🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why Is Mitt Romney So Incredibly Weird?

It is what they say when there is no gas in the tank.

Obama is about to go under like the Titanic.

It may very well have happened if you nominated a better candidate than Mitt. As it is, Obama is going to coast to an easy victory

Hopefully, in 2016 you will run some electable candidates

yeah sure Obama is going to coast to victory with 8.6 unemployment, gas at $5 a gallon, etc etc.
you all can dream though..
Romney hasn't even started showing what he will be to the people...that comes next

"Corporations are people my friend!" Says it all. Good luck with that.

It may very well have happened if you nominated a better candidate than Mitt. As it is, Obama is going to coast to an easy victory

yeah sure Obama is going to coast to victory with 8.6 unemployment, gas at $5 a gallon, etc etc.
Romney hasn't even started showing what he will be to the people...that comes next

Your dwelling on that says a lot. Demonizing corporations and not realizing that they're made up of people is not helpful. As long as Dems run on that, they're missing the boat.

Who cares, Lakhota? We've got a President now who's WONDERFUL with other people...the only problem is...HE CAN'T DO THE JOB HE WAS ELECTED TO DO!!!

So what would you rather have...a "stiff" President who's competant...or a "cool" President who's clueless.

1) You are were acting as if he were and as if you could speak for millions. You did and you won't.

2) You have accomplished nothing in life that allows you to do more than give your own opinion.

3) Your homophobic remarks reveal that you don't know what you are talking about, so you try to insult.

4) I think you are weird because you are so cheese-holed headed that you are an atheist.

5) Rather have a LDS, or a Buddhist, or a Hindu before having an atheist in office.

Just sayin.

1) More people are like me than are like Romney. Sorry. Demagraphically, I'm pretty much in the center on most issues.

2) Dude, since you don't know my real name, where I live or much about me, you are making assumptions...

3) I'm just noticing you have this really weird obession with Campbell, a guy I mostly ignore and so does everyone else. It's like... gay.

4) I'm an atheist because the imperical evidence tells me there's no magic sky man.

But Here's the test I offer to religionists. Meet me at the top of the Sears Tower. I'll throw you off. If God catches you on the way down, I will totally convert over to your religion.

I mean, that sounds like a totally fair test to me. (You know, other than the premeditated murder part.) If the God you pray to really cares about you, he'd certainly catch you on the way down for no other reason than to teach me a lesson.

Of course, none of you would ever do it, because you know God won't catch you. Then you spend a lot of time twisting your minds as to why he probably wouldn't catch you, other than facing the most logical one- he doesn't exist.

Your dwelling on that says a lot. Demonizing corporations and not realizing that they're made up of people is not helpful. As long as Dems run on that, they're missing the boat.

Why is it demonizing them to point out their bad behavior?

I think the fact Romney considers them "people" and somehow need an advocate in Washington (don't they pay lobbyists for that?) is kind of telling.

If you say so

It is what they say when there is no gas in the tank.

Obama is about to go under like the Titanic.

Hopefully the Dems will too. I think we may be looking at the first female major party nominee in 2016. Nikki Haley looks to be on the come. I could see Maria Cantwell from Washington throwing her hat into the ring as well if she wins this year vs. Baumgartner.

Hillary may run in 2016 as well but something tells me she won't get the nomination. Like Romney, she has a likability problem which is a shame. Unlike Romney, she would have been a very good President in my view.

I think the fact Romney considers them "people" and somehow need an advocate in Washington (don't they pay lobbyists for that?) is kind of telling.

Romney recognizes that corporations are composed of people.

I'm sure you do too, in spite of your protestations.

What point - other than political posturing - is there for pretending that corporations are not made up of people?

Corporations are people. Unions are people. Parties are people. We're all people. Demonizing each other is getting us nowhere.

Because he works hard, a self-made man, cherish family, raised 5 amazing kids, made millions off of small business ingenuity and he is a compassionate Christian who is faithful to his wife, children and country.

To communist, lazy, unsuccessful atheist like you, of course his love of family, country and hard-work would seem weird!

Salon / By Alex Pareene

Everything you need to know about Willard Mitt Romney. An excerpt from Salon's new e-book, "The Rude Guide to Mitt"

The following is an excerpt from Alex Pareene’s new e-book for Salon, “The Rude Guide to Mitt.” It can be purchased at Amazon, Barnes & Noble and the Sony Reader Store.

