Why does someone want an AR-15

I understand wanting guns for hunting or protection.
I know enough about guns that an AR-15 is not the best gun for hunting or protection.

And the answer is:

enhanced-buzz-25826-1399556108-13.jpg

You are telling me you can not explain why anyone wants an AR-15.
It is a gun that requires absolute no skill to kill animals and humans with the greatest chance of collateral damage.

"It is a gun that requires absolute no skill to kill animals and humans with the greatest chance of collateral damage"???? WTF? No skill? Maybe at point blank range. But then, any firearm can do that. Tell you what. How about we meet at a range. I'll borrow and AR for you to shoot. I'll bring a lever action rifle in .44 Magnum. We will see who will be the first to hit 10 soda cans at 100 yards, shooting offhand. I'll bet you'd change you mind about the "absolutely no skill" requirement.

And there are numerous calibers that will do far more collateral damage.
It is the automatic feature that provides the ability for any idiot to spray an area without much skill and do huge damage.
The first restictive gun laws were placed on machine guns for that reason.
None of these school shooters were trained marksman and their weapon of choice is a semi-automatic or automatic weapon to do as much damage as possible in a short amount of time with no skill.
Your ignorance knows no bounds does it liar. You can't just go by an automatic weapon.
Tell me how what I said is untrue.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me which school shooter used an automatic rifle.
I look at semi-automatic weapons nothing more than a civilians automatic weapon.
An AR-15 can shoot up to 800 rounds a minute. You can call it what you want.

It is a gun that requires absolute no skill to kill animals and humans with the greatest chance of collateral damage.

"It is a gun that requires absolute no skill to kill animals and humans with the greatest chance of collateral damage"???? WTF? No skill? Maybe at point blank range. But then, any firearm can do that. Tell you what. How about we meet at a range. I'll borrow and AR for you to shoot. I'll bring a lever action rifle in .44 Magnum. We will see who will be the first to hit 10 soda cans at 100 yards, shooting offhand. I'll bet you'd change you mind about the "absolutely no skill" requirement.

It is the automatic feature that provides the ability for any idiot to spray an area without much skill and do huge damage.
None of these school shooters were trained marksman and their weapon of choice is a semi-automatic or automatic weapon to do as much damage as possible in a short amount of time with no skill.

I thought we were talking about the AR? The AR does not shoot like a machine gun, despite what some antigun folks claim.

And the restrictions on machine guns is more financial than anything. Pay the tax stamp, and you can own one too.
Not true. You have to go through a more extensive background check. The reason they are expensive is there are not many around. They cannot build new ones for civilians because of restictions provided by law.

Unless you have been convicted of a felony, convicted of domestic abuse or stalking, have been diagnosed as mentally ill, or some other reason (just like buying a standard firearm), you can buy a machine gun. You have to pay a tax stamp. You also have restrictions when you sell it. And there are rules concerning storage ect ect. But buying one is just a hassle, not an impossibility.
Why are they not allowing any new automatic weapons to be manufactured to be sold to civilians.

Your ignorance knows no bounds does it liar. You can't just go by an automatic weapon.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me which school shooter used an automatic rifle.
I look at semi-automatic weapons nothing more than a civilians automatic weapon.

Of course you do.... however, you changing the definition for yourself does not do so for the rest of us.... it's a moving goalpost that you can and will change at your whimsy.
Don't like getting schooled in an argument, change the parameters..... or try to.
done.

I know what I call it. I call it bullshit.

In order to shoot 800 rounds a minute, you would have to pull the trigger 13 times per second. Think you can do that?

How you look at things has no real bearing on the facts. You keep talking about the AR like it is a machinegun, when it is certainly not.

How can a relatively low powered rifle do the most collateral damage? Could be that you just don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Here's an AR-15 round compared to a typical hunting round, the 30-06, which are available in semi auto as well.

223-30-061.jpg

AR is on the left like you.
The automatic feature has provided collateral damage in many cases

"Automatic feature"? What is that?
Automatic or semi-automatic features on a gun allow more rounds to be shot in a shorter time. I cannot believe you did not know that. What did you think you were getting when you bought a semi-automatic gun.
Does it make you mad that is so difficult if not impossible to buy a fully automatic weapon or maybe you did not know of the restrictions on fully automatic weapons.
You can buy them from a class 9 dealer...Or modify a semi to be an auto....
That is why bump stocks and anything equivalent should be made illegal. I think this will be done soon.

Buy one and try to make that happen. I'll get back with you in a year or so, after you fail. Even the MG42 doesn't really fire 1150 rounds per minute, it'd lock up before that.

800 rounds a minute. :badgrin: What a maroon!

Full-auto AK47 doesn't do that..and the barrel gets hot, and the grouping spreads.

In order to shoot 800 rounds a minute, you would have to pull the trigger 13 times per second. Think you can do that?

