'Why Study Philosophy'

Look here

A free course from MIT on logic. Yale, Harvard, Notre Dame, Tufts, Stanford and Johns Hopkins offer courses as well. All for free.

Logic I | Linguistics and Philosophy | MIT OpenCourseWare

Buy the text, read the lecture notes, do the assignments and you will learn everything the students at MIT learned for free.

No, you will not (as if we needed any more evidence as to why the likes of you could never attend an MIT or Harvard or Tufts, etc. :rolleyes:)

Those can be interesting and fun. More and more schools are offering them. It's a good and generous public service to make them available. It's a great study aid for students to supplement notes taken during the lecture too. But they don't give you a degree for watching. Guess why.

You shouldn't be able to pass the course that way because you would not have demonstrated mastery of the subject. You shouldn't need this explained to you, moron. Congratulations on having wasted so much time and money. No wonder why you're such a bitter douchebag.

You still haven't told me how sitting in a lecture 3 days a week makes some idiot who gets lower grades than I do more educated.

Participating in the class, asking questions, attending group sessions (often mandatory in such courses) moderated by a T.A. and interacting with other like-minded scholars to sharpen and develop real understanding of the material, and demonstrating an ability to communicate effectively about the subject at hand are all part of LEARNING. You seem proud of yourself for knowing how to READ. You also seem quite bitter about all the time and money you obviously wasted. You are a fool, and you want to insist that everyone else be one as well.

One does not need to go to a college to talk with other people about any subject.

And if you want to hone your communication skills, you can do that for free too.
Toastmasters International - Home

And tell me if all that is so important then why is it that in most cases class participation is only 10% of the grade and assignments and test scores the other 90%?

Look here

A free course from MIT on logic. Yale, Harvard, Notre Dame, Tufts, Stanford and Johns Hopkins offer courses as well. All for free.

Logic I | Linguistics and Philosophy | MIT OpenCourseWare

Buy the text, read the lecture notes, do the assignments and you will learn everything the students at MIT learned for free.

No, you will not (as if we needed any more evidence as to why the likes of you could never attend an MIT or Harvard or Tufts, etc. :rolleyes:)

Those can be interesting and fun. More and more schools are offering them. It's a good and generous public service to make them available. It's a great study aid for students to supplement notes taken during the lecture too. But they don't give you a degree for watching. Guess why.

No i attended Boston University and Worcester Polytechnic.

And I'm not talking about a degree. I am talking about the acquisition of knowledge. Just because you have a degree does not mean you will know more about a subject than a dedicated autodidact. As i said if i can get the same or better grades on the coursework than paying students then I didn't need to pay for the class to get the same education.

You still haven't told me how sitting in a lecture 3 days a week makes some idiot who gets lower grades than I do more educated.

Participating in the class, asking questions, attending group sessions (often mandatory in such courses) moderated by a T.A. and interacting with other like-minded scholars to sharpen and develop real understanding of the material, and demonstrating an ability to communicate effectively about the subject at hand are all part of LEARNING. You seem proud of yourself for knowing how to READ. You also seem quite bitter about all the time and money you obviously wasted. You are a fool, and you want to insist that everyone else be one as well.

One does not need to go to a college to talk with other people about any subject.

Talk to whom? The guy you bump into in the gutter when you get tossed out of a bar at night? Someone - if you could scare up ONE person interested enough in the subject to have read the same material and on the same time frame as you, who ends up being even more ignorant and dim-witted than YOU? (if such a thing is possible) Or people equally interested and invested in the material and reasonably equal in their ability to engage said material? All focused on the same material at the same time, guided by those who know and understand the material better than you do and can help you avoid wasting time down side roads of misconceptions and other errors (side roads YOU would strut proudly down all by yourself, convinced you have 'mastered' the material)? Material presented and interepreted by a true expert - sometimes a leading authority IN THE WORLD on the subject? Learned people willing and capable of providing meaningful feedback when YOU inevitably get it all fucking wrong?

