Why does the Amtrak train still look like a 1950's body style design ?

CANDYCORN SAID: Of course, partisan dumbfucks on the right can’t imagine anything….

I said you were hateful, not because of the facts of what you said, but for the way you said it.

sorry bout that….

When the facts bear out what I said though…it would seem as thought I am not the one who should be sorry.
Candycorn, I oppose the project because I see it is as nothing more than an opportunity for corruption, graft, and greed. Read this:

Dirty Business as Usual at California High Speed Rail

No need. Don’t care, really. Nothing personal but an “opportunity for corruption, graft, and greed” exists whenever there is a dollar sign on a balance sheet. sheesh.

Most on the right wing oppose this, solar, tidal, wind energy because it means maybe there is a 3rd way forward and the “winners” and “losers” aren’t pre-determined. In truth, a lot on the left are threatened for the same reasons.

The “best idea” should win. Period.

So that's the reason you want high speed trains? So we can be more like other countries? That seems to be the Democrat's argument for everything they desire.

The problem is democrats are too stupid to see whats right in front of them.

Look at countries who have high speed rail. They are VERY populated countries. They don't have cars at the rate we do and don't have roads like we do. A lot of our population lives and works out in the middle of nowhere.

Our population is far more spread out than these other countries. Amtrak is losing enough money, we don't need anything else.
You don't travel much, do you?

No, apparently you don't live in flyover country where you cannot shake hands with a neighbor out your window.

CANDYCORN SAID: Of course, partisan dumbfucks on the right can’t imagine anything….

I said you were hateful, not because of the facts of what you said, but for the way you said it.

sorry bout that….

When the facts bear out what I said though…it would seem as thought I am not the one who should be sorry.
Candycorn, I oppose the project because I see it is as nothing more than an opportunity for corruption, graft, and greed. Read this:

No need. Don’t care, really. Nothing personal but an “opportunity for corruption, graft, and greed” exists whenever there is a dollar sign on a balance sheet. sheesh.

Most on the right wing oppose this, solar, tidal, wind energy because it means maybe there is a 3rd way forward and the “winners” and “losers” aren’t pre-determined. In truth, a lot on the left are threatened for the same reasons.

Why do all of these liberals that support renewable energy lack a knowledge of why these systems don't work? The sun gets covered by clouds and it gets dark at night. Tidal energy is limited by geography and simple physics. Wind is never going to be cost effective because sometimes the wind does not blow at all or it simply blows too hard. These systems do not work and will never work.

sorry bout that….

Why do all of these liberals that support renewable energy lack a knowledge of why these systems don't work? The sun gets covered by clouds and it gets dark at night. Tidal energy is limited by geography and simple physics. Wind is never going to be cost effective because sometimes the wind does not blow at all or it simply blows too hard. These systems do not work and will never work.

My energy company has a bunch of turbines. Someone should tell them they don’t work I guess.

What is also never mentioned is that when you have a 200-300 mph high speed train, you can also make it a 200-300 mph freight train. Imagine items unloaded in Long Beach on Monday being in Chicago that afternoon instead of waiting for a truck to haul the container 3-4 days using the interstates. Or stuff made in Chicago on Monday being put onto a freighter bound for China that afternoon.

Intermodal transportation is a magic bullet in many regards. It is eco friendly, reduced traffic on the roadways, drives down repair costs t the Interstates, actually employs more drivers on shorter trips from the terminal to the points of sale….

Enhancing the freight with passengers who choose to avoid the nuisance of flight and the difficult connectors would only help the matters.

Of course, partisan dumbfucks on the right can’t imagine anything….

Freight trains? Did you ever take physics in school and learn about things called "weight"?

If your idea is so cost effective, why does it cost so damn much to get a package that weighs a pound delivered across country overnight in a plane?

You really should consider getting a high school student to explain it to you.

What is also never mentioned is that when you have a 200-300 mph high speed train, you can also make it a 200-300 mph freight train. Imagine items unloaded in Long Beach on Monday being in Chicago that afternoon instead of waiting for a truck to haul the container 3-4 days using the interstates. Or stuff made in Chicago on Monday being put onto a freighter bound for China that afternoon.

Intermodal transportation is a magic bullet in many regards. It is eco friendly, reduced traffic on the roadways, drives down repair costs t the Interstates, actually employs more drivers on shorter trips from the terminal to the points of sale….

Enhancing the freight with passengers who choose to avoid the nuisance of flight and the difficult connectors would only help the matters.

