Why don't people watch films?

Im recording it this Friday. 17th century queen. I love these back in Time movies. I love to see how people lived back then so simple even the rich didn’t have ice or air conditioning.

I agree with her. Screw fame and attention. Rich and famous people are jealous of people who are rich and not famous. And visa versa I’m sure. People always want what they don’t have. Have privacy want attention. Have attention suddenly you want privacy.

I bet she’s beautiful. I’ll let you know what I think about this movie and the others I watch. It’ll be more interesting now that I know a little about her history.

Don’t they usually stop getting roles in their 40s? Was she always beautiful even as she got older? Was she married? Did she have kids? Why live in New York if you want to be private? Weird.
No, she never married and had no children. She probably retired in New York because the only place she lived in the US was in New York and Hollywood and she hated Hollywood. I wonder why she did not return to Sweden.

In those days, unless an actress could maintain her looks or adapt to more mature roles, she was washed up in her 40's. However, many manage to get roles in their fifties. Garbo had such a following, she probably could have made movies till the day she died.

Here's a piece about her life.

She was born Greta Lovisa Gustafsson in Stockholm. Her mother worked in a factory and father was a day labor. The family lived in the worst slum in the city. She had an older brother and a younger sister. To say the family was poor was an understatement. Often there was little no food to eat.

Garbo was a shy daydreamer as a child. She hated school and preferred to play alone. Yet she was an imaginative child and a natural leader who became interested in theater at an early age.

In the winter of 1919, the Spanish flu spread throughout Stockholm, and Garbo's father, to whom she was very close, became ill. He began missing work and eventually lost his job. Garbo stayed at home looking after him and taking him to the hospital for weekly treatments. He died in 1920 when she was 14 years old.

Garbo first worked at age 13 as a soap-lather girl in a barber's shop but eventually, on the advice of her friends, applied for, and accepted, a position in the a department store, running errands and working in the millinery department. Before long, she began modeling hats for the store's catalogs, which led to a more lucrative job as a fashion model. In late 1920, a director of film commercials for the store began casting Garbo in roles advertising women's clothing. Her first commercial premiered in December 1920 and was followed by others the following year. Thus began Garbo's cinematic career. In 1922, Garbo caught the attention of director Erik Arthur Petschler who gave her a part in his short comedy, Peter the Tramp.

Her cinematic career in commercial silent films began in Sweden. She had a number bit parts but finally landed several leading role which lead to other pictures. She was discovered by Louise B Meyer who suggested she come to America. So she came to New York at his request thus beginning her career in silent movies in the US. Silent movies were a good fit since she did not speak a word of English.

After 6 months without hearing anything from Meyer, she went to Hollywood. After weeks of trying to make contact with the studio she was on verge of returning to Sweden, when she got a screen test which was described as electrifying. English lessons, fixing her teeth, and body toning began immediately. Thus began her career which lead to one hit film after another.
Greta Garbo - Wikipedia

I want to believe she was a normal happy woman not a tormented hermit.

I'm sure millions of others wish the same thing. The real truth about Garbo will never be known. Whether her self imposed isolation from the public was due to a horrible childhood, a failed romance with John Gilbert, a secret love for another actress, or just the simple desire to escape the eyes of the world. In one of her rare interviews she proclaimed, "I never said I want to be alone. I said I want to be left alone. There is a huge difference." Garbo was not a recluse, she just hide herself from the public. She had a number of close friends which included Marlene Dietrich, Debra Kerr, David Niven, and Lilli Palmer.

She was probably fine then. I'm sure the paparatsi were annoying back then too. And really most of us only have a handful of really good friends right? Anyone else is just a fan who wants your autograph or something from you. I think it's hard for women who have money to fall in love with someone unless that someone has just as much money as you do. And some women aren't really that sexual so don't want a man in their lives. Their friends are all they need.

Maybe we are just reading too much into it. I can't wait to see if I think she is all that hot and a good actress.

Garbo is probably the most charismatic actress that has every come to Hollywood. People say it's her beautiful expressive eyes. I think she is great actress but I never thought her movies were that great, good yes but not great.

I think producers often rely to much on star power. A major star may guarantee success at the box office but to make a great movie it takes a lot of other ingredients. The fact that successful movies are gauged by their box office receipts accounts for the fact that we only have a few hundred truly great movies out the hundreds of thousands that have been made.

I decided to watch Spencer’s mountain next. Another Maureen O’Hara flick. They really liked her back then.

