🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why don't people watch films?

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

I love old films better than the new crap. I watch classic's all winter long. In the summer I'm too busy to watch much TV of any sort.

Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce are two of my favorites as Sherlock but I also like Jeremy Brett and David Burke as Holmes and Watson from an old series Granada TV.

My favorite Sherlock Holmes....Basil Rathbone:
detective_by_ID_entity.gif

I asked the OP question in a pub in Scotland just now and got the same answers I would expect in the U.S.:

1. Nobody has long enough attention span anymore.

2. Old movies only on tv and too many commercials to follow the stoty

3. From those streaming video - when they come upon one they like others in family nag to get back to "their reality shows".

Personally I stream but rarely want to put enough time into a feature-length so I guess I'm just another #1.

I have seen recently great soviet movie The Unsent Letter. This forgotten film was restored not so far by Coppola and was demonstrated in USA.

Watch this story about the will of living and following the dream here (subs in english):

I have a hard time watching most old films and tv. I've watched some old movies that make the all-time great lists and think that it's people who just hate anything new or want to sound cultured that must be propping 'em up.

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

Watched both the old and new version of Sabrina over the weekend...so I could compare them. It's interesting to see the cultural changes made to make the original more PC for later audiences.

Also watched Rear Window and Forever Amber just for fun.

I'm in the 'rarely make time for movies' category, with few exceptions. 'Old' movies I make time for are My Darling Clementine, with Walter Brennan and Henry Fonda, a 'Wyatt Earp vs. the Clantons' story, and the best one imho, Maltese Falcon, a standard and common choice for many, African Queen, The Third Man, also well known already, and The Magnificent Ambersons, just to curse the memory of Orson Welles for being a giant prick and never really finishing it, it would have been a true great, and Citizen Kane, that's about it for the black and white films for me, at least those I've watched a few times and will watch again.

More modern ones I watch every time they come on are The Lion In Winter, Lawrence Of Arabia, full length version only, and all of the Coen Brothers films, and The Godfather, parts I and II. That's about it for 'modern' ones, too. I would watch Amadeus again, but nobody ever runs it here on American TV. It was also the last movie I paid to watch in a theater. Movie theaters killed themselves off with the crappy narrow uncomfortable seats.

I don't watch much TV at all, just a couple f the talent shows, and rarely all of them. AGT and The Voice, mainly, and The English Baking Show when it's on.

Last edited:
Is "likely for me" not correct? :eusa_think:
I thought it was ok! :dunno:

I think 'lucky' is the slang word you're looking for, given the usage context, is all. Just trying to help with your language usage, not being critical or trolling. 'Likely' doesn't fit, and I noticed it in another post of yours as well, same word and oddness in context, so I thought I would mention it to you.

Forum List

Back