Why I listen to Conservative Talk Radio

Question for the fringe, or those who believe they are not a member of the fringe but continue to describe the MSM as having a liberal bias: How was the reporting on Katrina before landfall, the video of Katrina after landfall and video of the flooding and human misery after landfall not journalism?
After explaining all of that, please explain, Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job, and his subsequent 'transfer' as well as Brownies later testemony before Congress.

From a 2004 study, and things haven't changed much.

In this paper we estimate ADA (Americans for Democratic Action) scores for major media outlets such as the New York Times, USA Today, Fox News’ Special Report, and all three network television news shows. Our estimates allow us to answer such questions as “Is the average article in the New York Times more liberal than the average speech by Tom Daschle?” or “Is the average story on Fox News more conservative than the average speech by Bill Frist?” To compute our measure, we count the times that a media outlet cites various think tanks and other policy groups. We compare this with the times that members of Congress cite the same think tanks in their speeches on the floor of the House and Senate. By comparing the citation patterns we construct an ADA score. As a simplified example, imagine that there were only two think tanks, one liberal and one conservative. Suppose that the New York Times cited the liberal think tank twice as often as the conservative one. Our method asks: What is the typical ADA score of members of Congress who exhibit the same frequency (2:1) in their speeches? This is the score that we would assign to the New York Times. Our results show a strong liberal bias. All of the news outlets except Fox News’ Special Report and the Washington Times received a score to the left of the average member of Congress. Consistent with many conservative critics, CBS Evening News and the New York Times received a score far left of center. Outlets such as the Washington Post, USA Today, NPR’s Morning Edition, NBC’s Nightly News and ABC’s World News Tonight were moderately left. The most centrist outlets (but still left-leaning) by our measure were the Newshour with Jim Lehrer, CNN’s NewsNight with Aaron Brown, and ABC’s Good Morning America. Fox News’ Special Report, while right of center, was closer to the center than any of the three major networks’ evening news broadcasts. All of our findings refer strictly to the news stories of the outlets. That is, we omitted editorials, book reviews, and letters to the editor from our sample.

A Measure of Media Bias

Yes, this was a great study that blew holes in a lot of myths about Fox News and the media in general.

For those who want the data broken down into more digestable segments, here is Meg Sullivan's (UCLA newsroom) analysis of the study. This data has also been featured in pieces by George Will, Real Politics, Chas Krauthammer, and other credible journalists/analysts:

Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist / UCLA Newsroom

you prove how far out on the left fringe you are by calling Bush "far right"

You prove how ignorant you are, everytime you post. Consider, my words, not your spin. I wrote, "Bush was a tool of the far right"; maybe you're not ignorant, maybe a liar is a more accurate assessment. Of course, Bush is far right in terms of his appointments, consider how many in his administration attended Regency Law School.
maybe your just too fucked up to know what was actually said

btw, the name of the school you are refering to isnt "regency" its REGENT UNIVERSITY
Regent University School of Law

and just because someone is "Christian" it doesnt mean they are "far right" or even "right" at all

Well at least he cited UC as a great education institution, so maybe he'll accept UCLA as a credible source even though he already has said he won't read the summary of the study. :)

Question for the fringe, or those who believe they are not a member of the fringe but continue to describe the MSM as having a liberal bias: How was the reporting on Katrina before landfall, the video of Katrina after landfall and video of the flooding and human misery after landfall not journalism?
After explaining all of that, please explain, Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job, and his subsequent 'transfer' as well as Brownies later testemony before Congress.

