🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why should the poor not have to pay federal income tax

Did the 16th amendment void equal protection? Unless you can show me where it didn't, a progressive tax is unconstitutional.
The Supreme Court has recognized that nearly all legislation classifies on the basis of some criteria, bestowing benefits or imposing burdens on one group and denying them to another. The progressive income tax, welfare, tax incentives to businesses, disaster relief, and most other legislation penalizes some group while benefiting another. No, the 16th amendment did void the equal protection clause because it does not apply.

Could you show me how it doesn't apply? Or are you saying it only applies to the States?
The Fourteenth Amendment Equal Protection Clause applies only to state governments, but the requirement of equal protection has been read to apply to the federal government as a component of Fifth Amendment due process.

The text of the 16th amendment is "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

How can the Equal Protection Clause possibly apply to this amendment? The amendment only gives the federal government the power to levy taxes on income. It doesn't say anything about the structure of the tax or even require that it actually be levied. It just says the federal government can levy a tax on income.

You can't buy these things with food stamps stupid. You could with cash assistance but not food stamps.

You are right, but if you are letting the government buy your food, should you really be buying a case of beer?

how do you plan to stop them from drinking? Make it a law you can't? Not really making government smaller now is it?

Personally its a tough call, i understand both sides of this topic ( beer and cigs)

One hand i feel they shouldnt be wasting money on those things, on the other hand who am i to tell them they can't do these things?

i dont have this answer.

You have every right if you are footing the bill.

Forget all these notions of who should have to pay such and such taxes. It's irrelevant. Only thing that matters is that we need tax code that is EFFECTIVE.

Effective....Fair and just as well.
And above all BRIEF in content.
The US Tax Code is some 25,000 pages.
I once listened to a lengthy interview of an IRS spokesperson who stated the reason why the Tax Code is so long and complicated is to prevent cheating.
I thought that was one of the stupidest things a person suspected of reasonable intelligence could utter.

Hospitals have to cover costs to stay in business.

And therein lies the problem with the US health system. It's treated as a business...

Why do you go to work? Don't you work to earn money? Doctors, nurses administrators and janitors are all private citizens that work for the same reason.
If you put money in the bank, do you not expect to earn interest? Same goes for the people that build hospitals.

You can't buy these things with food stamps stupid. You could with cash assistance but not food stamps.

You are right, but if you are letting the government buy your food, should you really be buying a case of beer?

how do you plan to stop them from drinking? Make it a law you can't? Not really making government smaller now is it?

Personally its a tough call, i understand both sides of this topic ( beer and cigs)

One hand i feel they shouldnt be wasting money on those things, on the other hand who am i to tell them they can't do these things?

i dont have this answer.

You're (the taxpayer) the poor sonofabitch paying the bills. There! Now you have the answer, OK?

The Supreme Court has recognized that nearly all legislation classifies on the basis of some criteria, bestowing benefits or imposing burdens on one group and denying them to another. The progressive income tax, welfare, tax incentives to businesses, disaster relief, and most other legislation penalizes some group while benefiting another. No, the 16th amendment did void the equal protection clause because it does not apply.

Could you show me how it doesn't apply? Or are you saying it only applies to the States?
The Fourteenth Amendment Equal Protection Clause applies only to state governments, but the requirement of equal protection has been read to apply to the federal government as a component of Fifth Amendment due process.

The text of the 16th amendment is "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

How can the Equal Protection Clause possibly apply to this amendment? The amendment only gives the federal government the power to levy taxes on income. It doesn't say anything about the structure of the tax or even require that it actually be levied. It just says the federal government can levy a tax on income.

So you're saying the 16th says the government can tax people at different rated based on income level and the size of their families? Where in the amendment or elsewhere in the Constitution do you find justification for inequality of distribution? For punishing one class and rewarding another?

i heard one person it was costing them 8 grand a month to treat their cancer.
Can you afford 8 grand a month? Not many people can who tend to live paycheck to paycheck.
Yes I can, quite easily. Can you? Why not? Got an IPad? A flat screen? Car payments?

no i can't. I have the Tv and thats it. My car is currently sidelined and i just started a job thats pays jackshit pay wise.

I highly doubt you can afford it, but this is the internet, anything can be made up.

