Why does Walmart stereotype its clientele?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
I go into a Walmart and see a bookshelf full of romance novels and religious books.
Walmart+Book+Section+1.jpg

I walk into a Fred Meyer and not only do they have those same romance novels they also have an entire bookshelf dedicated to sci fi and fantasy! With books such as!
51RoBAb1oyL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51MOmD1NBfL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

23281815.jpg

Why does Walmart stereotype its clientele as the people who would never read works such as these? Why would it be a bad thing if a poor religious person picked up a sci fi or fantasy novel?

I bought a copy of ‘Ulysses’ by James Joyce at Walmart.

Wasn’t expensive.

I use my Kindle. Can get anything I want, and don't have to do Wallys.

Simple. They keep track of what sells best. They keep ordering items that sell well. If a particular item or type of item doesn’t sell well, it will eventually be removed from inventory to make room for something that sells better.

I go into a Walmart and see a bookshelf full of romance novels and religious books.

I walk into a Fred Meyer and not only do they have those same romance novels they also have an entire bookshelf dedicated to sci fi and fantasy! With books such as!

23281815.jpg

Why does Walmart stereotype its clientele as the people who would never read works such as these? Why would it be a bad thing if a poor religious person picked up a sci fi or fantasy novel?

Simple, I was in retail management for a number of years in a prior life. It's simple, it's called marketing. You stock what sells and you NEVER run out of your best sellers, no what is that product.

Last edited:

23281815.jpg

II have no clue what it is you are attempting to express here

BTW, where do red necks live?

All over...

... even the Middle East has it's version of red-necks...

... dey's called jihadi's.

23281815.jpg

Why does Walmart stereotype its clientele as the people who would never read works such as these?

Walmart does not "stereotype" their customers. What Walmart, like all highly successful businesses, does is perform quantitative analysis ("quant") on their sales. If that analysis shows that sci-fi novels don't produce the return the firm desires, they reduce or eliminate the allocation of "floor space" given to sci-fi novels and provide it to something else, be it romance novels or feather dusters or whatever.

"Quant" is a tool used by retailers to evaluate just about everything, which is to say marketing strategy, marketing mix analysis, pricing, promotion, distribution, and product policy. Moreover, marketing decision making is not the only firm function facilitated by "quant;" nearly every upper-level aspect of management, financing/investing, and operations decision making is both measured and guided by it.
Successful businesses don't care who their customers are, they care that they understand their current and potential customers. "Quant" enables businesses to understand how their customers have behaved. "Quant" is complemented by qualitative analysis, which is a subjective (but not at all haphazard) analytical technique that provides insights into why they behave(-ed) as they do/did, why they might behave differently, when they are likely to do so, and what catalysts (internal to the firm or external to it) motivate customers to change (or not) their buying behavior in the future.

Do quantitative and qualitative analysis yield perfect information and results? No, but neither do they need to. They need only produce better decision support than one would have absent them. In short, when people talk about there being a "business case" for "X," what they mean is that based on the rigorous and sound empirical and subjective analysis they've performed, "X" is the best decision available and that aligns with a firm's goals and tolerance for risk.

Forum List

Back