Why sane people oppose background checks

If everybody is so paraoid about the government doing background checks on people who buy guns, why are they not outraged that one can not be hired as a cop, or any other law enforcement person without a background check? In fact, why not be outraged at the privacy invasion of a background check done by the government on everyone that attempts to join the military?

the libs are amazing on this topic. they actually think that two gang bangers in south central LA are going to run background checks when they sell a gun to each other--or trade one for a rock of crack.

is it possible that libs are as stupid as they seem to be?

Have you watched bullet fragments be taken out of someone's face?

no, but I have seen them taken out of legs and guts. what's your point?

have you ever seen someone being sewed back together after a knife attack? or after a car wreck?

My point is dumb ass, that I know gang member obtain guns illegally. What does that have to do with having back ground checks?

If everybody is so paraoid about the government doing background checks on people who buy guns, why are they not outraged that one can not be hired as a cop, or any other law enforcement person without a background check? In fact, why not be outraged at the privacy invasion of a background check done by the government on everyone that attempts to join the military?

Shhhh! Don't be logical.

Shhhh! Don't be logical.

I often find myself visiting an alternative universe when I post on these boards. I just bowed out of a discussion in which two loonies maintan that the Supreme Court does not have the Constitutional power to declare a law as unconstitutional. If my 8th qrade Civics teacher heard this, she would be turning over in her grave. It is bad enough that I am going to have to contact Sesame Street and have them change their "Schoolhouse Rock" videos.....

What is it with you guys? The only thing I want to get rid of is the gun show loopholes.

And wake up? My brother was shot by a kid who stole a gun from one of his family member, so yes I understand that criminals obtain guns illegally. Your point?
That doesn't mean we should not have back ground checks. That is like saying employers shouldn't have back grounds checks because some people obtain a job illegally.

background checks are currently required in every state. But there is no way you can mandate background checks when someond sells or gives a gun to a friend or family member. It just cannot be done.

Giving a gun to a friend is not selling guns at a gun show.

Luissa, have you ever been to a gun show? I've been to dozens of them over the last 10 years and it is my experience that 90% or more of the sellers are FFL holders running background checks on EVERY sale. They probably account for 99% of the sales transacted at the show.

All this hullaballoo about UNIVERSAL background checks is nothing but the Trojan Horse that brings in universal REGISTRATION. It's none of the government's business how many guns I own, and it's none of their business what type of guns I own. It's the registration lists that make confiscation so easy, just ask those poor folks in NOLA after Katrina.

Some of them STILL haven't gotten their guns back.

Background checks are ALREADY being done, it's the effort to force private citizens to do them that is creating the problem.

"It's the registration lists that make confiscation so easy, just ask those poor folks in NOLA after Katrina."

I guess that means me, because I lived there, and believe me, I was poor by the time the flood receeded. Just to be sure, I just went and looked in my drawer, and, sure enough, my Colt 38 Special is still there!

background checks are currently required in every state. But there is no way you can mandate background checks when someond sells or gives a gun to a friend or family member. It just cannot be done.

Giving a gun to a friend is not selling guns at a gun show.

Luissa, have you ever been to a gun show? I've been to dozens of them over the last 10 years and it is my experience that 90% or more of the sellers are FFL holders running background checks on EVERY sale. They probably account for 99% of the sales transacted at the show.

All this hullaballoo about UNIVERSAL background checks is nothing but the Trojan Horse that brings in universal REGISTRATION. It's none of the government's business how many guns I own, and it's none of their business what type of guns I own. It's the registration lists that make confiscation so easy, just ask those poor folks in NOLA after Katrina.

Some of them STILL haven't gotten their guns back.

They can also easily find you for the FEMA camps

"It's the registration lists that make confiscation so easy, just ask those poor folks in NOLA after Katrina."

I guess that means me, because I lived there, and believe me, I was poor by the time the flood receeded. Just to be sure, I just went and looked in my drawer, and, sure enough, my Colt 38 Special is still there!

Dude don't even go there. There is way too much information on New Orleans gun confiscation and cops killing unarmed citizens of the city.

Most liberals like me, and most gun owners pretty much just want to get rid of the gun show loopholes.
Own a gun, I don't care. Just submit to the back ground check that has been around for awhile and go on your way.

There is no such thing as a "gun show loophole". Where do you guys get this stuff, anyway?

All licensed gun dealers are REQUIRED to do a background check for EVERY weapon they sell, REGARDLESS of their location.

If you want PRIVATE CITIZENS to do background checks you're going to run up against restraint of trade issues.

If you own a license to sell guns you have to back ground check, those you are not gun shop etc owners, who only sell at gun shows, and only sell occasionally and sell within their state they do not have to do back ground checks.................Hence the gun show loophole.

And restraint of trade? Yeah, okay. :eusa_hand:
Federal law
Q: What steps must be followed by an FFL prior to transferring a firearm subject to the requirements of the Brady law?
The following steps must be followed prior to transferring a firearm:

The licensee must have the transferee complete and sign ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction Record.
The licensee must verify the identity of the transferee through a government-issued photo identification.
The licensee must contact NICS through either the FBI or a State point of contact (POC). The licensee initially will get either a “proceed” or “delayed” response from NICS. If the licensee gets a “proceed” response, the firearm may be transferred if there is no additional State waiting period. If the licensee gets a “delayed response” it indicates the transaction is in “open” status and that more research is required prior to a NICS “proceed” or “denied” response. If the licensee gets a “delayed” response and there is no additional response from the FBI or POC, the licensee may transfer the firearm after 3 business days have elapsed. Of course, the licensee must still comply with any waiting period requirements under State law. FFLs contacting the FBI directly will receive information from the FBI indicating when the 3 business days time period elapses on “delayed” transactions.
ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Brady Law

The form I posted is the ATF 4473

There is no such thing as a "gun show loophole". Where do you guys get this stuff, anyway?

