Why I Am Not Yet Worried About Ebola.

Are you putting your mouth on gym equipment? Hey if you are into that, no judging here! ;)

Ohhh..word games now...LMAO Ok...... :laugh2:

Did the people who have it now put their nose, eyes or mouths on gym equipment?
Did ANYONE who EVER got ebola, get it from putting their eyes, nose or mouth on gym equipment?

That's my point. In answering the original question, it's unlikely that anyone would contract Ebola from gym equipment.
..and my point is that is a ridiculous premise anyway...
so we're left with the fact that it is a deadly, contagious disease and trained nurses/doctors who have taken the utmost precautions have still contracted the disease....forget about gym equipment.
You even said you wouldn't ride in a car with someone who had it..
...but everything is fine and since the gvmt is in complete control of the situation, there is nothing to worry about.../sarcasm

Are you putting your mouth on gym equipment? Hey if you are into that, no judging here! ;)

Did ANYONE who EVER got ebola, get it from putting their eyes, nose or mouth on gym equipment?

That's my point. In answering the original question, it's unlikely that anyone would contract Ebola from gym equipment.
so we're left with the fact that it is a deadly, contagious disease and trained nurses/doctors who have taken the utmost precautions have still contracted the disease....forget about gym equipment.
...but everything is fine and since the gvmt is in complete control of the situation, there is nothing to worry about.../sarcasm

Hepatitis B&C are more contagious than Ebola. I work with patients who have those diseases every day yet, since I use protective equipment, I have not contracted the disease. There is no way that that one nurse and those two doctors who contracted the disease didn't fail in their use of protective equipment.

And again, the reason I wouldn't ride in a car with someone infected is because it's risky. I'm not sure exactly what your point is here. Nothing about that negates anything I said.

You are talking to someone who has no faith in the government and nothing I said contradicts that. Again, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Hepatitis B&C are more contagious than Ebola. I work with patients who have those diseases every day yet, since I use protective equipment, I have not contracted the disease. There is no way that that one nurse and those two doctors who contracted the disease didn't fail in their use of protective equipment.

And again, the reason I wouldn't ride in a car with someone infected is because it's risky. I'm not sure exactly what your point is here. Nothing about that negates anything I said.

You are talking to someone who has no faith in the government and nothing I said contradicts that. Again, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

On one hand you say you wouldn't ride with someone...on the other hand you say it isn't dangerous to be around people who have it...as long as they aren't symptomatic. That's a narrow, risky window.

Close the border. Ban travel into the u.s. for people who have been in hot zones. We don't need fatal (or any OTHER kind of) third world diseases in the u.s.

On one hand you say you wouldn't ride with someone...on the other hand you say it isn't dangerous to be around people who have it...as long as they aren't symptomatic. That's a narrow, risky window.

Close the border. Ban travel into the u.s. for people who have been in hot zones. We don't need fatal (or any OTHER kind of) third world diseases in the u.s.

One is a personal choice and the other is a fact. The two are not in conflict. I agree on the border and travel restrictions.

One is a personal choice and the other is a fact. The two are not in conflict. I agree on the border and travel restrictions.

You make your "personal choice" based on the fact that ebola can kill you and you don't want to be anywhere near it, right?

You make your "personal choice" based on the fact that ebola can kill you and you don't want to be anywhere near it, right?

Not quite. I make my personal choice because even if the risk is small, I don't want to take it. That doesn't change the fact that it is still a small risk.

Not quite. I make my personal choice because even if the risk is small, I don't want to take it.
Yes...That's exactly what I said.

Not quite. I make my personal choice because even if the risk is small, I don't want to take it.

Again I must ask you exactly what your point is? Are you just fond of pointing out the obvious?

Again I must ask you exactly what your point is? Are you just fond of pointing out the obvious?

Same thing I said in post #43;

One is personal opinion, and the other is fact. The two are not in conflict.

Oh.ok....I have you running in circles now. There is no point continuing. I made my point about double standards.

Oh.ok....I have you running in circles now. There is no point continuing. I made my point about double standards.

You have imagined a double standard where none exists. But hey, if that's how you get on with your life then good luck with it.

