Why I don't believe in God

"Gods" are what ancient peoples used to explain away things they didn't understand. They would get hit with famine and think the gods were punishing them, so they would make a sacrifice or what not and think it was all good for a while until the next natural disaster.
That is a modern spin on it, nothing more.

When Aristotle, Plato and Socrates developed their idea of a Creator, it had nothing to do with little godlings that you speak of, dear.

Ah, so you see? They "developed" the idea of a creator. Interesting. ;)

If you want to call "wishful thinking" evidence, then okay.

Where did 'wishful thinking' come into play here? I said nothing of the sort.

People from all over had different beliefs and some didn't have any beliefs in gods. The Greeks had their own set of "gods."
The Greeks also had Aristotle and others who believed in a Creator before they were acquainted with the Jews too.

So what?

Aristotle did NOT believe in God; his model is of an eternal, static universe.

Your comment about evidence?

I dont see it. Which post was it?

There are many, many different beliefs, and many different types of pagan beliefs were also very popular at one time.
And that proves what exactly? That there are lots of differing opinions? Sure, but there are a lot of commonalities, similar to the Ten Commandments. I think that there are more commonalities than differences, but the simple fact is that the Abrahamic faiths are taling over the whole planet because they ahve the best set of concepts behind a Creator God, not silly godlings.

Aristotle did NOT believe in God; his model is of an eternal, static universe.

Aristotle believed in a Creator, or Prime Cause or an Unmoved Mover which is what we would call an Eternal Being.

So I guess I have to disagree with you there.

Is it anything like the Great Pumpkin?
No, it is not.

Perhaps you dont believe in God because you cant disassociate fantasy from concepts of the Reality you live in, thus 'Great Spirit' of the Amerindian tribes is no more or less fantastical than a clearly made up cartoon 'Great pumpkin'?

I think that they have counseling for that.

"God" was a one-off that decided 13.8 billion earth-years ago that being alone was getting mighty boring.
What makes you think God has only made one universe?
Did I say that? What makes you think that I said that? :dunno:

I've been contemplating the multiple universe/parallel universe theory of late. I believe that in one of them, the Cubs have won every World Series every year for the past 111 earth-years. :slap:

Is it anything like the Great Pumpkin?
No, it is not.

Perhaps you dont believe in God because you cant disassociate fantasy from concepts of the Reality you live in, thus 'Great Spirit' of the Amerindian tribes is no more or less fantastical than a clearly made up cartoon 'Great pumpkin'?

I think that they have counseling for that.

It was a joke. I think you dropped your sense of humor. :D

Ah, so you see? They "developed" the idea of a creator. Interesting. ;)

You didnt realize that monotheism was developed among Greek philosophers?

Sheesh, what do they teach in college today?

Actually monotheism was developed in Egypt before it went to Greece. There is evidence of a Pharaoh who changed from multiple gods, to one single god, then when he died they tried to wipe out all evidence of him having ever existed.

How Pharaoh Akhenaten Worshiped the Sun God

"The effect of these doctrines can be seen in the sun worship of Pharaoh Akhenaten, who became an uncompromising monotheist. Aldred has speculated that monotheism was Akhenaten's own idea, the result of regarding Aten as a self-created heavenly king whose son, the pharaoh, was also unique."

If God can create sentient beings on a whim, if Jesus can create food and bread to feed multitudes, then can both save their own faithful once in fucking while.

They already have. Through their sacrifice they have ensured everyone who ever dies will be resurrected.

Their spirits will reunite with their bodies into immortality.

Seems kind of silly to be upset with God over people dying when He has already solved.The problem of death for us.

Bastard who murdered those kids blew a .24 BAC and 'He was released from prison in 1999 after serving nearly 11 years of his 17-year sentence. '

Would smile-kill him and I don't care if they execute me for it. That's a death I"d be ok with.

So you are a murderer. Who gives you the authority to take another man's life in cold blood?

If God can create sentient beings on a whim, if Jesus can create food and bread to feed multitudes, then can both save their own faithful once in fucking while.

They already have. Through their sacrifice they have ensured everyone who ever dies will be resurrected.

Seems kind of silly to be upset with God over people dying when He has already solved.The problem of death for us.

Death is not a "problem". It is a natural process that happens to every living organism eventually. That is why we have these kinds of beliefs, because we are sentient beings and we realize what is going to happen.

Death is not a "problem". It is a natural process that happens to every living organism eventually. That is why we have these kinds of beliefs, because we are sentient beings and we realize what is going to happen.

And the resurrection is likewise a natural process that happens to all living. Without it, death would be a serious problem because we would be eternally miserable and unable to obtain a fullness of joy.

And the resurrection is likewise a natural process that happens to all living. Without it, death would be a serious problem because we would be eternally miserable and unable to obtain a fullness of joy.

I hate to say that I think we just go in for the "dirt nap." Hey, that's just what I believe though. I have no "evidence" to show me that anything else happens after death.

He got us we are mocking them but its to make a point. If it's silly were gonna say it. If it's stupid or dumb well.

I'm really not trying to mock him personally. I just . . . can't believe that people can believe that story. He says he doesn't follow an organized religion, so I don't know he feels about Adam and Eve and all the other "parables" in the Bible.

I think the Garden of Eden story is an allegory. I think many of the so-called fables in the Bible are allegorical or analogous. Before we had written language, stories had to be remembered and passed down through story-telling... and how do you tell a compelling story? They didn't have visual and audio medium or even text... they only had imagination. So most of the stories are full of colorful imagery that you can envision in your mind and maintain interest. It's just the way they told stories back then and we stupidly try to take it literally.

He got us we are mocking them but its to make a point. If it's silly were gonna say it. If it's stupid or dumb well.

I'm really not trying to mock him personally. I just . . . can't believe that people can believe that story. He says he doesn't follow an organized religion, so I don't know he feels about Adam and Eve and all the other "parables" in the Bible.

I think the Garden of Eden story is an allegory. I think many of the so-called fables in the Bible are allegorical or analogous. Before we had written language, stories had to be remembered and passed down through story-telling... and how do you tell a compelling story? They didn't have visual and audio medium or even text... they only had imagination. So most of the stories are full of colorful imagery that you can envision in your mind and maintain interest. It's just the way they told stories back then and we stupidly try to take it literally.

I can buy that. I have thought myself that the Bible stories are most like parables, like "lessons." Well, there are a LOT of people who actually do take it literally too.

Bastard who murdered those kids blew a .24 BAC and 'He was released from prison in 1999 after serving nearly 11 years of his 17-year sentence. '

Would smile-kill him and I don't care if they execute me for it. That's a death I"d be ok with.

So you are a murderer. Who gives you the authority to take another man's life in cold blood?

I've heard it said many times, "some men just need killing." It ain't murder when it's taking out the trash. Illegal maybe, but not necessarily wrong.

Forum List

Back