Why I don't believe in God

Lol! Yup, if we can't explain it must be GODS! ;) Just like the ancient peoples.

If you believe in God... whether it is explained OR not, doesn't make any difference. Of course God did it! God did everything... doesn't answer the question as to HOW God did it, does it?

Well, like I said earlier in this thread, I don't really believe in a god, so I completely disagree. I mean, you saying that god did this and that doesn't really mean anything to me because I really don't take the concept of a god too seriously.

If there was a god though, then I do not think IT is anything like what most people think it is.

Lol! Yup, if we can't explain it must be GODS! ;) Just like the ancient peoples.
You are an idiot.

Welcome to my ignore list.
Then you better ignore me too.

This is the only reason we don't like being atheists. We don't like hurting good peoples feelings or to burst your bubble. Ignorance is bliss and I hate being a bliss buster.

I just think a lie is a lie no matter how good it makes you feel. And it's holding us back as a species. How? A million ways.

It's funny because I had made a post saying that ancient people used "gods" to explain that which they don't understand, and then this one goes on to give examples of things he cannot explain so that it MUST be the work of a god! :D Hilarious.

I've thought about this since I was a child and questioned it. I've never seen any evidence of the existence of any gods, therefore, I have no reason to believe that any gods exist.

No doubt that we are imaginative and can create stories. However, we don't imagine something that isn't real and yet it has some magical effect on us.. that's just nuts. If you hit your finger with a hammer, you can't imagine that Tinkerbell came down and waved her magic wand and made your finger stop hurting. Or maybe, if you've been doing shrooms you can... but eventually you come to realize you were just tripping and Tinkerbell didn't do much for your smashed finger.

No Tinkerbells here, or "magical effects" for that matter. :)

Well then, you're left with no argument.

You are the one talking about Tinker Bells and magic mushrooms. :D That wasn't me. Lol. If I hit my finger with a hammer, then it's going to hurt. No Tinkerbells or gods are going to do anything about that.

Right.. but don't you see? You are claiming that we invented God to console our hurt. Doesn't work... like you said, you hit your finger, it fucking hurts... no invention of your imagination is going to console your hurt.
If you refuse to get it I don't think she should continue trying to explain it.

She and I understand a major emotional reason you have cognitive dissonance on this. If you don't want to admit you are superstitious and practicing wishful thinking that's cool but you won't convince us, just yourself.

You don't understand much of anything as best I can tell.

I'm real sorry but my Science professors never taught me about this aspect of the Scientific Method where theories are proven valid because someone "doesn't get it" or "doesn't understand."

Conventionally, you are supposed to present evidence and if I can't find your evidence valid you have to convince me. It's usually not a matter of "I say so (and so does my buddy) and you just don't get it."

No Tinkerbells here, or "magical effects" for that matter. :)

Well then, you're left with no argument.

You are the one talking about Tinker Bells and magic mushrooms. :D That wasn't me. Lol. If I hit my finger with a hammer, then it's going to hurt. No Tinkerbells or gods are going to do anything about that.

Right.. but don't you see? You are claiming that we invented God to console our hurt. Doesn't work... like you said, you hit your finger, it fucking hurts... no invention of your imagination is going to console your hurt.
If you refuse to get it I don't think she should continue trying to explain it.

She and I understand a major emotional reason you have cognitive dissonance on this. If you don't want to admit you are superstitious and practicing wishful thinking that's cool but you won't convince us, just yourself.

You don't understand much of anything as best I can tell.

I'm real sorry but my Science professors never taught me about this aspect of the Scientific Method where theories are proven valid because someone "doesn't get it" or "doesn't understand."

Conventionally, you are supposed to present evidence and if I can't find your evidence valid you have to convince me. It's usually not a matter of "I say so (and so does my buddy) and you just don't get it."

What evidence? You have given a couple of examples of . . . some silly coincidences and then proclaim "it's God!" Geez, that does not count as any kind of scientific evidence whatsoever. Lol.

If I found 100 dollars in my purse, I would assume I had put there and forgotten about it. :D I would certainly NOT think that God "blessed me" with a 100 dollar bill. To me, that is really . . . crazy.

What else is really funny is that this thread is titled "Why I Don't Believe in God" yet religious people show up and act all offended about it. :D Lol. Well sorry but we all do not believe in god or at least your version of a god.

Bastard who murdered those kids blew a .24 BAC and 'He was released from prison in 1999 after serving nearly 11 years of his 17-year sentence. '

Would smile-kill him and I don't care if they execute me for it. That's a death I"d be ok with.
Why? He made a mistake. A huge one but I think 11 is enough.

We have to start treating people we are mad at differently than the people we are afraid of. I'd agree with you if we were talking about Jeffrey Dahmer but were talking about a drunk.

But after that 11 years I say the guy owes the victims family 10% of their pay for the rest of their lives. If they hit the lotto, 10% goes to the family. And you must work. No work go back to prison and find a job from there.

This would require completely changing the way we do everything.

Wouldn't that deter people from drunk driving? Ten % for the rest of your life. When your parents die and you get inheritance, ten%.

Bastard who murdered those kids blew a .24 BAC and 'He was released from prison in 1999 after serving nearly 11 years of his 17-year sentence. '

Would smile-kill him and I don't care if they execute me for it. That's a death I"d be ok with.
Why? He made a mistake. A huge one but I think 11 is enough.

We have to start treating people we are mad at differently than the people we are afraid of. I'd agree with you if we were talking about Jeffrey Dahmer but were talking about a drunk.

But after that 11 years I say the guy owes the victims family 10% of their pay for the rest of their lives. If they hit the lotto, 10% goes to the family. And you must work. No work go back to prison and find a job from there.

