Zone1 Why do you need gods?

I'm complicated. I like to keep them guessing. I have chosen the better portion and it will not be taken from me.

There is nothing wrong with cherry picking. I actually do it myself.

I think sometimes on here you are treated like a Biblical literalist so the debate gets a little muddied.

Nothing. Ever. What have you accomplished in your life that would make me want to follow your way of thinking?

You are making this too easy for me.
I couldn't care less what you believe. I'm not trying to convince you. You can't say the same.

There is nothing wrong with cherry picking. I actually do it myself.

I think sometimes on here you are treated like a Biblical literalist so the debate gets a little muddied.
There is if it leads you to conclude the exact opposite of what the author intended.

Since I don't believe in a theologically problematic God who loves me but hides from me I thus fail to believe in God's existence.
An analogy: Dogs can hear sounds we cannot. Perhaps it not God who is hiding, but we who are not seeing?

Where do you look for God? What is it you expect to discover?

An analogy: Dogs can hear sounds we cannot. Perhaps it not God who is hiding, but we who are not seeing?

Remember: GOd presumably made us. So if we cannot hear his "whistle" it is by his hand that we are thus limited.

Where do you look for God? What is it you expect to discover?

A sense of his presence. A "relationship".

(Please do NOT start on the usual path of trying to tell me how I did it incorrectly or didn't think the right way etc. Thanks.)

You should take a bit of time to learn about Protestant Christianity. It's a pretty major sect of the faith.
How do you think I would benefit by knowing more about it? I know enough of it to understand why I prefer Catholicism and Apostolic teachings and traditions. Is there a benefit to knowing more?

(Forgive me for this harsh comparison, but hopefully you'll get the point):
No, I am afraid I missed the point. Do you believe God has given you a beating? Is that why you feel He does not exist? But if this was followed by flowers...are you thinking He just might exist? I think I am missing your point, like we are on two different trains of thought.

A sense of his presence. A "relationship".

(Please do NOT start on the usual path of trying to tell me how I did it incorrectly or didn't think the right way etc. Thanks.)
Not my way, not my path. :)

You actually have a great answer. Let's go further. What do you expect from that presence? A feeling, a sound, a sight? And, what is the expectation you have of a relationship between you and God?

How do you think I would benefit by knowing more about it? I know enough of it to understand why I prefer Catholicism and Apostolic teachings and traditions. Is there a benefit to knowing more?

Knowledge. It will also help you understand how some of your fellow Christians see the world.

But more importantly: is salvation simply a matter of personal choice? Does God not have specific rules? That would be a surprise.

Not my way, not my path. :)

You actually have a great answer. Let's go further. What do you expect from that presence? A feeling, a sound, a sight? And, what is the expectation you have of a relationship between you and God?

Let's turn the question around: why do you believe God is real?

No, I am afraid I missed the point. Do you believe God has given you a beating?

I don't know, ask the infant amalekites.

Is that why you feel He does not exist? But if this was followed by flowers...are you thinking He just might exist? I think I am missing your point, like we are on two different trains of thought.

The God of the OT is brutal and bloodthirstly. A vicious partisan for a small tribe of near-desert dwellers and He glorifies them by encouraging them in the Bible to murder, kill and slaughter so that they might increase their lands.

The God of the NT is a god of eternal love. He loves all people everywhere, no matter what.

The God of the OT is Ike beating Tina.
The God of the NT is Ike buying Tina flowers and assuring her he no longer beats.

But more importantly: is salvation simply a matter of personal choice? Does God not have specific rules? That would be a surprise.
Long ago a Rabbi was asked to sum up the Bible. He responded: "Love God. Love your fellowman. The rest is just commentary."

I changed it just a tad for atheists: "Love goodness. Love your fellowman. God will take it from there."

The rule is love. Keep it simple and don't get caught up in the details that make one crazy.

Forum List

Back