This woman tried to press Henry Fonda into going to church. He said it best. The Catholics got their ideas, the Protestants have their ideas and I got mine. And he believed he was living in heaven right now.

No, she never married and had no children. She probably retired in New York because the only place she lived in the US was in New York and Hollywood and she hated Hollywood. I wonder why she did not return to Sweden.

In those days, unless an actress could maintain her looks or adapt to more mature roles, she was washed up in her 40's. However, many manage to get roles in their fifties. Garbo had such a following, she probably could have made movies till the day she died.

Here's a piece about her life.

She was born Greta Lovisa Gustafsson in Stockholm. Her mother worked in a factory and father was a day labor. The family lived in the worst slum in the city. She had an older brother and a younger sister. To say the family was poor was an understatement. Often there was little no food to eat.

Garbo was a shy daydreamer as a child. She hated school and preferred to play alone. Yet she was an imaginative child and a natural leader who became interested in theater at an early age.

In the winter of 1919, the Spanish flu spread throughout Stockholm, and Garbo's father, to whom she was very close, became ill. He began missing work and eventually lost his job. Garbo stayed at home looking after him and taking him to the hospital for weekly treatments. He died in 1920 when she was 14 years old.

Garbo first worked at age 13 as a soap-lather girl in a barber's shop but eventually, on the advice of her friends, applied for, and accepted, a position in the a department store, running errands and working in the millinery department. Before long, she began modeling hats for the store's catalogs, which led to a more lucrative job as a fashion model. In late 1920, a director of film commercials for the store began casting Garbo in roles advertising women's clothing. Her first commercial premiered in December 1920 and was followed by others the following year. Thus began Garbo's cinematic career. In 1922, Garbo caught the attention of director Erik Arthur Petschler who gave her a part in his short comedy, Peter the Tramp.

Her cinematic career in commercial silent films began in Sweden. She had a number bit parts but finally landed several leading role which lead to other pictures. She was discovered by Louise B Meyer who suggested she come to America. So she came to New York at his request thus beginning her career in silent movies in the US. Silent movies were a good fit since she did not speak a word of English.

After 6 months without hearing anything from Meyer, she went to Hollywood. After weeks of trying to make contact with the studio she was on verge of returning to Sweden, when she got a screen test which was described as electrifying. English lessons, fixing her teeth, and body toning began immediately. Thus began her career which lead to one hit film after another.
Greta Garbo - Wikipedia

I want to believe she was a normal happy woman not a tormented hermit.

I'm sure millions of others wish the same thing. The real truth about Garbo will never be known. Whether her self imposed isolation from the public was due to a horrible childhood, a failed romance with John Gilbert, a secret love for another actress, or just the simple desire to escape the eyes of the world. In one of her rare interviews she proclaimed, "I never said I want to be alone. I said I want to be left alone. There is a huge difference." Garbo was not a recluse, she just hide herself from the public. She had a number of close friends which included Marlene Dietrich, Debra Kerr, David Niven, and Lilli Palmer.

She was probably fine then. I'm sure the paparatsi were annoying back then too. And really most of us only have a handful of really good friends right? Anyone else is just a fan who wants your autograph or something from you. I think it's hard for women who have money to fall in love with someone unless that someone has just as much money as you do. And some women aren't really that sexual so don't want a man in their lives. Their friends are all they need.

Maybe we are just reading too much into it. I can't wait to see if I think she is all that hot and a good actress.

Garbo is probably the most charismatic actress that has every come to Hollywood. People say it's her beautiful expressive eyes. I think she is great actress but I never thought her movies were that great, good yes but not great.

I think producers often rely to much on star power. A major star may guarantee success at the box office but to make a great movie it takes a lot of other ingredients. The fact that successful movies are gauged by their box office receipts accounts for the fact that we only have a few hundred truly great movies out the hundreds of thousands that have been made.

I decided to watch Spencer’s mountain next. Another Maureen O’Hara flick. They really liked her back then.

This woman tried to press Henry Fonda into going to church. He said it best. The Catholics got their ideas, the Protestants have their ideas and I got mine. And he believed he was living in heaven right now.

Saw it many years ago. Don't remember whether I liked it or not.

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

For some reason, this TV Forum seems to not get much activity, why I'm not sure.

?
because we are busy watching tv? (a sad attempt at a joke, i'm afraid)

I still enjoy watching old films and, though I still enjoy my old time favorites that I've seen many times (like the THIN MAN series) I REALLY ENJOY being "turned on to" some old film that I've never seen before!