I'm 62, PB. I was a opto-mechanical engineer for most of my career and was a plumber until I retired. (lack of high tech positions in South Florida)
When my wife and I retired we gave away our home in Florida to a family (daughter and son in law of dear friends) that desperately needed a place to live, and paid cash for a house and property in Alabama. The sum total of my monthly bills are utilities and insurance on home, vehicles and farm equipment. My home, RV, boat, tractor and 3 motorcycles are all paid for. Only one motorcycle was financed and that I paid off a week after purchase from the proceeds of a real estate sale. I can afford it, son. Believe me, or not. Your choice.

She claims her husband wanted her to stay home and raise the kids, while he did his tour in the military ( which he is out now ), therefore she pays jackshit, and its actually only her husband who brings any money in.

So the reality is she lived off tax payer money in order to live while not actually paying anything into taxes, while her husband uses her for tax perks.

Thats if you believe anything she says.

You have a problem with a woman staying home and raising her kids? It's a family unit. Her husband served his country and his country paid him a wage. What he does with that wage is HIS business. He used her for tax perks? Yup he got a dependents exemption for her and the kids, much like you get for you, your wife and your child. Somehow this is wrong because they are Conservative?

i have zero problem with her staying at home. I have a 100% problem when said person comes out in public and and complains about other people paying no taxes, while she does nothing.

Its called not having any skin in the game. Her opinion has no weight because of this.
Her HUSBAND pays taxes. They are a FAMILY. She has all the skin in the game she needs.

All we hear from the left is have the rich pay more. Give more . GIMME Why cant the poor pay something. Even if its 120 dollars a year .. YOu cant say a person cant afford 10 dollars a month .. I am sure they are wasting more then that on other things like fast food, cigarettes, booze. How many times I have been behind someone paying with food stamps and have beer and cigs they are about to buy as well. But, if that wasnt bad enough they dont pay they get EIC as well so the rich people are paying them for nothing.

Stop trying to raise my taxes you fucking piece of shit. No i can't afford 10 bucks. Thats diapers for my kid, thats enough jars for a week for him to eat. Thats gas in my car in order to get to work.

You do nothing, you pay Zero and leech off your husband. You have zero room.

Why do you have children you cannot afford to raise?

Hospitals have to cover costs to stay in business.

And therein lies the problem with the US health system. It's treated as a business...

Why do you go to work? Don't you work to earn money? Doctors, nurses administrators and janitors are all private citizens that work for the same reason.
If you put money in the bank, do you not expect to earn interest? Same goes for the people that build hospitals.

Hospitals are considered a necessary service where I come from. Nobody minds paying taxes to keep them going. Private hospitals and health insurance make up a small part of our overall health system. Seems to work, too...

i dont have this answer.

It's simple, if the public (you and I) are forced to pay for their food and housing, we should damned sure be able to forbid them having cigarettes and booze. If they can't afford to support their brats, the public should be able to demand mandatory birth control, too.

Why should the poor not have to pay federal income tax

Let them die!

Most of the income tax goes to the pentagon, wars, and past wars.
In practice, ll of the revenue collected by the federal government goes to the general fund and comes out of the general fund. As such, nio particular dollar that is collected/spent can be said to go to any particular outlay.

Wait...wut? The OP doesn't pay taxes?

Fo' real?

She claims her husband wanted her to stay home and raise the kids, while he did his tour in the military ( which he is out now ), therefore she pays jackshit, and its actually only her husband who brings any money in.

So the reality is she lived off tax payer money in order to live while not actually paying anything into taxes, while her husband uses her for tax perks.

Thats if you believe anything she says.

You know, if more people took enough interest in how their children were raised, enough to stay home and tend to that task, maybe we wouldn't have so many selfish, maladjusted, psychopathic, sociopaths screaming about how they deserve what other people earn, how they deserve everything for doing nothing. Nah, if some parents decide to make a partnership of raising their children in such a way that they become decent humans, people like you are so quick to condemn them. That's a shame. Recalling better times, like the 40's and 50's, also recalls a time when mothers raised their children and fathers served as something more than sperm donors.

If all people are to be treated equal under the law, then no one can be charged a different tax rate than someone else.

Forum List

Back