Freight trains? Did you ever take physics in school and learn about things called "weight"?

If your idea is so cost effective, why does it cost so damn much to get a package that weighs a pound delivered across country overnight in a plane?

See Blackrook

Example A.

sorry bout that….

My energy company has a bunch of turbines. Someone should tell them they don’t work I guess.

How much does the power they produce cost compared to other sources?

See Blackrook

Example A.

Your post makes no sense. Try again.

I have taken both the AMTRAK trains and Acela

The AMTRAK trains do feel like they are from the 50s
The Acela feels like it is from the 70s

See Blackrook

Example A.

Makes sense if you hold your post up to a mirror.

See Blackrook

Example A.

Makes sense if you hold your post up to a mirror.

Another meaningless response. Typical airhead.

I like AMTRAK. I often go from Toledo to Chicago and back. It's about 6 hours or so. And on the way I can take a shower, read a book and maybe meet a cool girl in the lounge car. And it is cheaper than an airplane flight. And takes about the same amount of time.

The Right won't allow modern high speed rail.

Only idiot liberals can come up with a reason to build high-speed rail that will never make money and just suck tax dollars right out of your wallet.
. You sure it won't make money ? How do you know ? If it is fast and sleek enough, you would ride it out of curiosity now wouldn't you ? I know I would.

Studies have been done. The numbers simply do not work.
. All depending on the studies, and who conducted those studies right ?

Nope. Any idiot can see that it would be a huge boondoggle to spend tax dollars to support something no one would use simply because it would never be cost effective without incredibly costly infrastructure and massive operating subsidies.

In Jacksonville, FL, we have a Skyway that runs through downtown. It became known as the "Riderless Express" because no one used it. It was costing the taxpayers millions in subsidies, so what did they do? They made it free! Ridership increased, but so did wear and tear on the system, requiring even more money to operate. Now it is entirely taxpayer supported.
I figured the existing rail system could be upgraded, and new technology employed to really modernize something that already exist. I'm not advocating or bloviating about something brand new to be created. Is this your way of responding to an idea, otherwise by just muddying the waters in order to make someone appear to have said something that matches your rebuttal ? Are you having a conversation with yourself about such a thing ? :meow:

I like AMTRAK. I often go from Toledo to Chicago and back. It's about 6 hours or so. And on the way I can take a shower, read a book and maybe meet a cool girl in the lounge car. And it is cheaper than an airplane flight. And takes about the same amount of time.
. Not sure why it is so outdated looking, especially in this day and age. Some compared sizes of states and countries abroad, and the amounts of the citizens to be found in it all, and how they travel around and stuff. In this I'm sure that we have areas that can be improved upon with either upgrades or if fisable new systems added. That's all I'm saying.

sorry bout that….

. Good point.. The energy company also built the lakes that feed the hydro's in some places, so they control the flows that feed the hydro's. To agree with the admiral, it is true that technology is interrupted by many things sometimes such as drout that causes a switch to coal or nuclear when the hydro's can't provide or assist. So you are both right about your position's taken. It all comes down to the nation learning to dream again, and then to bring those dreams to life someday. With the natural resources this nation has, I get tired of all the we're eternally broke crap.

Last edited:

. Nothing ventured, nothing ever gained... Just comes back to research and the funding of research. Who is stopping or controlling the ventures, funding for ventures, and the outcomes of thoses ventures ? How many ideas have been purchased and shelved because it threatened the balance or bottom lines of a status quoe ? Open minds and rock solid ideas should be tried, worked out and implemented if we are going to become a shining city on a hill again.. What we have had for a while now, ummm is a disgrace in a lot of ways when it comes to the major eye lifting stuff that defines or could redefine a nation. Just hate to see that train frozen in time is all..

TGV will take you 482 miles from Paris to Marseille in 3 hours 22 min. It will cost $98. to $229. You have a comfortable seat and watch the French countryside.

. Not sure why it is so outdated looking, especially in this day and age.
Maybe it's the same reason that Elvis looks outdated even though he's been dead for several decades .

The Right won't allow modern high speed rail.

Only idiot liberals can come up with a reason to build high-speed rail that will never make money and just suck tax dollars right out of your wallet.
You'll get to Paris faster from London by the TGV through the Chunnel, because you go from city center to city center. No taxis from city to airport or from airport into city.
I took that trip and it was great. The Underground takes you from hotel to train or train to within a couple of blocks of your hotel.

Forum List

Back