The first couple of movies in the series were very good. I didn't think, the later movies were as good.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

For some reason, this TV Forum seems to not get much activity, why I'm not sure.

?

I still enjoy watching old films and, though I still enjoy my old time favorites that I've seen many times (like the THIN MAN series) I REALLY ENJOY being "turned on to" some old film that I've never seen before!

The first couple of movies in the series were very good. I didn't think, the later movies were as good.

I agree there was a noticeable drop....

but .....still......Myrna Loy! William Powell! They made a wonderful duo!

and who couldn't love Astor......

Lately I've been digging for (and finding and watching) ghost stories from the 30's and 40's!

Just the right amount of frightening.....

Marty released in 1955, appears to be a really boring movie. No one gets shot, beaten, or threaten. There are no chase scenes, no abductions, no monsters, and no bombs. There is no damsel in destress and no hero to save her. However, the characters are so real and this simple boy meets girl story is so close to real life, it turns out to be an engrossing story that every audience can identify with.

Marty (Ernest Borgnine) is a middle aged Italian American butcher who lives with his mother in the Bronx. He’s constantly badgered by the family to find a good girl and settle down. However, Marty has resigned himself to a life of bachelorhood due to his social awkwardness and lack of prospects. So Marty spends every Saturday night with the guys, drinking beers, watching the girls, and talking about the same old romantic encounters from their past that probably never occurred.

After being harassed by his mother, Marty goes to a dance and connects with Clara, a plain jane school teacher who is quietly weeping after being abandoned by her blind date. They spend the evening together dancing, walking the busy streets, and talking in a diner. Marty eagerly spills out his life story and ambitions. He brings Clara to his house, and they awkwardly express their mutual attraction, shortly before his mother returns. Marty takes her home by bus, promising to call her at 2:30 the next afternoon, after Mass.

Meanwhile, his cranky, busybody widowed Aunt Catherine moves in to live with Marty and his mother. She warns his mother that Marty will soon marry and cast her aside. Fearing that Marty's romance could spell her abandonment, his mother belittles Clara. Marty's friends, with an undercurrent of envy, deride Clara for her plainness and try to convince him to forget her and to remain with them, unmarried, in their fading youth. Harangued into submission by the pull of his friends, Marty doesn't call Clara.

So that night, Marty is back in the same lonely rut. Marty realizes that he is giving up a woman whom he not only likes, but who makes him happy. Over the objections of his friends, he dashes to a phone booth to call Clara, who sits gloomily watching television with her parents. When his friend asks what he's doing, Marty bursts out saying:

“You don't like her, my mother don't like her, she's a dog and I'm a fat, ugly man! Well, all I know is I had a good time last night! I'm gonna have a good time tonight! If we have enough good times together, I'm gonna get down on my knees and I'm gonna beg that girl to marry me! If we make a party on New Year's, I got a date for that party. You don't like her? That's too bad”

Marty closes the phone boot’s door when Clara answers the phone. In the last line of the film, he tentatively says, "Hello ... Hello, Clara?"

Marty was described as the biggest little movie of the year. It won 8 academy awards. It might not be your kind of movie but it’s certain one of the best movies of its kind.

Marty (film) - Wikipedia

I love this movie! It's heartbreakingly beautiful. It's Borgnine's best performance of his career, imo.

It doesn't take a 100 million dollars and the top stars to make a good movie. All it takes is a good story, a good script, capable actors, and good direction to produce a movie that will bring a tear to the eyes of viewers and put a smile on their face as they walk out of the door. And Marty did just that.

"Marty" is a 1953 television play by Paddy Chayefsky. It was telecast live in May 1953, on The Philco Television Playhouse. Rod Steiger was in title role as Marty.

Well said.

Marty released in 1955, appears to be a really boring movie. No one gets shot, beaten, or threaten. There are no chase scenes, no abductions, no monsters, and no bombs. There is no damsel in destress and no hero to save her. However, the characters are so real and this simple boy meets girl story is so close to real life, it turns out to be an engrossing story that every audience can identify with.

Marty (Ernest Borgnine) is a middle aged Italian American butcher who lives with his mother in the Bronx. He’s constantly badgered by the family to find a good girl and settle down. However, Marty has resigned himself to a life of bachelorhood due to his social awkwardness and lack of prospects. So Marty spends every Saturday night with the guys, drinking beers, watching the girls, and talking about the same old romantic encounters from their past that probably never occurred.

