Why Is It Hard to make a good Comedy?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
It's rare to find a good comedy. I can't think of any I have really liked in the last 5-10 years.

Why is it so hard to make and/or find a good comedy?

It's rare to find a good comedy. I can't think of any I have really liked in the last 5-10 years.

Seth Meyers on late-late night is really funny.

Jay Leno was really funny but he's gone and his broke d!ck replacement yuppie millennial is not funny.

Studios, producers and even directors have the reputation of often ruining a good premise. Too often comedies tend to be predictable, infantile or repetitive in the type of humor or gags used.

Too many movies also fail to "remain in character" by trying to offer a message or taking themselves too seriously. There were some great screwball comedies in the 40's that all had one thing in common, they were well written and seemed effortless and even natural in their delivery, often because they remained in character. These are some of the contemporary movies that I feel started with a premise, set a tone and remained consistent throughout the movie:

Dr. Strangelove (1964) - dark humor

Paul (2011) - lighthearted

Airplane (1980) - over-the-top

Blind Date (1987) - relatable

Deadpool (2016) - irreverent

Naked Gun (1988) - built around one actor

Lately comedians and writers have felt a need to push personal views. While comedy in the past would cover political or social issues making fun of both sides without offending sensibilities. ...the last few years it has become more like an effort to push a politically correct view with a certain lecturing nastiness. Alienate people, lose your audience.
I thought Colbert was funny on Comedy Central...now he just seems bitter, on edge, and just sad.

Lack of creativity. Hollywood gets stuck on formulas and they rarely leave it behind. Secondly there are too many people involved that have the ability to deviate from the original script for whatever reason (producers etc.). Third, they attempt to target too many audiences at once. That is for all genres. Finally, somebody somewhere is standing right there to be offended.

There is no duplicating a Mel Brooks film. Blazing Saddles would not get made in 2017. Hell, Mad TV would not be done in 2017. There were skits on In Living Color that would not be done today.

Too much PC and agenda-pushing to be funny.

Cheech n Chong, Mel Brooks, Richard Pryor, Dice Clay, would all not be allowed in Hollywood today.

Last edited:
Too much PC and agenda-pushing to be funny.

Cheech n Chong, Mel Brooks, Richard Pryor, Dice Clay, would all not be allowed in Hollywood today.

Very true.

For example, transsexuals, or similar, use to be a great source for comedy, but try to tell a joke about a woman with "man hands" today.

Forum List

Back