Why Do We Refrigerate Our Eggs and Europeans Don't?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
CnUH_EjWEAAYhaF.jpg:large

I don't remember seeing eggs in a fridge anytime during my service in Europe – but I never really thought about it. They tasted exactly the same as here.

As it turns out, it all boils down to a disagreement about the best way to keep consumers from getting sick — specifically, from getting salmonella.

Here, the USDA requires egg producers to thoroughly machine-wash all eggs before they can be sold.

Officials in the U.S. believe that, by rinsing freshly-laid eggs with a combination of hot water and a chlorine mix, they are minimizing the chance that the eggs will become contaminated with bacteria.

Story @ Most Countries Don't Refrigerate Eggs. Here's Why the Same Move Is Dangerous in the US

I don't remember seeing eggs in a fridge anytime during my service in Europe – but I never really thought about it. They tasted exactly the same as here.

As it turns out, it all boils down to a disagreement about the best way to keep consumers from getting sick — specifically, from getting salmonella.

Here, the USDA requires egg producers to thoroughly machine-wash all eggs before they can be sold.

Officials in the U.S. believe that, by rinsing freshly-laid eggs with a combination of hot water and a chlorine mix, they are minimizing the chance that the eggs will become contaminated with bacteria.

Story @ Most Countries Don't Refrigerate Eggs. Here's Why the Same Move Is Dangerous in the US
Hot water and chlorine??

Eggs are porous!

Welp if you did time in Europe and went into any homes you would have noticed that Europeans don't have fridges like we do, typically they have the small under counter ones. Besides it's still normal over there to shop for the evening meal (which will include the following morning's breakfast and maybe lunch) that afternoon. Granted a good number of Europeans are clamoring for and have purchased many American sized fridges but still no where near what we have in this country.

Welp if you did time in Europe and went into any homes you would have noticed that Europeans don't have fridges like we do, typically they have the small under counter ones. Besides it's still normal over there to shop for the evening meal (which will include the following morning's breakfast and maybe lunch) that afternoon. Granted a good number of Europeans are clamoring for and have purchased many American sized fridges but still no where near what we have in this country.

Sounds like the Dark Ages

Where do they keep their beer?

In the cupboard........ From what I understand most Europeans don't drink it chilled. :dunno:

In the cupboard........ From what I understand most Europeans don't drink it chilled. :dunno:

Heathens

Heathens
Yup, just like us prior to the age of refrigeration........ and mass advertising....... :lol:

Heathens
Yup, just like us prior to the age of refrigeration........ and mass advertising....... :lol:

I don't know...there is just something about coming in from a hot day, all hot and sweaty and pulling out an icy beer and chugging it down in one shot....you impulsively go ....AHHhhhhhhhh

Pulling a warm beer out of the cupboard doesn't cut it

Heathens

I don't know...there is just something about coming in from a hot day, all hot and sweaty and pulling out an icy beer and chugging it down in one shot....you impulsively go ....AHHhhhhhhhh

Europeans do not drink warm beer. Refrigerated beer loses its taste which can only be appreciated when the beer is not refrierated but kept in a cool larder or in an underground cellar. We call pilsner (so called from the town of Pilsen in Moravia) a lager from the German word for cellar or storeroom "gelagert". It is meant to be drunk fresh from a local brewery.
Bavaria_zpsypahsjgq.jpg

Mmmmm Yummy!

America is very big and is subject to sweltering summers. The German brewers who went to Milwaukee had no way of keeping their lager from spoiling during transport until refrigeration was introduced. Refrigerated lager had to be pumped full of carbon to give it a long shelf life and transported in refrigerated trucks. The result is somewhat better than fizzy water to most European's palates, I wager. It has to be poured from some height to release all the carbon to get any taste whatever.

As for eggs, they are best bought fresh and locally, not needing refrigeration

Heathens

Europeans do not drink warm beer. Refrigerated beer loses its taste which can only be appreciated when the beer is not refrierated but kept in a cool larder or in an underground cellar. We call pilsner (so called from the town of Pilsen in Moravia) a lager from the German word for cellar or storeroom "gelagert". It is meant to be drunk fresh from a local brewery.
Bavaria_zpsypahsjgq.jpg

Mmmmm Yummy!

America is very big and is subject to sweltering summers. The German brewers who went to Milwaukee had no way of keeping their lager from spoiling during transport until refrigeration was introduced. Refrigerated lager had to be pumped full of carbon to give it a long shelf life and transported in refrigerated trucks. The result is somewhat better than fizzy water to most European's palates, I wager. It has to be poured from some height to release all the carbon to get any taste whatever.

As for eggs, they are best bought fresh and locally, not needing refrigeration

Most Americans do not have an underground beer cellar to keep our brews cold

We use a fridge and pop a can and swill it rather than savoring the aroma and flavor

On open shelves. Europeans generally don't refrigerate beer or sell it cold.

Glad I don't like beer (shudder), but I do like eggs, and am glad I have a way to keep them fresher, and from spoiling.

The question is . . . why don't Europeans refrigerate their eggs?

Because they don't require them to be washed before they go to market. Washing removes a natural protective that allows them to stay fresh longer. I have a hunch it has something to do with time to incubate the fertilized ones.

Fertilized eggs won't incubate on the counter. We had chickens and sold eggs. We spot cleaned eggs only, but healthy hens in good quarters don't make dirty eggs. Mom always dated eggs with a pen. Cracked eggs were either tossed or used right away. We kept eggs on the counter in bowls and cartons, when we accumulated a lot we used the fridge. If your chickens have salmonella then the warmer they are the more it will multiply, but we never had a problem.

Lol - you are describing Albania.

On open shelves. Europeans generally don't refrigerate beer or sell it cold.
Most stores have refrigerated beer shelving these days. You might find some old timers who stash it in the cupboard. I was offered a warm can by my father in law on my first visit. It took a while to train him but he is cool now.

I've had fresh eggs before. My aunt actually has some chickens. I still refrigerated them though. I just wouldn't feel comfortable eating them if they had been sitting out for any length of time. Thankfully, I don't think I've ever eaten a bad egg, but I imagine it's not very pleasant.

I get fresh eggs from a friend that raises chickens. He collects the eggs, puts them in cartons and sells them....unwashed. When I store them at home, it's not in the fridge. I wash each egg just prior to using it. They fry better when they start from room temperature. I love mine over-easy....real easy.

Forum List

Back