real hard to educate those blind to the workings of politics, and they turn a deaf ear to every single word.

That's the beauty of federalism, if you don't like it where you are you are free to move to a place that is more acceptable. Detroit is a fine example of what happens when it gets beyond the point of no return, looks like Chicago and Baltimore aren't far behind.
And this country as a whole is getting closer to ruin and collapse as we speak. It's not just cities, it's states, and this nation. We've been in a downward spiral for a half century now, and it's not going to get better.

With that attitude it won't get any better, it wasn't changed by accident and it won't be fixed by complacency. I decided more than 40 years ago not to bring a child into this world because I saw what was coming, there are people determined to undermine the very fabric of this country and so far we have been losing to them. That doesn't mean it's a lost cause and the tide has began to shift somewhat, but there's still much work to do because so many didn't see it coming.

Americans blame teachers because they can't figure out the real reason for education struggles. If they wanted to find the cause, all they need is a mirror. Parents today are educationally apathetic and look to blame teachers, unions, etc. When in reality the average teacher has ALOT of external factors working against them. Its almost become an impossible job considering today's youth need to be coddled and any discipline is unwelcome by the parents. You aren't going to reprimand my kid is now the prevailing ideal. Parents don't support teachers today, they look to confront them. Who would want to do that job for that kind of measly wage?

I expect a teacher to do one thing

Take the student you are given and make him better

Take a failing student and get him to pass
Take a C student and turn him into a B student
Take a B student and make him a B student

Healthcare has its critics, but few of them are calling for doctors to be replaced. Education is different—and it has been throughout U.S. history.

People have a lot more experience with teachers than with doctors. For 12 years of our lives we've spent all day, 180 days a year, in a teacher's company. A doctor we see only once a year or so for a few minutes. And what a doctor does is naturally more mysterious than what a teacher does.

Discussions of education in the U.S. have repeatedly been framed in terms of moral panics. A moral panic occurs when "policymakers and the media focus on a single class of people…as emblems of a large, complex social problem." That single class of people is then systematically demonized, as politicians and pundits present "worst of the worst" cases as emblematic of the whole.
In fact, I think you could argue that moral panics do more than demonize a group of people.

Or maybe because most Americans either sweat their lives away at a dull-blue collar job, or enter into a corporate jungle where whatever they do is never enough, and advancement is usually due to the ability to suck up to authority and play office politics.

If you don't blame the educators of your children, there's only one other group potentially culpable: the parents. :)
Agree, good parents can make up for poor educators
Sadly, good educators cannot make up for bad parents.
..and great parents can't do much when it comes to lousy teachers, they can't be fired, even when several cases of child molestation are involved.. (have a paid vacation and come back when the smoke subsides)

I really don't see the difference between sick bastard priests and the Catholic Church protecting them and the Democratic Party doing the same, it's just on a far larger scale with the Democratic Party and their protected Teachers Unions.

Last edited:
Lousy teachers can be fired... on that you are wrong. Most teachers do belong to a union but are not really active in it. I put no blame on the teacher unions. Like any other profession there are a few bad ones, just like doctors, lawyers, CEOs, etc. For the most part I believe teachers have an insurmountable job considering that parenting today in the US is crap and the work ethic of kids continues to drop. The number of lousy parents is on a huge increase and those parents have crappy kids. The kid is all mixed up and the teacher is blamed for lack of progress. Talk about a losing proposition. Those that bitch the loudest about teachers could never do the job.

Forum List

Back