Why Four Justices Were Against the Supreme Court's Huge Gay-Marriage Decision

John Marston

Oct 23, 2014
Mesquite
Highlights from the Court's dissents.
The four justices who disagreed with the Court's opinion, authored by Justice Anthony Kennedy, each wrote their own dissent laying out just why they believed the majority to be wrong.

Here's their reasoning.

Chief Justice John Roberts:
"Understand well what this dissent is about: It is not about whether, in my judgment, the institution of marriage should be changed to include same-sex couples."

Justice Antonin Scalia:
"One would think Freedom of Intimacy is abridged rather than expanded by marriage. Ask the nearest hippie."

Justice Clarence Thomas:
"This distortion of our Constitution not only ignores the text, it inverts the relationship between the individual and the state in our Republic. I cannot agree with it."

Justice Samuel Alito:
"For millennia, marriage was inextricably linked to the one thing that only an opposite-sex couple can do: procreate."

According to Justice Antonin Scalia, today's majority ruling represents a "judicial Putsch."
Well, I can not disagree

Or when decreeing that corporations are people. Or at least have the same rights without the responsibilities.

Nothing compared to when 'W' was selected president.

Another hiccup from the uninformed? SCOTUS ruled 7-2 in favor of Bush on the merits (i.e., Gore could not just cherry pick precincts he wanted recounted). The only disagreement among this majority was procedural, whether to settle this issue once and for all (5 votes) or send it back to the Florida Supreme Court for a third try at getting it right (2 votes).

Forum List

Back