Why sane people oppose background checks

If you don't want background checks that is what you are advocating.

We already have background check laws in place.

Really? You don't say?
Read the thread title.

I don't have too

ATF-FORM-4473-pg1.gif

Or does pointing out that this is happening prove I am paranoid?

The University of Iowa has been quietly sharing federally protected student information with Johnson County law enforcement officials who handle gun permit applications — an arrangement that one national organization calls a “license to snoop.”
The information includes some data on classroom achievement that by law can’t be considered by sheriffs when processing permit-to-carry applications and are normally protected from disclosure by the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
Mark Braun, chief of staff for U of I President Sally Mason, said that in some cases the information speaks to a student’s perceived status as a “troublemaker,” but could also include information on failing grades or signs of depression or anger.
“This is incredibly alarming,” said Justin Dedecker, a graduate student who sought a gun permit in 2011. “How does my performance in class become an indicator of my mental stability?”

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...gives-private-student-data-to-Johnson-sheriff

And yeah you are paranoid. They have already suspended this practice. That is thing about these sort of things. You guys make a big deal about it, and speak of the government intruding on your lives..........Well it would seem that same government is protecting your rights.

Once again most sane people don't oppose back ground checks. Hint HInt

We already have background check laws in place.

Really? You don't say?
Read the thread title.

Read the line following the thread title, and understand that the violation of people's privacy rights in the name of your new 'enhanced' background checks is not only abhorrent, it is ILLEGAL.

My new enhanced back ground check? I don't know what you are speaking of. I have not come up with a new enhanced back ground check.

But I bet you have no problem with employers doing the same sort of thing.

Really? You don't say?
Read the thread title.

Read the line following the thread title, and understand that the violation of people's privacy rights in the name of your new 'enhanced' background checks is not only abhorrent, it is ILLEGAL.

My new enhanced back ground check? I don't know what you are speaking of. I have not come up with a new enhanced back ground check.

You would lose that bet, dear...

Most liberals like me, and most gun owners pretty much just want to get rid of the gun show loopholes.
Own a gun, I don't care. Just submit to the back ground check that has been around for awhile and go on your way.

You would lose that bet, dear...
That's cool.

I bet you are still making assumptions about my point of view though...;)
QW does it all the time. According to him I want to regulate all guns and want abortions for all. It is actually quite funny to watch right wing gun nuts make assumptions about my views on guns.

Most liberals like me, and most gun owners pretty much just want to get rid of the gun show loopholes.
Own a gun, I don't care. Just submit to the back ground check that has been around for awhile and go on your way.

Do you think that criminals get their guns at gun shows? The people who submit to background checks are not the problem, criminals are the ones killing others with guns.

enforce the existing laws, get criminals off of our streets.

Harassing honest law abiding citizens will not stop the killing.

wake up ,

There is no such thing as a "gun show loophole". Where do you guys get this stuff, anyway?

All licensed gun dealers are REQUIRED to do a background check for EVERY weapon they sell, REGARDLESS of their location.

If you want PRIVATE CITIZENS to do background checks you're going to run up against restraint of trade issues.

There is no such thing as a "gun show loophole". Where do you guys get this stuff, anyway?

All licensed gun dealers are REQUIRED to do a background check for EVERY weapon they sell, REGARDLESS of their location.

If you want PRIVATE CITIZENS to do background checks you're going to run up against restraint of trade issues.

the libs are amazing on this topic. they actually think that two gang bangers in south central LA are going to run background checks when they sell a gun to each other--or trade one for a rock of crack.

is it possible that libs are as stupid as they seem to be?

Do you think that criminals get their guns at gun shows? The people who submit to background checks are not the problem, criminals are the ones killing others with guns.

wake up ,

What is it with you guys? The only thing I want to get rid of is the gun show loopholes.

And wake up? My brother was shot by a kid who stole a gun from one of his family member, so yes I understand that criminals obtain guns illegally. Your point?
That doesn't mean we should not have back ground checks. That is like saying employers shouldn't have back grounds checks because some people obtain a job illegally.

the libs are amazing on this topic. they actually think that two gang bangers in south central LA are going to run background checks when they sell a gun to each other--or trade one for a rock of crack.

Have you watched bullet fragments be taken out of someone's face?

Some of them, certainly. Some of them aren't really stupid, they're just badly misinformed.

wake up ,

What is it with you guys? The only thing I want to get rid of is the gun show loopholes.

And wake up? My brother was shot by a kid who stole a gun from one of his family member, so yes I understand that criminals obtain guns illegally. Your point?
That doesn't mean we should not have back ground checks. That is like saying employers shouldn't have back grounds checks because some people obtain a job illegally.

background checks are currently required in every state. But there is no way you can mandate background checks when someond sells or gives a gun to a friend or family member. It just cannot be done.

I'm sorry for your trauma, Luissa, but what proposed law would have stopped that kid from getting that gun and shooting your brother?

no, but I have seen them taken out of legs and guts. what's your point?

have you ever seen someone being sewed back together after a knife attack? or after a car wreck?

If you own a license to sell guns you have to back ground check, those you are not gun shop etc owners, who only sell at gun shows, and only sell occasionally and sell within their state they do not have to do back ground checks.................Hence the gun show loophole.

And restraint of trade? Yeah, okay. :eusa_hand:

wake up ,

background checks are currently required in every state. But there is no way you can mandate background checks when someond sells or gives a gun to a friend or family member. It just cannot be done.

Giving a gun to a friend is not selling guns at a gun show.

Forum List

Back