Mitt Romney is weird. When the Obama reelection campaign early in the cycle made the mistake of indicating that its strategy would be to imply that Mitt Romney is weird by repeatedly telling Politico that it planned on calling Mitt Romney weird, Romney’s camp countered by causing a brief and not particularly sincere media brouhaha over whether “weird” is code for “Mormon.” Plenty of Americans think Mormons are weird, yes, but in this case, the simple fact is Mitt Romney is weird, entirely apart from his religion.

He seems incapable of natural conversation and frequently uncomfortable in his own skin. He’s simultaneously dorkily earnest and ingratiatingly insincere. He suggests a brilliantly designed politician android with an operating system still clearly in beta. He once tied a dog to the roof of his car and drove for hundreds of miles without stopping and some years later thought that was an endearing story. All video of him attempting to interact with normal humans is cringe-inducing, as a cursory YouTube search quickly demonstrates. (Martin Luther King Day, Jacksonville, Fla., 2008: Mitt poses for a picture with some cheerful young parade attendees. As he squeezes in to the otherwise all-black group, he says, apropros of nothing, “Who let the dogs out? Woof, woof!”) He seems to have been told that “small talk” is mostly made up of cheerfully delivered non sequiturs.

Much More: Why Is Mitt Romney So Incredibly Weird? | Tea Party and the Right | AlterNet

Romney recognizes that corporations are composed of people.

I'm sure you do too, in spite of your protestations.

What point - other than political posturing - is there for pretending that corporations are not made up of people?

Corporations are people. Unions are people. Parties are people. We're all people. Demonizing each other is getting us nowhere.

The people who run corporations don't have the same interests as the people who work for them.

Like my company just beat back a hostile takeover attempt, and they thought that was the greatest thing ever. They immediately celebrated by firing 10% of us.

The thing about Romney is he isn't on the side of the 10% who got fired, he's on the side of the stockholders.

Having worked for a few corporations since leaving the Army in 1992, they are the last people I'd want running the country.

Because he works hard, a self-made man, cherish family, raised 5 amazing kids, made millions off of small business ingenuity and he is a compassionate Christian who is faithful to his wife, children and country.

To communist, lazy, unsuccessful atheist like you, of course his love of family, country and hard-work would seem weird!

]

Wow. So much to put in there.

He wasn't a "self-made" man. (Actually no one is.) He was born into wealth, had connections and oppurtunities that the rest of us didn't have. It's not that impressive.

He didn't make money off "small business" ingenuity. He used his wealth to buy companies, manipulate their value, and then sell them to other people at a profit. In most cases, this involved laying people off, running companies into debt and leaving other people holding the bag.

As far as being "faithful" to his country, why didn't he serve in the military when his country was at war? Why didn't any of his kids serve in the war we've been fighting for a decade.

McCain served, and McCain, Biden and Palin all sent kids off to the war.

I mean, I know you guys desperately want to find something likable in this guy... but.

Something I saw that I was unaware of:

Mitt Romney and Ann: the students “struggling” so much that they had to sell stock.

by Andrew Sabl
Mitt Romney is going around saying that he made all his money himself, aside from a loan from his dad to buy his first house.

Journalists who buy that have short memories. I was living in Massachusetts when Romney first ran for the Senate, and remembered this interview with Ann Romney in the Boston Globe (by Jack Thomas, October 20, 1994; the abstract is here; the full text costs $4.95). Of her student days with Mitt at BYU, Ann said:

“They were not easy years. You have to understand, I was raised in a lovely neighborhood, as was Mitt, and at BYU, we moved into a $62-a-month basement apartment with a cement floor and lived there two years as students with no income.

“It was tiny. And I didn’t have money to carpet the floor. But you can get remnants, samples, so I glued them together, all different colors. It looked awful, but it was carpeting.

“We were happy, studying hard. Neither one of us had a job, because Mitt had enough of an investment from stock that we could sell off a little at a time.

“The stock came from Mitt’s father. When he took over American Motors, the stock was worth nothing. But he invested Mitt’s birthday money year to year — it wasn’t much, a few thousand, but he put it into American Motors because he believed in himself. Five years later, stock that had been $6 a share was $96 and Mitt cashed it so we could live and pay for education.

“Mitt and I walked to class together, shared housekeeping, had a lot of pasta and tuna fish and learned hard lessons.

…

“We had our first child in that tiny apartment. We couldn’t afford a desk, so we used a door propped on sawhorses in our bedroom. It was a big door, so we could study on it together. And we bought a portable crib, took the legs off and put it on the desk while we studied. I had a baby sitter during class time, but otherwise, I’d hold my son on my lap while I studied.

“The funny thing is that I never expected help. My father had become wealthy through hard work, as did Mitt’s father, but I never expected our parents to take care of us. They’d visit, laugh and say, `We can’t believe you guys are living like this.’ They’d take us out to dinner, have a good time, then leave.