In this paper we estimate ADA (Americans for Democratic Action) scores for major media outlets such as the New York Times, USA Today, Fox News’ Special Report, and all three network television news shows. Our estimates allow us to answer such questions as “Is the average article in the New York Times more liberal than the average speech by Tom Daschle?” or “Is the average story on Fox News more conservative than the average speech by Bill Frist?” To compute our measure, we count the times that a media outlet cites various think tanks and other policy groups. We compare this with the times that members of Congress cite the same think tanks in their speeches on the floor of the House and Senate. By comparing the citation patterns we construct an ADA score. As a simplified example, imagine that there were only two think tanks, one liberal and one conservative. Suppose that the New York Times cited the liberal think tank twice as often as the conservative one. Our method asks: What is the typical ADA score of members of Congress who exhibit the same frequency (2:1) in their speeches? This is the score that we would assign to the New York Times. Our results show a strong liberal bias. All of the news outlets except Fox News’ Special Report and the Washington Times received a score to the left of the average member of Congress. Consistent with many conservative critics, CBS Evening News and the New York Times received a score far left of center. Outlets such as the Washington Post, USA Today, NPR’s Morning Edition, NBC’s Nightly News and ABC’s World News Tonight were moderately left. The most centrist outlets (but still left-leaning) by our measure were the Newshour with Jim Lehrer, CNN’s NewsNight with Aaron Brown, and ABC’s Good Morning America. Fox News’ Special Report, while right of center, was closer to the center than any of the three major networks’ evening news broadcasts. All of our findings refer strictly to the news stories of the outlets. That is, we omitted editorials, book reviews, and letters to the editor from our sample.

A Measure of Media Bias

Meister, I looked at your link, sorry, I'm much more into the Colts v. Ravens to read that much. Post the executive summary, please.
unable to multitask?????

i'm watching that game as well and I can keep up

i guess you are not as good as you like to claim for yourself

You prove how ignorant you are, everytime you post. Consider, my words, not your spin. I wrote, "Bush was a tool of the far right"; maybe you're not ignorant, maybe a liar is a more accurate assessment. Of course, Bush is far right in terms of his appointments, consider how many in his administration attended Regency Law School.

btw, the name of the school you are refering to isnt "regency" its REGENT UNIVERSITY

and just because someone is "Christian" it doesnt mean they are "far right" or even "right" at all

Well at least he cited UC as a great education institution, so maybe he'll accept UCLA as a credible source even though he already has said he won't read the summary of the study. :)
i'm just tired of arrogant pricks such as him trying to proclaim themselves so intellectually superior to those they disagree with on politics yet display a complete lack of knowledge of that same subject

A Measure of Media Bias

Meister, I looked at your link, sorry, I'm much more into the Colts v. Ravens to read that much. Post the executive summary, please.

That was the executive summary. Just look at how in depth the link gets.

The fact that you lie does not escape anyone. I said, I'm more into the game than reading a study. Since you're not very bright, I'm sure you don't 'get' what an executive summary provides.
You're correct, it's not Regency University - but a fourth tier law school by any name is still a fourth tier law school.

Last edited:

A Measure of Media Bias

Really? I've read many executive summaries, most come with bullet points, references to pages, points and authorities, and are never (in my experience) one paragraph.

Really? I've read many executive summaries, most come with bullet points, references to pages, points and authorities, and are never (in my experience) one paragraph.
Well then you pompous ass, your just going to have to do your own reading, and not have me do it for you. I provided the link to the study. You may not want to read it, because it blows your assumption right out of the water.
In fact, that may be the reason you haven't read it.

The fact that you lie does not escape anyone. I said, I'm more into the game than reading a study. Since you're not very bright, I'm sure you don't 'get' what an executive summary provides.
You're correct, it's not Regency University - but a fourth tier law school by any name is still a fourth tier law school.
the only "LIAR" here, is YOU

Well then you pompous ass, your just going to have to do your own reading, and not have me do it for you. I provided the link to the study. You may not want to read it, because it blows your assumption right out of the water.
you got that right, he IS a pompous ass

To compute our measure, we count the times that a media outlet cites various think tanks and other policy groups.

A Measure of Media Bias
That has to be the STUPIDEST "study" in history. Determining bias by the "think tanks" cited. First of all, the vast majority of the 50 think tanks, over 30, were CON$ervative to begin with, another 10 or so were moderate and just a handful could be called Liberal.

And this is how the CON$ claim Liberal bias, they call anyone more moderate than the most extreme Right Wing whackos a "Liberal." You can see it when they try to pass Bush off as Liberal. There is not a Liberal bone in Bush's worthless body. CON$ even try to pass LBJ or Hubert Humphrey off as Libs. The Libs HATED LBJ and HHH. The real Liberal back then was Eugene McCarthy!!!!!

There are no Libs in media. The last true Libs in media were the Smothers Brothers, who were kicked off the air by "LIBERAL" CBS to curry favor with Nixon, another president the CON$ try to pass off as "Liberal." The Smothers Bros crucified LBJ over Vietnam every week but he did nothing to them. When Nixon became president and they then went after him, he got them kicked off the air and blackballed from TV.
So much for Free Speech GOP style.