All licensed gun dealers are REQUIRED to do a background check for EVERY weapon they sell, REGARDLESS of their location.

If you want PRIVATE CITIZENS to do background checks you're going to run up against restraint of trade issues.

If you own a license to sell guns you have to back ground check, those you are not gun shop etc owners, who only sell at gun shows, and only sell occasionally and sell within their state they do not have to do back ground checks.................Hence the gun show loophole.

Federal law
Q: What steps must be followed by an FFL prior to transferring a firearm subject to the requirements of the Brady law?

The licensee must have the transferee complete and sign ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction Record.
The licensee must verify the identity of the transferee through a government-issued photo identification.
The licensee must contact NICS through either the FBI or a State point of contact (POC). The licensee initially will get either a “proceed” or “delayed” response from NICS. If the licensee gets a “proceed” response, the firearm may be transferred if there is no additional State waiting period. If the licensee gets a “delayed response” it indicates the transaction is in “open” status and that more research is required prior to a NICS “proceed” or “denied” response. If the licensee gets a “delayed” response and there is no additional response from the FBI or POC, the licensee may transfer the firearm after 3 business days have elapsed. Of course, the licensee must still comply with any waiting period requirements under State law. FFLs contacting the FBI directly will receive information from the FBI indicating when the 3 business days time period elapses on “delayed” transactions.

Your point?

Yup. Most, if nearly all Americans oppose making it legal for convicted criminals and certifiably mentally ill people to buy guns.

Here you embrace it.

Fucking moron.

Nice of you not to actually read my post or the article I linked to.

You posted, "Why sane people oppose background checks". So unless you're considering yourself "insane" you are lumping yourself in with morons, right?

I am counting myself among the people that believe that school grades have nothing to do with anything that a background check is supposed to be about. I am counting myself among the people that believe liberty trumps government. Finally, I am counting myself among the people that stand up for minorities.

You prefer to go along with the crowd because it hurts to think.

Most people agree with back ground checks. So I don't think there is a lot of sane people opposing them?
And yes I am sure what you posted would stand up in court. :cuckoo: so in reality do sane people oppose background checks? Not many.

You think the police should be able to call up the school, inform them you are applying for a gun license, and get your grades?

Most people agree with back ground checks. So I don't think there is a lot of sane people opposing them?
And yes I am sure what you posted would stand up in court. :cuckoo: so in reality do sane people oppose background checks? Not many.

You think the police should be able to call up the school, inform them you are applying for a gun license, and get your grades?

No.
Which would be apparent by my sarcastic statement. Which was backed up by the fact they suspended doing so due to privacy laws.

Yup. Most, if nearly all Americans oppose making it legal for convicted criminals and certifiably mentally ill people to buy guns.

Here you embrace it.

Fucking moron.

Are you really as stupid as your namesake?

No one is trying to "make(ing) it legal for convicted criminals and certifiably mentally ill people to buy guns."

That's the biggest damned bunch of bullshit shoveled this week.

You must've typed those last two words while looking in a mirror.

If you don't want background checks that is what you are advocating.

On the other hand, given the way the gun debate is going right now, wanting background checks means you want women to be defenseless and see them get raped.

Tell me something, which side do you want to be on?

Chase Hardin, a former student at the university, said he didn’t realize he was waiving privacy rights to his student records when he applied for a gun permit in March 2011. But, he said, he’s not troubled by that.

“I had no idea I was signing anything like that,” he said, “but does it concern me? No, I’d have to say I have no problem with them looking at grades and things like that. Gun permits are a serious thing, and I think they need to look at whatever information they can get.”

Exactly. From the OP link.

Or does pointing out that this is happening prove I am paranoid?

The University of Iowa has been quietly sharing federally protected student information with Johnson County law enforcement officials who handle gun permit applications — an arrangement that one national organization calls a “license to snoop.”
The information includes some data on classroom achievement that by law can’t be considered by sheriffs when processing permit-to-carry applications and are normally protected from disclosure by the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
Mark Braun, chief of staff for U of I President Sally Mason, said that in some cases the information speaks to a student’s perceived status as a “troublemaker,” but could also include information on failing grades or signs of depression or anger.
“This is incredibly alarming,” said Justin Dedecker, a graduate student who sought a gun permit in 2011. “How does my performance in class become an indicator of my mental stability?”
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...gives-private-student-data-to-Johnson-sheriff

And yeah you are paranoid. They have already suspended this practice. That is thing about these sort of things. You guys make a big deal about it, and speak of the government intruding on your lives..........Well it would seem that same government is protecting your rights.

Once again most sane people don't oppose back ground checks. Hint HInt

Let me get this straight, the government does something illegal, gets caught, and says they won't do it again, and that works for you?

Federal law

Your point?

If they are a FFL dealer regradless if they have a gun shop or not they must do a ATF 4473

Federal law

Your point?

If they are a FFL dealer regradless if they have a gun shop or not they must do a ATF 4473

Not all people who sell guns at gun shows have to do back ground Checks. Which has already been established.
You are kind of slow.

Forum List

Back