“We stayed till Mitt graduated in 1971, and when he was accepted at Harvard Law, we came east. He was also accepted at Harvard Business School as part of a joint program that admits 25 a year, so he was getting degrees from Harvard Law and Business schools at the same time.

“Remember, we’d been paying $62 a month rent, but here, rents were $400, and for a dump. This is when we took the now-famous loan that Mitt talks about from his father and bought a $42,000 home in Belmont, and you know? The mortgage payment was less than rent. Mitt saw that the Boston market was behind Chicago, LA and New York. We stayed there seven years and sold it for $90,000, so we not only stayed for free, we made money. As I said, Mitt’s very bright.

“Another son came along 18 months later, although we waited four years to have the third, because Mitt was still in school and we had no income except the stock we were chipping away at. We were living on the edge, not entertaining. No, I did not work. Mitt thought it was important for me to stay home with the children, and I was delighted.

“Right after Mitt graduated in 1975, we had our third boy and it was about the time Mitt’s first paycheck came along. So, we were married a long time before we had any income, about five years as struggling students. …

“Now, every once in a while, we say if things get rough, we can go back to a $62-a-month apartment and be happy. All we need is each other and a little corner and we’ll be fine.”

Ann was widely mocked for this at the time. I don’t dissent from the mockery. Her idea of her and Mitt facing “not easy years,” having “no income,” “living on the edge” as “struggling students,” was that the couple had had to face college with only sale of stock to sustain them. By Ann’s own account, the stock amounted to “a few thousand” dollars when bought, but it had gone up by a factor of sixteen. So let’s conservatively say that they got through five years as students—neither one of them working—only by “chipping away at” assets of $60,000 in 1969 dollars (about $377,000 today).

Look. I don’t begrudge Romney’s having had his college tuition and living expenses paid for with family money. Mine were too. My background, though not as fancy as Mitt or Ann Romney’s, was privileged enough. But the guy should just come out and admit it: “I was a child of privilege and have my parents’ wealth to thank for my education. That said, I worked very very hard in business, and the vast majority of my fortune I earned myself.”

But there is of course a reason he can’t say that: such a statement is customarily followed by an expression of gratitude and a willingness to give something back to society. And gratitude and a willingness to give something back are precisely what Romney lacks—in common with the party he’s aspiring to represent.

Mitt Romney and Ann: the students “struggling” so much that they had to sell stock. « The Reality-Based Community

Pretty much why he's not being embraced.

1) Demographically, JoeB is unlike most Americans; he is an atheist and a far lefty,

2) Sure, I can make assumptions, and 'sides, you always do that about anyone who disagrees with you.

3) I am noticing that you obsess with people who suspect you, with good evidence, of using various monikers.

4) You are an atheist because you believe in the superstition that because you can't prove God's existence then He must not exist. Silly fools.

Your suggestion of a "test" reveals why you do not understand deity or religion, which is your right.

Mitt Romney and Ann: the students “struggling” so much that they had to sell stock.

by Andrew Sabl
Mitt Romney is going around saying that he made all his money himself, aside from a loan from his dad to buy his first house.

Journalists who buy that have short memories. I was living in Massachusetts when Romney first ran for the Senate, and remembered this interview with Ann Romney in the Boston Globe (by Jack Thomas, October 20, 1994; the abstract is here; the full text costs $4.95). Of her student days with Mitt at BYU, Ann said:

“They were not easy years. You have to understand, I was raised in a lovely neighborhood, as was Mitt, and at BYU, we moved into a $62-a-month basement apartment with a cement floor and lived there two years as students with no income.

“It was tiny. And I didn’t have money to carpet the floor. But you can get remnants, samples, so I glued them together, all different colors. It looked awful, but it was carpeting.

“We were happy, studying hard. Neither one of us had a job, because Mitt had enough of an investment from stock that we could sell off a little at a time.

“The stock came from Mitt’s father. When he took over American Motors, the stock was worth nothing. But he invested Mitt’s birthday money year to year — it wasn’t much, a few thousand, but he put it into American Motors because he believed in himself. Five years later, stock that had been $6 a share was $96 and Mitt cashed it so we could live and pay for education.

“Mitt and I walked to class together, shared housekeeping, had a lot of pasta and tuna fish and learned hard lessons.

…

“We had our first child in that tiny apartment. We couldn’t afford a desk, so we used a door propped on sawhorses in our bedroom. It was a big door, so we could study on it together. And we bought a portable crib, took the legs off and put it on the desk while we studied. I had a baby sitter during class time, but otherwise, I’d hold my son on my lap while I studied.

