Why Do "Desperate Democrats" Strongly Appose Voter Photo I.D. Requirement For 2012 ?

Washington, New Hampshire, South Carolina Oppose Real ID

OLYMPIA, WA-The Washington state legislature has passed a bill in a landslide to block implementation of the federal REAL ID Act. The action makes Washington the fourth state to pass legislation opposing the law, joining Maine, Idaho and Arkansas.

New Hampshire and South Carolina Legislatures also took action to oppose the REAL ID act last week, New Hampshire with a vote of 268-8.

"The overwhelming margin of Washington's vote shows how truly bipartisan the opposition is to REAL ID. It would threaten personal privacy, as well as create a bureaucratic nightmare to implement," said ACLU of Washington Legislative Director Jennifer Shaw

“If you can show a picture to buy Sudafed, if you can show a picture to get on an airplane, you should be able to show a picture ID to (vote),” Haley said during the signing ceremony, surrounded by supporters and lawmakers who pushed the bill

Haley signs Voter ID bill into law - Local / Metro - TheState.com

I find it interesting that states, in this case S.C. would oppose on one hand a national I.D. and yet pass a law requiring one. Again, all this is an exercise in politics more so than anything else, because S.C. is one of those states covered under the VRA. As for an I.D. itself this issue would seem a simple enough one to me, if someone is registered to vote, put their picture on the voter regisration card.

do you oppose a law to require a gvt photo id in order to purchase a gun?

I support it. Just like voting, the requirement for ID is reasonable and does not infringe rights.
More importantly, it is the least restrctive means to meet a compelling state interest.

If the state cannot determine you are who you say you are (and thus, that you are voting where you are supposed to vote) then the exercise of the right to vote is meaningless.

Again, the ONLY reason I can think of that anybody would not want people to prove who they are when they vote is because you WANT more opportunity for fraud to exist.
There is no sound argument against it.
there is no argument that you are listening to, but there are plenty of very sound arguments made in several articles that have been posted.

and showing id is not the problem...it involves the specifics of the photo id programs that were initially set up.....like in Georgia....and the closing of the DMV offices making it difficult if not impossible to get to an office to get the photo id, and how disproportionately it affects primarily black precincts. You and your compadres can continue to ignore the facts....that have been presented.

I am fine with an id being shown at the polls, many states already had this as law....

and I am fine with the photo gvt id needed to be shown at the polls if the id is paid for by the gvt with no hoops to jump through like having to go OUTSIDE the city of Atlanta to even get to a DMV office to get one....

Disproportionately, in many of those states, Blacks do not drive or have driver's licenses compare to whites....so essentially it is easier for whites to vote under these new provisions than it is being made for blacks* to vote....and I see this as the problem.

but go ahead m14, ignore that if you wish.....

Many states are changing their initial voter photo id's passed, to make it easier but they still have a ways to go, imho.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that states, in this case S.C. would oppose on one hand a national I.D. and yet pass a law requiring one. Again, all this is an exercise in politics more so than anything else, because S.C. is one of those states covered under the VRA. As for an I.D. itself this issue would seem a simple enough one to me, if someone is registered to vote, put their picture on the voter regisration card.

At one time all those registered to vote in New Mexico were issued a voter registration card. It wasn't a photo ID but I liked the card. By the time the next election came around though, those who opposed ANY ID of any kind had raised such a stink that the folks at the polling place quickly told me to put the card away when I tried to present it. Not necessary they said. We aren't allowed to take any form of ID.

Well fortunately that has now been corrected and we are showing positive ID again when we vote.

But a photo ID registration card issued when the person is registered is a really good idea. It would require people to be proactive in going to register to get the card--none of this being signed up at the curb by ACORN people. I think that would clean up and improve the system a lot.

OLYMPIA, WA-The Washington state legislature has passed a bill in a landslide to block implementation of the federal REAL ID Act. The action makes Washington the fourth state to pass legislation opposing the law, joining Maine, Idaho and Arkansas.

New Hampshire and South Carolina Legislatures also took action to oppose the REAL ID act last week, New Hampshire with a vote of 268-8.

"The overwhelming margin of Washington's vote shows how truly bipartisan the opposition is to REAL ID. It would threaten personal privacy, as well as create a bureaucratic nightmare to implement," said ACLU of Washington Legislative Director Jennifer Shaw

“If you can show a picture to buy Sudafed, if you can show a picture to get on an airplane, you should be able to show a picture ID to (vote),” Haley said during the signing ceremony, surrounded by supporters and lawmakers who pushed the bill

Haley signs Voter ID bill into law - Local / Metro - TheState.com

wow, that is really strange with SC....it makes one think that they are putting up these new photo id laws to disenfranchise citizens from their vote.....it gives reason to believe a motive is there, imho.

