Why Right Wing Is Petrified of Letting Voters, Not Electoral College, Pick Presidents

Status
Not open for further replies.
I trust my observations more than your bullshit fantasy.

Uh huh.....so you are suggesting that universities are not dominated by liberal instructors, liberal administrators, and a liberal agenda? I assume you got your GED and left it at that.
No university I attended was dominated by Libs, and as a Physicist, I suspect I'm much better educated than you could ever hope to be.

Why does merely being a physicist mean you are "much better educated than (he) could ever hope to be"?

The way I understand it, individual states would vote to change their election laws to award their electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote. Legal as can be and does not touch The Constitution.

Unless they have actually done that, the claim is bullshit. Any state that does do it is just diluting its influence on the national election. It's not in the best interests of any state to do it. Therefore, it will never happen.

Well it's perfectly legal and constitutional. Every state has the right to determine for themselves how they designate their delegates. But if you go by popular vote the power will go to major cities and that favors the Democrats...hence the reason why they favor it. If you go proportional by counties or congressional districts the Democrats will never win a presidential election again....hence the reason why they oppose that.

The simple fact though is that what is good for a city is not always good for rural America. What is good for Florida is not always good for Kansas. What is good for California is not always good for Idaho. The system was designed to balance everything and ensure that everyone's interests have influence but don't have dominance. Is it perfect? No. I live in Oregon and can attest to that. The entire state is extremely conservative except for Portland and Eugene which are ridiculously liberal....but those two cities dominate state politics and Oregon's influence in federal government because of their population compared to the rest of the state.

So no it's not perfect but it's better than the alternative of allowing states with major cities to control policy at the expense of rural America

You, like most people, never read the Constitution.

Article 1 section 10 Clause 3.

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of peacehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peacetime, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in Warhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

Try reading this....

us-constitution-01a.gif

Apparently, the GOP still considers the population to be too uneducated and stupid to choose a President.... which WAS THE REASON for the Electoral College to begin with. Most people couldn't even read back then.

I consider the average American to be too uneducated and stupid to understand politics and therefore be too ignorant to cast an educated vote and I am a college professor. Most American's don't even understand enough about their own system of government to know what branch of government has what authorities. If you asked 100 random people on the street what Solyndra, Fast and Furious, and Cap and Trade refers to I would bet that 5% could explain all of them, 10% could explain two of them, and 20% could explain one of them.

Coming from a person that hasn't actually read the Constitution of the United States of America that is pretty funny.

What does "it has half the states it needs" mean? They are willing to approve a Constitutional Amendment? What?

The way I understand it, individual states would vote to change their election laws to award their electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote. Legal as can be and does not touch The Constitution.

You think states should award their votes based on what the voters of other states do? How does disenfranchising a large chunk of the voters make things better? Do you have any idea how many times the electoral college vote was different than the actual popular vote?

It abuses the fuck out of citizens, how can Progressives not favor it?

Uh huh.....so you are suggesting that universities are not dominated by liberal instructors, liberal administrators, and a liberal agenda? I assume you got your GED and left it at that.
No university I attended was dominated by Libs, and as a Physicist, I suspect I'm much better educated than you could ever hope to be.

Suspicions can be very...very...VERY dangerous things, my friend. On top of which, as a university professor I wouldn't pound my chest too strongly about education. You run into someone that knows when you're simply talking a line of bullshit and you'll end up pounding something but it won't be your chest.
More projection! :eusa_whistle:

The Republicans are frantically trying to suppress the black vote with voter ID laws, and swamp the system with tens of millions in Super PAC money, they know the Dems can't match.

Republicans hate democracy.

The Republicans are frantically trying to suppress the black vote with voter ID laws, and swamp the system with tens of millions in Super PAC money, they know the Dems can't match.

We like republics.

And what about all the bragging the dems do about how the blue states are richer than red states. What gives ?

Chris hates the Constitution, then again, he's seems totally unfamiliar with it

Up until today the Democrats and the Republicans are pretty even on fund raising. I expect that will change now that Obama has embraced Super PACS, you guys will have more money again real soon.

Why does merely being a physicist mean you are "much better educated than (he) could ever hope to be"?
Because Physics is easily the most difficult and demanding of all educational pursuits. Only a very select few can master physics.

You want to do away with the EC? You have any idea what the results would be?

Just think Florida 2000 on a national scale. Every precinct in every state counting and recounting votes. Votes being manufactured all over the place. Fraud. Corruption. Complete manipulation of the elections. Total Chaos.

Follow that with fighting in the streets and civil war.

omg - a nationwide recount - what a nightmare that would be

So, if it's purely by popular vote, who'd give a crap about the people who don't live in the big city?

Anyone running would be foolish to ignore issues important to rural voters. Cities would still be progressive and the countryside would still be predominantly conservative - I don't see how this change would affect that at all.

For the record, I don't think conservatives are 'scared' or whatever the OP said, but if enough states jumped on this it would truly revolutionize the process. Candidates would have to play defense in their former strongholds, which would now be irrelevant. A few thousand votes is a few thousand votes, whether they come from Cali or Texas.

I think it might be interesting, but I feel like it's likely to infuse even more $$ into the process.

Last edited:
the image below is precisely why liberals want to consolidate election power in major cities instead of observing the balance between rural and urban America Lakhota.

What "balance" would that be? Are we supposed to believe "one acre, one vote" is as valid as "one man, one vote"?

Uh one man one vote was piece of crap pushed on us by the dishonorable Earl Warren.

May he rot in hell.

It was actually closer to the first from what I recall.

Because Physics is easily the most difficult and demanding of all educational pursuits. Only a very select few can master physics.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skQGve3XksU]Sheldon, Bazinga in ball pit - YouTube[/ame]

Up until today the Democrats and the Republicans are pretty even on fund raising. I expect that will change now that Obama has embraced Super PACS, you guys will have more money again real soon.

Wrong.

The Koch brothers are assembling a large group of corporate donors that will give over one million dollars each. Dems can't match that.

Citizens United will be the end of American democracy, if it is not overturned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back