Why I don't believe in God

If God can create sentient beings on a whim, if Jesus can create food and bread to feed multitudes, then can both save their own faithful once in fucking while.

They already have. Through their sacrifice they have ensured everyone who ever dies will be resurrected.

Their spirits will reunite with their bodies into immortality.

Seems kind of silly to be upset with God over people dying when He has already solved.The problem of death for us.

Death is not a "problem". It is a natural process that happens to every living organism eventually. That is why we have these kinds of beliefs, because we are sentient beings and we realize what is going to happen.

And the resurrection is likewise a natural process that happens to all living. Without it, death would be a serious problem because we would be eternally miserable and unable to obtain a fullness of joy.

I hate to say that I think we just go in for the "dirt nap." Hey, that's just what I believe though. I have no "evidence" to show me that anything else happens after death.

I suspect that's the basis for religion. We're physically weak, the world is big, scary place we didn't understand, and at the end of the day we're all scared of what happens after that last breath. So we made up stories to comfort ourselves. We go to a better place, bad people don't, we become with the Force, whatever.

Maybe something happens, maybe nothing. I can't change it anyways, so why worry about it?

If God can create sentient beings on a whim, if Jesus can create food and bread to feed multitudes, then can both save their own faithful once in fucking while.

They already have. Through their sacrifice they have ensured everyone who ever dies will be resurrected.

Seems kind of silly to be upset with God over people dying when He has already solved.The problem of death for us.

Death is not a "problem". It is a natural process that happens to every living organism eventually. That is why we have these kinds of beliefs, because we are sentient beings and we realize what is going to happen.

And the resurrection is likewise a natural process that happens to all living. Without it, death would be a serious problem because we would be eternally miserable and unable to obtain a fullness of joy.

I hate to say that I think we just go in for the "dirt nap." Hey, that's just what I believe though. I have no "evidence" to show me that anything else happens after death.

I suspect that's the basis for religion. We're physically weak, the world is big, scary place we didn't understand, and at the end of the day we're all scared of what happens after that last breath. So we made up stories to comfort ourselves. We go to a better place, bad people don't, we become with the Force, whatever.

Maybe something happens, maybe nothing. I can't change it anyways, so why worry about it?

It is a scary thing, and it's not easy to question those things either after hearing about "hell" and stuff. Lol. It's a catch-22. Free will? Not so sure about all that when you face threats of torture and stuff!

So we made up stories to comfort ourselves.

This just never made any sense to me whatsoever. I'm sorry. I don't get it. How does it help you to imagine something non-existent? Next time something bad happens to you... try thinking of some fictional thing in your imagination and see if it makes you feel better about the bad thing... I am betting it makes little or no difference. If your wife burns your dinner, just sit there and imagine it is steak and lobster and clean your plate with a smile on your face... should work, right?

It's just such a dumb notion. I'm sorry, I know it's your belief and I don't mean to make fun of it but I never have understood how people can accept this. In addition, we see no example anywhere else in nature of any species of life inventing something imaginary in order to cope. Every natural behavior in every species of life has a purpose and reason. Of course our spirituality helps us cope with the loss of a loved one but it's because our spiritual connection is REAL. So you are actually presenting evidence for our spiritual attribute, not an explanation of it.

This just never made any sense to me whatsoever. I'm sorry. I don't get it. How does it help you to imagine something non-existent? Next time something bad happens to you... try thinking of some fictional thing in your imagination and see if it makes you feel better about the bad thing... I am betting it makes little or no difference. If your wife burns your dinner, just sit there and imagine it is steak and lobster and clean your plate with a smile on your face... should work, right?

It's just such a dumb notion. I'm sorry, I know it's your belief and I don't mean to make fun of it but I never have understood how people can accept this. In addition, we see no example anywhere else in nature of any species of life inventing something imaginary in order to cope. Every natural behavior in every species of life has a purpose and reason. Of course our spirituality helps us cope with the loss of a loved one but it's because our spiritual connection is REAL. So you are actually presenting evidence for our spiritual attribute, not an explanation of it.

The same way all stories were made up. That's how. People are imaginative.

People used to really think vampires were real too, and they had evidence!

Again... you are doing MORE to prove my point than to refute it.

You said it yourself... people used to think... they learned better and changed. When we learn things are untrue we move on, we don't keep on believing them. However, we have ALWAYS believed in something greater than self. It has never left us, we've never abandoned it. If there were nothing to it (like vampires) we would have learned better and moved on... long, long ago.