To compute our measure, we count the times that a media outlet cites various think tanks and other policy groups.

A Measure of Media Bias
That has to be the STUPIDEST "study" in history. Determining bias by the "think tanks" cited. First of all, the vast majority of the 50 think tanks, over 30, were CON$ervative to begin with, another 10 or so were moderate and just a handful could be called Liberal.

And this is how the CON$ claim Liberal bias, they call anyone more moderate than the most extreme Right Wing whackos a "Liberal." You can see it when they try to pass Bush off as Liberal. There is not a Liberal bone in Bush's worthless body. CON$ even try to pass LBJ or Hubert Humphrey off as Libs. The Libs HATED LBJ and HHH. The real Liberal back then was Eugene McCarthy!!!!!

There are no Libs in media. The last true Libs in media were the Smothers Brothers, who were kicked off the air by "LIBERAL" CBS to curry favor with Nixon, another president the CON$ try to pass off as "Liberal." The Smothers Bros crucified LBJ over Vietnam every week but he did nothing to them. When Nixon became president and they then went after him, he got them kicked off the air and blackballed from TV.

The town idiot speaks, thanks for your input, Phyllis

A Measure of Media Bias

The town idiot speaks, thanks for your input, Phyllis

:lol:

I suppose we should pass his opinion on to UCLA and all the pretty smart PhD types who have cited it since it came out. I'm sure they will immediately recant, retract, and apologize to the entire media world who haven't been able to discredit it yet. :)

A Measure of Media Bias

yeah, that bastion of conservative thought, UCLA

this is why most everyone thinks you're a fucking IDIOT

As always you take things out of context or exclude key components, Phyllis.

To compute our measure, we count the times that a media outlet cites various think tanks and other policy groups.[1] We compare this with the times that members of Congress cite the same think tanks in their speeches on the floor of the House and Senate. By comparing the citation patterns we can construct an ADA score for each media outlet.

As a simplified example, imagine that there were only two think tanks, one liberal and one conservative. Suppose that the New York Times cited the liberal think tank twice as often as the conservative one. Our method asks: What is the estimated ADA score of a member of Congress who exhibits the same frequency (2:1) in his or her speeches? This is the score that our method would assign the New York Times.

A feature of our method is that it does not require us to make a subjective assessment of how liberal or conservative a think tank is. That is, for instance, we do we need to read policy reports of the think tank or analyze its position on various issues to determine its ideology. Instead, we simply observe the ADA scores of the members of Congress who cite the think tank. This feature is important, since an active controversy exists whether, e.g., the Brookings Institution or the RAND Corporation is moderate, left-wing, or right-wing.

A Measure of Media Bias

Last edited:

Wrong again, Ind 17, Balt. 3. That's what my pompus ass is doing.
Listen Miester, you and the other clowns on the right are poorly educated, willfully ignorant, and obnoxious. The problem with Limbaugh, et al, is that you and the other members of the conservative chic, are too lazy to think critically (even if you were able) and parrot his bull shit as if it had validity. The fact is, it is all emotion; hence, the hysteria of you and your partners.
And now, back to the game.

Listen Miester, you and the other clowns on the right are poorly educated, willfully ignorant, and obnoxious. The problem with Limbaugh, et al, is that you and the other members of the conservative chic, are too lazy to think critically (even if you were able) and parrot his bull shit as if it had validity. The fact is, it is all emotion; hence, the hysteria of you and your partners.
proof you ARE a pompous ass

besides, its 20-3 right now

Last edited:

Wow....does Wry know that all he did with all those words was deflect?

I guess he told us....but not a peep about the liberal main stream media bias....go figure.
I bet he doesn't even know that I don't listen to Rush.
I think this is about the time he will spout off on how wealthy he is.

A Measure of Media Bias

yeah, that bastion of conservative thought, UCLA

this is why most everyone thinks you're a fucking IDIOT
Hey Dumbo, it was not a UCLA study! It was ONE Poly Sci professor from UCLA and one from the U of Missouri who was actually an economist.

proof you ARE a pompous ass

besides, its 20-3 right now
Wow, your right. Now, tell us what the final score will be, that's seems to be what you clowns on the right do, predict the future.

Forum List

Back