Face it, you have no fucking clue what it means to LEARN. That's why you wasted so much time and money. Sucker.

As i said if i can get the same or better grades on the coursework than paying students then I didn't need to pay for the class to get the same education.

You clearly didn't get any kind of education. It was nice of you to make a donation to some fine institutions though.

Do yourself a favor and stop watching Good Will Hunting over and over.

As i said if i can get the same or better grades on the coursework than paying students then I didn't need to pay for the class to get the same education.

You clearly didn't get any kind of education. It was nice of you to make a donation to some fine institutions though.

So tell me why is classroom participation for the most part only counted as 10% of the grade and tests and assignments the other 90%?

Every course I ever took used the same ratios. So obviously the profs thought test scores and the completion of assigned work to be much more important than classroom participation and even attendance.

So is my suspicion that you are a teacher or a wannabe professor true?

Only teachers think they are indispensable to the learning process.

So tell me why is classroom participation for the most part only counted as 10% of the grade and tests and assignments the other 90%?

If you hadn't missed out completely on getting a real education you'd have the tools to figure that out for yourself. Unfortunately, your ignorance will lead you to the wrong conclusion. You poor, stupid bastard.

If you hadn't missed out completely on getting a real education you'd have the tools to figure that out for yourself. Unfortunately, your ignorance will lead you to the wrong conclusion. You poor, stupid bastard.

So again you won't answer the question. Maybe you should ask a TA what to say

LOL! You just can't help proving the point over and over! :lol:

So you think that if I can ace all the tests and assignments of a course without attending class that some idiot like you who rides a curve and participates in Q&A with a teaching assistant has a better understanding of the material?

Please prove your position. If you're so smart it should be easy.

I won't hold my breath though because your reluctance to do so is evidence enough of your inability.

So you think that if I can ace all the tests and assignments of a course without attending class that some idiot like you who rides a curve and participates in Q&A with a teaching assistant has a better understanding of the material?

I've already explained this for you. You like to read, so go back and read what I wrote again.

It's no surprise that you aren't learning anything from all this. You just don't seem capable.

I've already explained this for you. You like to read, so go back and read what I wrote again.

It's no surprise that you aren't learning anything from all this. You just don't seem capable.

I don't need to listen to you flap your lips in order to learn.

You might not be able to learn on your own but don't project your disabilities onto me.

Do you really think it matters in the end if I got a 4.0 in course that I didn't participate in a discussion with a teaching assistant?

As i said you must be a wannabe professor.

You have more than proven that you don't even know what that means.

And you have?

You have yet to answer one of my questions thereby demonstrating your inability to support your argument.

No go have a discussion with some fellow students and teaching assistants to try and figure it out.

And you have?

You have yet to answer one of my questions thereby demonstrating your inability to support your argument.

No go have a discussion with some fellow students and teaching assistants to try and figure it out.

You've had everything explained to you that you need, but you are too stupid to understand any of it. That's why you wasted so much time and money. Poor fool.

And you have?

You've had everything explained to you that you need, but you are too stupid to understand any of it. That's why you wasted so much time and money. Poor fool.

And you don't understand that sitting around gabbing with other students about the assignments is not necessary to learn the course material.

it's the measurable end result that matters. It's all that ever matters.

The sad fool clearly has no idea what learning is, let alone a liberal arts education, let alone Philosophy.

You're just dancing around like a clown at this point, fool.

The sad fool clearly has no idea what learning is, let alone a liberal arts education, let alone Philosophy.

And you still haven't proven your point .

So just answer this question.

If two people take a test on a subject or write a paper on a topic and get the exact same grade from the same professor could you tell which one spent 3 days a week in class and had regular chit chats with a teaching assistant and which one studied independently?

That's about as simple as I can make the question so you should have no trouble answering it.

And you still haven't proven your point .

Do I need to tell you to go back and read what I already told you over and over? Are you going into JakeFakey mode because you have nothing left to say?

Forum List

Back