'Why Study Philosophy'

If two people take a test on a subject or write a paper on a topic and get the exact same grade from the same professor could you tell which one spent 3 days a week in class and had regular chit chats with a teaching assistant and which one studied independently?

If I were familiar with the course and with each of the students and their work prior to taking the course? Sure. You don't really understand the question you asked, because you don't understand the first thing about really learning.

And by the way, trying to use phrases like "spending time" and "chit chat" as diminutives is clumsy and obvious. Don't bother trying to be clever; you're unqualified.

If two people take a test on a subject or write a paper on a topic and get the exact same grade from the same professor could you tell which one spent 3 days a week in class and had regular chit chats with a teaching assistant and which one studied independently?

If I were familiar with the course and with each of the students and their work prior to taking the course? Sure. You don't really understand the question you asked, because you don't understand the first thing about really learning.

And by the way, trying to use phrases like "spending time" and "chit chat" as diminutives is clumsy and obvious. Don't bother trying to be clever; you're unqualified.

OOOH sensitive aren't we Mr TA wannabe Professor.

If there is no measurable difference between the 2 students then one method of learning is no different than the other.

So get over yourself. Your need for validation is pathetic.

If there is no measurable difference between the 2 students then one method of learning is no different than the other.

Now you've been reduced to sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting, "LALALALALALALALALALALA!" Seems about the right level for you. I answered your question and revealed your childish little 'technique.' You've got nothing left but repetition and denial. I don't blame you for being frustrated at all the time and money you wasted.

[...]

If you go to a fair to middling college or university employers want someone who can, as they put it, "Hit the ground running." They want someone they can put into a cubicle and expect that person to be as productive as the person who sat there for five years.

I know what I am talking about. My degree was in political science. When I was working as a stock clerk my boss told me, "You are intelligent. You work hard. You do a good job. Nevertheless, we have nothing in common. As far as I am concerned, that is a problem. When I come to work I want to talk about last night's ball game or a fishing trip I was on. You are not interested in that."

He was right. I was not interested. He was not interested in what I wanted to talk about about, which would have been a book I was reading, a magazine article I had read, or a documentary I has seen on television. That was not a termination interview. Nevertheless, that boss had already given me a bad job review for contrived and picayune reasons. When the time came to lay people off I was on the list.

When I was trying to get another job as a stock clerk I kept applying for jobs that asked for a high school degree and six months of experience. I had a year and a half experience. I kept getting rejected. Finally a job counselor told me that I should not tell prospective employers about my college degree. She said it meant that I was overqualified.

That is what you get from a liberal arts degree. You are not qualified to do anything that takes a certain amount of intelligence. You are over qualified for anything you can learn on the job.

A shipwrecked sailor is washed ashore in a place inhabited by a genetically blind race. In spite of their deficiency, his kind and accommodating hosts are productively competent and fully capable of sustaining their well organized colony because of exceptionally well developed compensatory senses.

When the sailor speaks to them in terms of things he can or cannot "see," such as "colors, clouds" and "beauty," these peculiar pronouncements combined with his frequent stumbling and his comparatively limited ability to move about and function during those times which he speaks of as "darkness" and "night," cause his sightless hosts to regard him as defective, delusional, and capable of only marginal performance.

In the land of the blind, sometimes the one-eyed man is not king.

Now you've been reduced to sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting, "LALALALALALALALALALALA!" Seems about the right level for you. I answered your question and revealed your childish little 'technique.' You've got nothing left but repetition and denial. I don't blame you for being frustrated at all the time and money you wasted.

There is nothing magical about TA like you leading a Q&A session once a week.

You just can't face the fact that you are not as important as you think you are.

As I said the only thing that counts is measurable results and if you get exactly the same results from 2 different courses of action then there is no appreciable difference between those actions.

That's how things work outside of academia, you know what the rest of us call the real world where you don't get graded on a curve.

There is nothing magical about TA like you leading a Q&A session once a week.

You just can't face the fact that you are not as important as you think you are.

Weak attempts at distraction like focusing on "TA" and repeating it endlessly, or pretending this has anything to do with me personally, strongly suggest you realize at this point that your foolish argument has fallen completely apart.

As I said the only thing that counts is measurable results and if you get exactly the same results from 2 different courses of action then there is no appreciable difference between those actions.

You obviously haven't thought that through. But then, you clearly never learned to think carefully.

You obviously haven't thought that through. But then, you clearly never learned to think carefully.

You just can't admit that there's nothing special about being a teacher.

You could not tell the difference between two equally knowledgeable students based on performance alone even if you do believe you have magic powers as T.A.

So go figure out the curve for your next exam. What's it going to be a C+ equals an A?

You've got a real hang-up going on, huh? Were you beaten by a teacher as a child or something? Don't be scared, they won't hurt you (you're doing more than enough of that to yourself).

You could not tell the difference between two equally knowledgeable students based on performance alone

I already answered your question about this. Pay attention. No wonder why you can't learn anything.

You could not tell the difference between two equally knowledgeable students based on performance alone

I already answered your question about this. Pay attention. No wonder why you can't learn anything.

Go consult your study group little sheep we know you're no good on your own.

What study group is that? In any case, it's easy to see that you never learned a damn thing on your own. In fact, you can't even understand the topic.

What study group is that? In any case, it's easy to see that you never learned a damn thing on your own. In fact, you can't even understand the topic.

hey you're the one that needed a TA to explain shit to you not me and now you are a TA you must be so proud. Run along now and go give some moron a curved grade so it looks like you know how to teach

You've got a real hang-up going on, huh? Were you beaten by a teacher as a child or something? Don't be scared, they won't hurt you (you're doing more than enough of that to yourself).

No I honestly can say I can't remember any of my college professor's names because quite frankly after I passed their classes they were irrelevant just like you.

hey you're the one that needed a TA to explain shit to you not me and now you are a TA you must be so proud.

I never said I was a TA, you moron. This pattern of assume and repeat is one of the most reliable indicators of an idiot who cannot communicate trying to tread water in a discussion. You see it all the time here, and you fit the type to a T.

No I honestly can say I can't remember any of my college professor's names .

What's even more certain is that none of them remember yours. Idiots like you who are basically just making a donation to the college are a generic dime a dozen.

What's even more certain is that none of them remember yours. Idiots like you who are basically just making a donation to the college are a generic dime a dozen.

Well i currently make more than any of them so I don't give a fuck what they think

They're the ones stuck teaching the same thing over and over trying to tell themselves that they are absolutely indispensable. Kind of like you do.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl7Zg8P0z3M]Monty Python - International Philosophy - YouTube[/ame]

It was something to watch.

Philosophers arguing. :D

Well i currently make more than any of them .

So do drug kingpins, inside traders, and corrupt politicians. Congratulations, you ignorant scumbag. You won't understand this, but you also clearly missed something else important that a liberal arts education might have given you.

Forum List

Back