After being harassed by his mother, Marty goes to a dance and connects with Clara, a plain jane school teacher who is quietly weeping after being abandoned by her blind date. They spend the evening together dancing, walking the busy streets, and talking in a diner. Marty eagerly spills out his life story and ambitions. He brings Clara to his house, and they awkwardly express their mutual attraction, shortly before his mother returns. Marty takes her home by bus, promising to call her at 2:30 the next afternoon, after Mass.

Meanwhile, his cranky, busybody widowed Aunt Catherine moves in to live with Marty and his mother. She warns his mother that Marty will soon marry and cast her aside. Fearing that Marty's romance could spell her abandonment, his mother belittles Clara. Marty's friends, with an undercurrent of envy, deride Clara for her plainness and try to convince him to forget her and to remain with them, unmarried, in their fading youth. Harangued into submission by the pull of his friends, Marty doesn't call Clara.

So that night, Marty is back in the same lonely rut. Marty realizes that he is giving up a woman whom he not only likes, but who makes him happy. Over the objections of his friends, he dashes to a phone booth to call Clara, who sits gloomily watching television with her parents. When his friend asks what he's doing, Marty bursts out saying:

“You don't like her, my mother don't like her, she's a dog and I'm a fat, ugly man! Well, all I know is I had a good time last night! I'm gonna have a good time tonight! If we have enough good times together, I'm gonna get down on my knees and I'm gonna beg that girl to marry me! If we make a party on New Year's, I got a date for that party. You don't like her? That's too bad”

Marty closes the phone boot’s door when Clara answers the phone. In the last line of the film, he tentatively says, "Hello ... Hello, Clara?"

Marty was described as the biggest little movie of the year. It won 8 academy awards. It might not be your kind of movie but it’s certain one of the best movies of its kind.

Marty (film) - Wikipedia

I love this movie! It's heartbreakingly beautiful. It's Borgnine's best performance of his career, imo.

It doesn't take a 100 million dollars and the top stars to make a good movie. All it takes is a good story, a good script, capable actors, and good direction to produce a movie that will bring a tear to the eyes of viewers and put a smile on their face as they walk out of the door. And Marty did just that.

"Marty" is a 1953 television play by Paddy Chayefsky. It was telecast live in May 1953, on The Philco Television Playhouse. Rod Steiger was in title role as Marty.

Loved the movie and still watch it on occasion BUT......

the scenes with his ancient mother and her sister talking abut how OLD they are.....

turns out they are only 55!

That sure was a different time.

?

Lately I've been digging for (and finding and watching) ghost stories from the 30's and 40's!

Have you seen The Uninvited? It's a classic ghost story released in 1944 staring Ray Millard. It's quite tame compared to the ghost stores of today. It's an intriguing mood piece, subtle and suggestive in its imagery. The story involves a writer and his sister who find this wonderful house on the Cornish coast. Very slowly the house becomes not quite so wonderful. The scenery is gorgeous and the theme music, "Stella by Starlight" is perfect. The only downer to this movie is the plot has been used over and over such that many people may find it boring and a bit to subtle. However it is a great movie. I think Rotten Tomatoes rates it 93%

Marty (film) - Wikipedia

the scenes with his ancient mother and her sister talking abut how OLD they are.....

In 50's 55 was consider old, not like today.

I only wish Hollywood would turn out more movies like this one with simple themes, good scripts, and actors that make their characters come alive. Too many movies rely on CGI and star power which results in cardboard characters that become incidental to the story and special effects.

One movie I saw some years ago was certainly the exception. Tender Mercies staring Robert Duvall released in 1983. It had a limited release, due to a poor test screening and it generally failed at the box office but was praised by critics and received 5 academy award nominations including best picture. Duvall considered it one his best pictures.

Duvall plays a washed up, alcoholic country singer, who awakens at a run-down Texas roadside motel and gas station after a night of heavy drinking. He meets the owner a young widow and her son, who offers him work in exchange for a room. The film encompasses several different themes, including the importance of love and family, salvation, and recovery.

Marty (film) - Wikipedia

Marty (film) - Wikipedia

I only wish Hollywood would turn out more movies like this one with simple themes, good scripts, and actors that make their characters come alive. Too many movies rely on CGI and star power which results in cardboard characters that become incidental to the story and special effects.

One movie I saw some years ago was certainly the exception. Tender Mercies staring Robert Duvall released in 1983. It had a limited release, due to a poor test screening and it generally failed at the box office but was praised by critics and received 5 academy award nominations including best picture. Duvall considered it one his best pictures.