“The funny thing is that I never expected help. My father had become wealthy through hard work, as did Mitt’s father, but I never expected our parents to take care of us. They’d visit, laugh and say, `We can’t believe you guys are living like this.’ They’d take us out to dinner, have a good time, then leave.

“We stayed till Mitt graduated in 1971, and when he was accepted at Harvard Law, we came east. He was also accepted at Harvard Business School as part of a joint program that admits 25 a year, so he was getting degrees from Harvard Law and Business schools at the same time.

“Remember, we’d been paying $62 a month rent, but here, rents were $400, and for a dump. This is when we took the now-famous loan that Mitt talks about from his father and bought a $42,000 home in Belmont, and you know? The mortgage payment was less than rent. Mitt saw that the Boston market was behind Chicago, LA and New York. We stayed there seven years and sold it for $90,000, so we not only stayed for free, we made money. As I said, Mitt’s very bright.

“Another son came along 18 months later, although we waited four years to have the third, because Mitt was still in school and we had no income except the stock we were chipping away at. We were living on the edge, not entertaining. No, I did not work. Mitt thought it was important for me to stay home with the children, and I was delighted.

“Right after Mitt graduated in 1975, we had our third boy and it was about the time Mitt’s first paycheck came along. So, we were married a long time before we had any income, about five years as struggling students. …

“Now, every once in a while, we say if things get rough, we can go back to a $62-a-month apartment and be happy. All we need is each other and a little corner and we’ll be fine.”

Ann was widely mocked for this at the time. I don’t dissent from the mockery. Her idea of her and Mitt facing “not easy years,” having “no income,” “living on the edge” as “struggling students,” was that the couple had had to face college with only sale of stock to sustain them. By Ann’s own account, the stock amounted to “a few thousand” dollars when bought, but it had gone up by a factor of sixteen. So let’s conservatively say that they got through five years as students—neither one of them working—only by “chipping away at” assets of $60,000 in 1969 dollars (about $377,000 today).

Look. I don’t begrudge Romney’s having had his college tuition and living expenses paid for with family money. Mine were too. My background, though not as fancy as Mitt or Ann Romney’s, was privileged enough. But the guy should just come out and admit it: “I was a child of privilege and have my parents’ wealth to thank for my education. That said, I worked very very hard in business, and the vast majority of my fortune I earned myself.”

But there is of course a reason he can’t say that: such a statement is customarily followed by an expression of gratitude and a willingness to give something back to society. And gratitude and a willingness to give something back are precisely what Romney lacks—in common with the party he’s aspiring to represent.

Mitt Romney and Ann: the students “struggling” so much that they had to sell stock. « The Reality-Based Community

man that was a nice little hateful piece..pass the barf bag

Last edited:

by Andrew Sabl

…

1) Demographically, JoeB is unlike most Americans; he is an atheist and a far lefty,

2) Sure, I can make assumptions, and 'sides, you always do that about anyone who disagrees with you.

3) I am noticing that you obsess with people who suspect you, with good evidence, of using various monikers.

4) You are an atheist because you believe in the superstition that because you can't prove God's existence then He must not exist. Silly fools.

Your suggestion of a "test" reveals why you do not understand deity or religion, which is your right.

1) Um, I am an atheist, but politically, we are probably about the same. The only difference is my hatred for Romney trumps anything else. If hte GOP had nominated Perry or Gingrich, you'd be voting for Obama this time and you'd know it.

2) YOu can make assumptions, and be laughably wrong. I make them with good solid analysis.

3) I find it amusing that people think I'm more than one person here. Also kind of laughable. It just shows your level of butthurt.

4) Ummm, guy, by the logic you just stated here, you must also believe in unicorns, sea dragons, ghosts, UFO's, and Santa Claus. I mean, by that logic, just because you can't prove they exist must mean they exist. or something.

I understand religion perfectly well. It's people claiming moral authority they don't have by claiming to speak for a being who doesn't exist. Why so many of you still go along with it is the question. So of course, the "test" is scary to you, because not a one of you could pass it, ever.

I think people should start digging into the Obama's PERSONAL finances and write nice little articles about it like the one from some site called, samefacts

1) Um, you being an atheist means you are a fool, which means we are nothing alike.

2) You are a poor analyst. Cognitive functioning is taxing for you.

3) Deny moniker use all you want, folks believe differently.

4) This is why you demonstrate you have very little cognitive function,

You claim moral authority to judge others. That's hypocrisy, sonny.

Not even close, but I can see the left thinking that way.

Wealth envy has many ugly sides to it.

Forum List

Back