How you look at things has no real bearing on the facts. You keep talking about the AR like it is a machinegun, when it is certainly not.
I think anyone could do at least 300 to 400 rounds per minute. That is crazy. Even if it is 100 rounds a minute.
What the hell does anyone need that for unless you are doing a mass killing.

I know enough about guns that an AR-15 is not the best gun for hunting or protection.

I have an M-14. I don't hunt but have the weapon for protection.
It will put any size individual on his ass. It is high caliber. 16-round
magazine. The M-14 preceded the M-16 (AR-15) as the Army's choice weapon.

I know how to use and would use it.

I think anyone could do at least 300 to 400 rounds per minute. That is crazy. Even if it is 100 rounds a minute.

You don't think shit, fuck off, tard.

Again, your understanding is neither required nor relevant.

Reading comprehension is not your forte'.

I'm telling you that neither your understanding or approval are not required for ownership of an AR-15.

How you look at things has no real bearing on the facts. You keep talking about the AR like it is a machine

Weren't you the one who posted the info on comparing the rate of fire for different guns of the same caliber? Go back and find a semi-auto that will shoot 800 rounds a minute. If I recall, it was more like 45 rounds a minute.

You don't know exactly how many you might have to deal with.

If multiple folks were breaking in, you'd have to get the weapon and then
move on the intruders. They could be all over the place.

It's not about how many you can kill. It's about ensuring that you can
fight off, kill, all of them before they kill you.

I don't care for one because I have guns that shoot bigger, heavier, faster bullets.

If someone wants one, they should be able to have it, though.

ElmerMudd Lots of really infomative replies here...but I'll add mine.

I had firearm experience when I was a minor, 22 rifles and shotguns, but my Dad wasn't a big gun guy or a hunter...he was born in the 30s and HAD to hunt to put food on the table.

My first real firearms experience was in the Army. I qualified with pistols, machine guns, grenades and antitank rockets...but far and away the lion's share of my weapons training, both in shooting and maintenance was with the M16A2 rifle. Very little of that shooting was anything but semiautomatic. At the end of my enlistment, I could field strip and reassemly my weapon in the dark, maintain it in any environment and...being a completely modular platform, repair and/or replace every component in minutes...no gunsmith required. I have a 30-06 chambered bolt action rifle that I have no earthly idea how to remove and replace a broken firing pin...but in my AR15, I can have it out and replaced in under a minute. PLUS I could knock down 300 meter targets all day long. This was my first true firearm.

AND I hunt with my AR...and have a freezer full of feral hog meat all taken by .223Rem. You can also legally take deer in Missouri with .223.

Being fully modular, you can also easily upgrade it without any expensive tools. Mine has a bull-barrel for long range target practice.

Another thing, because it is in a military surplus capable chambering, it is MUCH cheaper per round than most other rifle caliber offerings.

Lastly, it is also suitable for personal and family protection.

That's a long list of pros and I can't think of any cons.

Accurate at long distance, modular construction, easily repaired and upgraded to personal preferences, millions of veterans have hundreds of hours of training with them, length of pull is customizable without permanently altering the weapon (my wife is 5'2" and I am 6 foot, but we can still use the same AR15 with an adjustable stock), it is capable of hunting and self defense rolls, the ammo is inexpensive, and if everything went to shit, it's the very first weapon I'd want to have.

The real question is why wouldn't I need an AR15.

Last edited:
How can a relatively low powered rifle do the most collateral damage? Could be that you just don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Here's an AR-15 round compared to a typical hunting round, the 30-06, which are available in semi auto as well.

223-30-061.jpg

AR is on the left like you.
The automatic feature has provided collateral damage in many cases

"Automatic feature"? What is that?
Automatic or semi-automatic features on a gun allow more rounds to be shot in a shorter time. I cannot believe you did not know that. What did you think you were getting when you bought a semi-automatic gun.
Does it make you mad that is so difficult if not impossible to buy a fully automatic weapon or maybe you did not know of the restrictions on fully automatic weapons.
You can buy them from a class 9 dealer...Or modify a semi to be an auto....
That is why bump stocks and anything equivalent should be made illegal. I think this will be done soon.

No problem.

Please find a link that shows a semi-auto AR can be fired 300 to 400 times a minute. Try sticking with facts.

I have an M-14. I don't hunt but have the weapon for protection.
It will put any size individual on his ass. It is high caliber. 16-round
magazine. The M-14 preceded the M-16 (AR-15) as the Army's choice weapon.

I know how to use and would use it.

I have a Springfield Armory M1A. It is the civilian version of the M14. I am guessing that is what you have too.

They are not only powerful, but accurate out to some amazing ranges.

Please find a link that shows a semi-auto AR can be fired 300 to 400 times a minute. Try sticking with facts.

Why would he do that when his make believe bullshit supports his ever changing crap?

Forum List

Back