You have imagined a double standard where none exists. But hey, if that's how you get on with your life then good luck with it.
It exists..I just demonstrated it...twice.

There cannot be a double standard because the two are not at odds with each other. That the risk of riding in a car with an infected person is low is a fact. That I do not want to take even that low risk is my choice. The one does not conflict or disprove the other. Thus no double standard.

There cannot be a double standard because the two are not at odds with each other. That the risk of riding in a car with an infected person is low is a fact. That I do not want to take even that low risk is my choice. The one does not conflict or disprove the other. Thus no double standard.

Ok..that's a pretty ....ummm... "creative" response.

The chance of contracting it is "low", you say....but not "low" enough for you to take the risk of exposure.

Believe me, I get it.

Ok..that's a pretty ....ummm... "creative" response.

The chance of contracting it is "low", you say....but not "low" enough for you to take the risk of exposure.

Believe me, I get it.

Yeah well you haven't convinced me that you do. Not that it matters really.

Ebola, Marburg vaccine formula found?...

Formula Developed for Vaccines Against All Hemorrhagic Viruses
October 16, 2015 | WASHINGTON— The World Health Organization reported two more cases of Ebola in Guinea Friday, ending a two week period with no new infections of the deadly virus in West Africa.
While the news is disappointing, experts did not think the outbreak was over, and even if it were, Dr. Anthony Fauci at the National Institutes of Health said there will be more Ebola outbreaks in the future. "We are going to have other Ebola outbreaks. History tells us that Ebola doesn’t just disappear and go away," Fauci said. To prove his point, Fauci pointed out that there have been 24 outbreaks of Ebola since 1976. But it wasn't until this year that a vaccine that’s 100 percent effective was available. That's because scientists in the public and private sectors, even those from competing pharmaceutical companies, worked together to produce a safe and effective vaccine in record time.

The vaccine combines a piece of the Zaire strain of Ebola with a weakened cold sore virus. The result is vaccine that doesn't make people sick, but protects against Ebola-Zaire. There are four different strains of Ebola virus that can affect people. "The available evidence is that a vaccine against one strain will not protect against other viruses of a different strain," according to Dr. Mark Feinberg, the chief scientist for Merck Vaccines, a branch of the pharmaceutical company that produced the vaccine for trials in West Africa. Merck is also known as MSD. Although the current vaccine only protects against Ebola-Zaire, Feinberg said the cold sore virus, or VSV, can be combined with proteins from other strains of Ebola. He said, "The VSV approach for the Zaire Ebola strain that was tested in this study has been successfully and very effectively applied to all the other known strains of Ebola" in studies involving monkeys.

Fauci, who heads the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at NIH, said marrying the weakened cold sore virus with a piece of other hemorrhagic viruses could produce vaccines against the deadly Marburg virus or the less deadly but more prevalent Lassa virus. Well before the first case of Ebola broke out in West Africa, scientists were working on vaccines for other deadly hemorrhagic viruses. Marburg, which is just as deadly as Ebola, and Lassa, a virus that is far more common in Africa than Ebola or Marburg. Up to half a million people in West Africa get Lassa fever every year and about 5,000 die from it, according to data from the World Health Organization. Lassa fever is a major health problem throughout West Africa. Fauci said. "Our original purpose before the outbreak of Ebola in West Africa, was to... have VSV as a vector and to have Marburg, Lassa and Ebola in there."

He said the research on producing vaccines against hemorrhagic viruses will go forward. The goal is to never have an Ebola epidemic again. "Our original purpose before the outbreak of Ebola in West Africa, was to do just that: to have VSV as a vector and to have Marburg, Lassa and Ebola in there. That was the original plan. When Ebola had this historic outbreak in West Africa, we put aside the plans for the others and we focused on developing just the Ebola," Fauci said. The next time Ebola breaks out, Fauci said, public health specialists want to be prepared. Meanwhile, research continues on vaccines for all hemorrhagic viruses. The goal is to end the suffering from all hemorrhagic fevers in West Africa.

Formula Developed for Vaccines Against All Hemorrhagic Viruses

Forum List

Back