Duvall plays a washed up, alcoholic country singer, who awakens at a run-down Texas roadside motel and gas station after a night of heavy drinking. He meets the owner a young widow and her son, who offers him work in exchange for a room. The film encompasses several different themes, including the importance of love and family, salvation, and recovery.

Hear hear! This is why I prefer old movies. The scripts were better, the actors could act, and they knew how to pace the story. No cheap reliance on special effects - except for the obvious horror and scifi movies.

Last edited:

Marty (film) - Wikipedia

Marty (film) - Wikipedia

Hear hear! This is why I prefer old movies. The script were better, the actors could act, and they knew how to pace the story. No cheap reliance on special effects - except for the obvious horror and scifi movies.

Even the horror/ghost stories (many of them) didn't use much special effects; they allowed your own imagination to fill in the blanks!

?

Have you seen The Uninvited? It's a classic ghost story released in 1944 staring Ray Millard. It's quite tame compared to the ghost stores of today. It's an intriguing mood piece, subtle and suggestive in its imagery. The story involves a writer and his sister who find this wonderful house on the Cornish coast. Very slowly the house becomes not quite so wonderful. The scenery is gorgeous and the theme music, "Stella by Starlight" is perfect. The only downer to this movie is the plot has been used over and over such that many people may find it boring and a bit to subtle. However it is a great movie. I think Rotten Tomatoes rates it 93%

I DID see it!

Loved it!

and just the right amount of scary!

Marty (film) - Wikipedia

Hear hear! This is why I prefer old movies. The script were better, the actors could act, and they knew how to pace the story. No cheap reliance on special effects - except for the obvious horror and scifi movies.

Even the horror/ghost stories (many of them) didn't use much special effects; they allowed your own imagination to fill in the blanks!

Suspense is more frightening than blatant in your face "scawy".

Suspense is more frightening than blatant in your face "scawy".

Apparently that is why hitchcock films were so scary;

in Psycho, in the shower scene, you don't actually SEE anything; you hear the frightening sounds and music and see blood splashing about and the curtains moving but you don't see the actual knife attack.....

Next movie A big hand for the little lady. Henry Fonda, Joanne Woodward, Burgess Meredith, Jason Robards, Paul Ford, Charles bickford.

I’m not sure I know who the last three are.

And I know the name Joanne woodward but can’t say what movies I’ve ever seen her in

Next movie A big hand for the little lady. Henry Fonda, Joanne Woodward, Burgess Meredith, Jason Robards, Paul Ford, Charles bickford.

And I know the name Joanne woodward but can’t say what movies I’ve ever seen her in

I KNOW I've seen it but I don't remember it at all.

Gonna have to find it and watch it again.

Marty (film) - Wikipedia

Probably one of the most horrifying ghost stories, I have every seen is "The Innocents", released in 1961 starring Debora Kerr. It is a high-quality spine-chilling drama adapted from Henry Jame's, "Turn of the Screw". The plot follows a governess who watches over two children and comes to fear that their large estate is haunted by ghosts and that the children are being possessed. You are never quite sure whether the supernatural phenomenon are just a product of the mind or they are real. What makes it so terrifying is the evil is coming through the innocence of children.

Last edited:

I love old Bogart movies such as treasure of the Sierra madre and the Maltese falcon

Why I watch them to be honest is the story and actors of the past
I agree, it fascinating to see the fictionalized account of the past. It's of course fiction but it gives us a view of how people saw the world, attitudes, dress, and often many things that no longer exist. One period movie that comes to mind that does all of the above is, Orson Welles's "The Magnificent Ambersons" adapted form Booth Tarkington's Pulitzer winning novel. It is about a wealthy family at the turn of the 20th century that lives in a golden world, almost one of memory and then it shows what it turns into as fortunes of an automobile entrepreneur rises and the family falls. It is regarded as one of the best US films ever made. The movie is unique in so many ways. Credits are spoken by an off-screen voice and not shown printed on screen. The movie begins with a short introduction to fashions of the times. Welles uses the camera angle to set mood intertwined with the musical theme. It is truly one of the best period pieces every put on film. It's well worth a view.

Last edited:

I KNOW I've seen it but I don't remember it at all.

Gonna have to find it and watch it again.
I saw it before and didn’t like it. But, I’m glad I forwarded to the end because I forgot how it ended. Weird ending.

It’s not that it’s a bad movie I don’t like what’s happening. To see a man lose money he can’t afford to lose. That’s all I’m going to say. Maybe worth you watching it.

Forum List

Back