At one time all those registered to vote in New Mexico were issued a voter registration card. It wasn't a photo ID but I liked the card. By the time the next election came around though, those who opposed ANY ID of any kind had raised such a stink that the folks at the polling place quickly told me to put the card away when I tried to present it. Not necessary they said. We aren't allowed to take any form of ID.

Well fortunately that has now been corrected and we are showing positive ID again when we vote.

But a photo ID registration card issued when the person is registered is a really good idea. It would require people to be proactive in going to register to get the card--none of this being signed up at the curb by ACORN people. I think that would clean up and improve the system a lot.

It would seem easy enough to do as well, if someone is registered to vote that means they have already filled out the forms needed to do so (note *insert hopefully here*). For example, if one were to just get their face put on voter regisration card then that card can be used as a form of state issued ID as well for those that don't have a DL. Solving this issue does not seem all that hard to do and if your local bank can now print you a Visa with your picture on it at the bank then they can put your smiling face on a Voter regisration card at a voter drive, MVD, etc.

Rightwinger, i don't believe in a national gvt id ...i don't believe i should have to show my "papers" to the gestapo for just walking down the street, and this is where i see a national id going.

Again, the ONLY reason I can think of that anybody would not want people to prove who they are when they vote is because you WANT more opportunity for fraud to exist.
there is no argument that you are listening to, but there are plenty of very sound arguments made in several articles that have been posted.
Haven't see one that does not also apply to buying a gun.
I presume you then also oppose requiring a photo ID when buying a gun - yes?

If producing a state drivers license or state I.D. is not goo enough to vote, than America is really becoming a Nazi State.

Voting is a U.S. Constitutional Right - not a state privilege. Voter I.D. requirements are thus Unconstitutional, and are an obvious ploy by Republican lead state legislatures to infringe on the most sacredly held U.S. Constitutional Right to Vote.

Voter I.D. State Laws will never make it to the U.S. Supreme Court, and will be shot down by lower courts. That is a no brainer.

yes I oppose it!~!! I live in a pretty lenient state with their gun laws!

Quick Reference

Rifles and Shotguns
  • Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No
  • Registration of rifles and shotguns? No
  • Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No
  • Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No
Handguns

• Permit to purchase handgun? No
  • Registration of handguns? No
  • Licensing of owners of handguns? No
  • Permit to carry handguns? Yes

Purchase

No state permit is required to purchase a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.

If producing a state drivers license or state I.D. is not goo enough to vote, than America is really becoming a Nazi State.

Voting is a U.S. Constitutional Right - not a state privilege. Voter I.D. requirements are thus Unconstitutional, and are an obvious ploy by Republican lead state legislatures to infringe on the most sacredly held U.S. Constitutional Right to Vote.

Voter I.D. State Laws will never make it to the U.S. Supreme Court, and will be shot down by lower courts. That is a no brainer.

So you would favor just anybody being able to walk in off the street and being shown a voting booth without any verification of their name, age, address, or citizenship?

It would almost make it unnecessary to count the votes then wouldn't it.

At least it would be a lot simpler.

Quick Reference

Rifles and Shotguns
Handguns

Purchase

Just so long as you are consistent.
:up:

Firearm ownership is a U.S. Constitutional Right - not a state privilege. Firearm I.D. requirements are thus Unconstitutional, and are an obvious ploy by liberal-led state legislatures to infringe on the most sacredly held U.S. Constitutional Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Rightwinger, i don't believe in a national gvt id ...i don't believe i should have to show my "papers" to the gestapo for just walking down the street, and this is where i see a national id going.

I'm sympathetic.

I ride a commuter train to work, and it LITERALLY is like Nazi Germany. Paramilitary troops with machine guns regularly demand "papers please" and search people. This is highly offensive. I don't mean on the trains, I mean at the stations. People miss their trains while the Gestapo (DHS) and the Sheriffs search people and check ID. I also object to random DL road blocks.

Quick Reference

Rifles and Shotguns
Handguns

Purchase

Just so long as you are consistent.
:up:
of course, the Nature of our State leans towards gun ownership here...most everyone owns a gun or shotgun....except us dimwits....a friend of ours did loan us one of his guns until we can get around to buying one.

Maine ranked 50th last year on crime rates....we are THE SAFEST STATE in the county to live...i'm pretty certain our lenient gun laws have something to do with it.

of course, the Nature of our State leans towards gun ownership here...most everyone owns a gun or shotgun....except us dimwits....a friend of ours did loan us one of his guns until we can get around to buying one.

Maine ranked 50th last year on crime rates....we are THE SAFEST STATE in the county to live...i'm pretty certain our lenient gun laws have something to do with it.

California is the third most dangerous state to live in.

I'm sure our gun laws have a LOT to do with it!

Republicans are terrified of people voting.

Republican governors have rushed to cut down on early voting and to pass voter ID laws.

Voter suppression is what they do.

Forum List

Back