This would require completely changing the way we do everything.

Wouldn't that deter people from drunk driving? Ten % for the rest of your life. When your parents die and you get inheritance, ten%.

Well, that is the case sometimes if a person is sued in a civil case and wins. If the defendant does not pay up, he or she is going to owe that money to the victims and if he or she wins any money, the defendant will have to give it over to the victims.

If you believe in God... whether it is explained OR not, doesn't make any difference. Of course God did it! God did everything... doesn't answer the question as to HOW God did it, does it?

Well, like I said earlier in this thread, I don't really believe in a god, so I completely disagree. I mean, you saying that god did this and that doesn't really mean anything to me because I really don't take the concept of a god too seriously.

If there was a god though, then I do not think IT is anything like what most people think it is.

Chris, with all due respect, in your heart of hearts, I know that you believe in something inside you that is greater than yourself. I can tell by reading your posts. I can relate to your distrust of religion but you really need to know that your human spirituality is not associated or affiliated with any religion. Neglecting your spirituality for too long is not healthy, either physically or emotionally.

Now, silly boob is a different story. Unlike you, he doesn't know how to carry himself with grace. He probably doesn't think there is anything inside him greater than himself. He is a self-loathing and pathetic person who seeks approval from others by being despicable and crude. In less than 20 years, he will die a miserable, bitter and lonely man, with nothing to show for his life.

If I found 100 dollars in my purse, I would assume I had put there and forgotten about it. :D I would certainly NOT think that God "blessed me" with a 100 dollar bill. To me, that is really . . . crazy.

You missed the point. You would NOT create some imaginary thing to explain the unexplained. You would rationalize that you forgot about it. Yes... it's CRAZY for someone to imagine something that is not real and convince themselves it is responsible for anything. So why do you think this is what humans did 70k years ago and have been doing ever since? :dunno:

Makes NO sense. It's CRAZY!

You missed the point. You would NOT create some imaginary thing to explain the unexplained. You would rationalize that you forgot about it. Yes... it's CRAZY for someone to imagine something that is not real and convince themselves it is responsible for anything. So why do you think this is what humans did 70k years ago and have been doing ever since? :dunno:

I'm not talking about that kind of scenario. I'm talking about natural disasters, death, things of that nature. Yes, that is more than likely how the first "gods" came to be. Ancient people who were ignorant of the world around them and needed an "explanation."

That is EXACTLY the reason why things like "virgin sacrifices" were performed. To placate the "gods" so that ancient communities could try to avoid plagues and drought and all of those bad things.

Human sacrifice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Human sacrifice is the act of killing one or more human beings, usually as an offering to a deity, as part of a religious ritual. Human sacrifice has been practiced in variouscultures throughout history. Victims were typically ritually killed in a manner that was supposed to please or appease gods, spirits or the deceased, for example as apropitiatory offering, or as a retainer sacrifice when the King's servants are killed in order for them to continue to serve their master in the next life. Closely related practices found in some tribal societies are cannibalism and headhunting.[1] By the Iron Age, with the associated developments in religion (the Axial Age), human sacrifice was becoming less common throughout the Old World, and came to be looked down upon as barbaric in pre-modern times (Classical Antiquity). In the New World, however, human sacrifice continued to be widespread to varying degrees until the European colonization of the Americas.

In modern times, even the practice of animal sacrifice has virtually disappeared from all major religions (or has been re-cast in terms of ritual slaughter), and human sacrifice has become extremely rare. Most religions condemn the practice, and present-day secular laws treat it as murder. In a society which condemns human sacrifice, the termritual murder is used.[2][3]

I really don't see much difference between what ancient people believed and the religious beliefs that we see today except that, of course, they have toned down their "rituals." Most Christians would abide by the NT but not the OT. The belief system and how it developed, IMO, is pretty much the same. I think all gods were created by men to explain away things they couldn't understand and things that seemed "unbelievable," like the earth opening up and swallowing things during an earthquake, or a Tsunami washing away entire villages and towns and killing everyone.

Oh, and ancient people also had many stories about sea monsters and other such myths that they SWORE were real at the time. Mermaids, serpents, squids that were so giant they could swallow an entire ship. People are very imaginative creatures, and when they are under stress or duress, they can make up and/or imagine some wild things.

I'm not talking about that kind of scenario. I'm talking about natural disasters, death, things of that nature. Yes, that is more than likely how the first "gods" came to be. Ancient people who were ignorant of the world around them and needed an "explanation."

Well the significance of death or something life-changing shouldn't change the logic or insanity of believing in some imaginary being to explain things. The scenario doesn't matter, if anything, that would be even CRAZIER!

So what does an imaginary money gnome explain? Not a damn thing... it's silly and crazy, you admitted it yourself. Creating something imaginary in your mind does not work to explain things... it just doesn't. Not unless you're insane. The RATIONAL mind seeks a REAL explanation and cannot be content with something they know isn't real. That's why your theory makes absolutely NO sense.

Well the significance of death or something life-changing shouldn't change the logic or insanity of believing in some imaginary being to explain things. The scenario doesn't matter, if anything, that would be even CRAZIER!

So what does an imaginary money gnome explain? Not a damn thing... it's silly and crazy, you admitted it yourself. Creating something imaginary in your mind does not work to explain things... it just doesn't. Not unless you're insane. The RATIONAL mind seeks a REAL explanation and cannot be content with something they know isn't real. That's why your theory makes absolutely NO sense.

I'm sorry, but that is how all beliefs have started. To explain away things that weren't understood at the time.

Forum List

Back