You said it yourself... people used to think... they learned better and changed. When we learn things are untrue we move on, we don't keep on believing them. However, we have ALWAYS believed in something greater than self. It has never left us, we've never abandoned it. If there were nothing to it (like vampires) we would have learned better and moved on... long, long ago.

It's wishful thinking, IMO.

No doubt that we are imaginative and can create stories. However, we don't imagine something that isn't real and yet it has some magical effect on us.. that's just nuts. If you hit your finger with a hammer, you can't imagine that Tinkerbell came down and waved her magic wand and made your finger stop hurting. Or maybe, if you've been doing shrooms you can... but eventually you come to realize you were just tripping and Tinkerbell didn't do much for your smashed finger.

If this thread had been posted in the Religion forum, the challenge to my snarky commentary about the OP would be more on point.

I do agree that EVERY participant in almost all discussions on the Board is demonstrating a bit of ego. It's like they are claiming "hey. listen to what I have to say about this topic. MY thoughts are worthy of YOUR time and consideration!"

Of course, some of us are right. Some aren't.

Is there some noble reason why you are posting your thoughts and opinions? :D

Of course. I have seen the light. I am more or less obliged to SHARE, with the people, my quite valuable insights and musings!

In the alternative: Free will, baby!

Well . . . waiting. :)

We all wait for lots of things.

WTF are YOU waiting on?

Curious minds wish to know.

What do you mean? I'm not waiting on anything.

So when you wrote, "Well . . . waiting. :)" you didn't know wtf you were posting?

That clears everything up!

No doubt that we are imaginative and can create stories. However, we don't imagine something that isn't real and yet it has some magical effect on us.. that's just nuts. If you hit your finger with a hammer, you can't imagine that Tinkerbell came down and waved her magic wand and made your finger stop hurting. Or maybe, if you've been doing shrooms you can... but eventually you come to realize you were just tripping and Tinkerbell didn't do much for your smashed finger.

No Tinkerbells here, or "magical effects" for that matter. :)

Is there some noble reason why you are posting your thoughts and opinions? :D

Of course. I have seen the light. I am more or less obliged to SHARE, with the people, my quite valuable insights and musings!

In the alternative: Free will, baby!

Well . . . waiting. :)

We all wait for lots of things.

WTF are YOU waiting on?

Curious minds wish to know.

What do you mean? I'm not waiting on anything.

So when you wrote, "Well . . . waiting. :)" you didn't know wtf you were posting?

That clears everything up!

Besides your claim of some mystical "light", nothing.

Okay... so how often have you "wishfully thought" something, been let down, but kept on "wishfully thinking" it? Wishful thinking only takes you so far, then you have to face reality. I really think that humanity and human achievement is based on something more than our wishful thinking that our inspiration existed.

Well then, you're left with no argument.

Okay... so how often have you "wishfully thought" something, been let down, but kept on "wishfully thinking" it? Wishful thinking only takes you so far, then you have to face reality. I really think that humanity and human achievement is based on something more than our wishful thinking that our inspiration existed.

I'm sorry, but I just don't consider these kinds of religious beliefs to be any more than that.

Well then, you're left with no argument.

You are the one talking about Tinker Bells and magic mushrooms. :D That wasn't me. Lol. If I hit my finger with a hammer, then it's going to hurt. No Tinkerbells or gods are going to do anything about that.

yebut ...

What we all wanna know is why you don't believe in the time before the big bang.

And yeah. It's a trick question because we all know there was no time before time nor space before that time.

Something DID come out of nothing, you see.

And that's what we are obligated to believe because physics says it and therefore it must be true even if the "science" that leads to that conclusion itself violates the rules of science.

Which is a pretty convenient state of original facts.

I swear I haven't had a drink nor have I imbibed any special controlled substances.

In that special state that led to the creation of all that exists (time, space, matter energy), there was no need for a cause for any effect.

Effects just kind of happened. It was like

magic.

I'm sorry, but I just don't consider these kinds of religious beliefs to be any more than that.

It's not about Religion, Chris. I've said that already. I am not a Religious person or really even a big Religious fan. I think Religion is terribly flawed. It only serves as valid and ample evidence that humans have a very healthy and vibrant connection with spirituality. It is through this spiritual connection that man has created all these assorted religious beliefs. We are fucked up and flawed inferior creatures though, so we keep creating fucked up and flawed religions as a result. This doesn't negate our spiritual connection, it reaffirms it.

Forum List

Back