Why our kids aren't learning, imo.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Our kids aren't learning as well as they should because they aren't taught how to learn, imo. I have acted in several plays in my life, which required memorizing pages of dialogue, not only my own but that of other players as well. Intense concentration is required for this, no distractions. I would secrete myself in a quiet place and focus all my attention on my lines and through repeated reading and memorizing I was able to go on and add the other needed vocal elements to my character's role. This was only possible by removing all distractions from my study so there was left only my brain and the material to be learned.

Today our kids are expected to do the nearly impossible, to learn amidst so many distractions that we might as well be poking them with sharp stick while they attempt to study.

I don't think it's a matter of kids not learning. They are learning plenty. They are simply not learning what their Boomer grandparents expect them to be learning. But when their Boomer grandparents want to resolve an issue with their "devices," whom do they call?

I graduated high school in 2000. Standardized testing was all the rage. I remember several sessions where our teachers had to take the day to prepare us for the upcoming standardized tests. We were essentially learning how to memorize things, but not really retain it.

It's because they stopped teaching via Critical Thinking/Socratic method and started teaching using Critical Theory.

Critical Theory is pretty much just conditioning. It's very dangerous and teaches not to think and simply react

to predetermined stimuli in a predetermined manner. A one word for it would be GIGO.

I don't think it's a matter of kids not learning. They are learning plenty. They are simply not learning what their Boomer grandparents expect them to be learning. But when their Boomer grandparents want to resolve an issue with their "devices," whom do they call?
Imagine kids 'studying' with one eye on their assignment and the other on their smartphone. Ironic how a 'smart' phone can contribute to one's failure to learn.

All I remember of school back in the seventies, was that it was boring and repetitive.
Young guys aren't designed to sit in confined indoor spaces and be expected to concentrate in a building that resembles a county workhouse.

All I remember of school back in the seventies, was that it was boring and repetitive.
Young guys aren't designed to sit in confined indoor spaces and be expected to concentrate in a building that resembles a county workhouse.
It was that way in the '40's and '50's as well. In my liberal, over-educated city if you opted for trade school (at 16 with parents' permission) you were considered a failure.

Forum List

Back