Why would any president want higher gas prices, skyrocketing rates,lay off 400,000?

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
NOT one single supporter has yet come up with ANY justification for ANY president to make totally ignorant and grossly uninformed statements like these!

"Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket." Obama: I?ll make energy prices ?skyrocket? « Hot Air
So Obama WANTS ordinary people and businesses to PAY higher rates thus forcing people to spend less, employers to lay off workers?
NET effect:
Obama hire EPA management that sole objective is to destroy businesses that employ people!
"EPA itself estimated that its ozone standard would cost $90 billion a year,
while other studies have projected that the rule could cost upwards of a trillion dollars and destroy 7.4 million jobs.

Boiler MACT Rule: EPA's Boiler MACT (Maximum Achievable Control Technology) standards are so strict that not even the best-performing sources can meet them, so many companies will have no choice but to shut their doors and ship manufacturing jobs overseas.
The rule has been projected to reduce US GDP by as much as 1.2 billion dollars and will destroy nearly 800,000 jobs.
Articles: Obama's EPA Plans for 2013

Obama says..I'd like higher gas prices, just not so quickly" LiveLeak.com - Obama: Id like higher gas prices, just not so quickly
WHAT will employers do when delivery truck gas prices climb? Stop delivering or raise prices. Means no drivers.. means unemployed!
Why in any sane world would a President say he'd like higher gas prices??? Ignorance?

Finally do you comprehend when Obama says "I happen to be a proponent of a single payer universal health care program"
IF OBAMA is a proponent... that means he is against the 1,300 health insurance companies existing!
400,000 jobs GONE!! $100 billion a year in Federal/state/local/property taxes gone!

So explain to me why ANY American wants: higher utility prices, gas prices and destroy 1,300 companies?

NO matter what the context this is a destructive policy NOT constructive and IF Obama is so stupid not to be able to accomplish his goals without destroying
America... geez you idiots that support him... he really isn't that smart then!

YOU don't have to want alternative energy sources by destroying current ones.
You don't have to destroy the tax base, jobs, etc. to combat global warming!
If Obama is that stupid to want higher gas prices, utility rates to skyrocket, bankrupt companies... don't you think there are smarter people then him???

If your goal was to punish a country that you hate and an economic system that you hate, and to get even for slavery at the same time----------------that is exactly what you would do.

Destroy the economy and the culture and then take over with a dictatorial monarchy. Heil Hitler !

Total bs- look up this bs spin and out of context Pubcrappe anywhere but your brainwash/propaganda machine and you'll discover you're a brainwashed chump of the greedy idiot rich...discredited a million times, but the hater dupes keep bringing it up...change the channel..

the actual quote, but NEVER LET FACTS GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD RANT

I think that I would have preferred a gradual adjustment. The fact that this is such a shock to American pocketbooks is not a good thing. But if we take some steps right now to help people make the adjustment, first of all by putting more money into their pockets, but also by encouraging the market to adapt to these new circumstances more quickly, particularly US automakers, then I think ultimately, we can come out of this stronger and have a more efficient energy policy than we do right now.

Obama Wanted Higher Gasoline Prices?

Seems some folks just don't have a "reality filter". They will believe anything, regardless of how ridiculous it sounds.

What is more interesting is how retail gasoline prices have moved. Adjusted for inflation, the historical prices have been;

From 1991 through 2000 they were pretty steady. It was in the 1999 to 2000 time frame that China began to demand more fuel as they became a larger part of the global markets. At that point, gasoline prices began to rise steadily to the peak in 2008. From '08 through '09, gasoline prices fell as the world economy began to collapse.

The return of higher prices, from 2009 through 2012, was/is a double edged sword, so to speak. The recovering economy included a return of demand for gasoline and with that returning demand came increasing prices.

As always, the free market does what it is suppose to do, rationing scares resources. Nobody WANTS higher prices. Never the less, if you understand anything about the free market, you understand that we depand on prices managing demand. This is simply how things work.

I think that I would have preferred a gradual adjustment. The fact that this is such a shock to American pocketbooks is not a good thing. But if we take some steps right now to help people make the adjustment, first of all by putting more money into their pockets, but also by encouraging the market to adapt to these new circumstances more quickly, particularly US automakers, then I think ultimately, we can come out of this stronger and have a more efficient energy policy than we do right now.

euphemism!!!!
I would prefer a gradual increase in gas prices! What is the difference??? Prices still go up!!!!

Obama doesn't like businesses. Period!
He never worked for a 'profit" organization and he distrusts them!

By the way...
FACTCHECK.ORG is funded by the same organization that Funded Obama!
FactCheck.org is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania. The APPC was established by publisher and philanthropist Walter Annenberg to create a community of scholars within the University of Pennsylvania that would address public policy issues at the local, state and federal levels.

About Us

Founding members of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge Board were: Susan Crown, vice president, Henry Crown Company; Patricia Graham, president, The Spencer Foundation, and former dean, Harvard Graduate School of Education; Stanley Ikenberry, president-emeritus, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; Handy Lindsey, executive director, Field Foundation;
Barack Obama; Arnold Weber, former president, Northwestern University, and president, Civic Committee of the Commercial Club of Chicago; and Wanda White, executive director, Community Workshop on Economic Development.
Annenberg Foundation | Chicago Annenberg Challenge Records

So tell me FACTCHECK.oRG would be totally unbiased????

Why then would he appoint “Chu, his Energy secretary, said in 2008“Somehow,” Chu said, “we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe.”

Steven Chu's Europe gas quote haunts President Obama - Bob King - POLITICO.com

IF HE DIDN"T WANT gas prices to go up???

GEEZ...

NoW explain again how OBAMA DIDN"T WANT gas prices to increase when he SAYS I would prefer a gradual adjustment!

the same as cheney when gradual increases in the price of one form of energy will result in free markets using LESS energy or finding new forms.

It's called "market economics."

PS, btw at the time Cheney was formulating our Enron energy policy, and the time Obama made his comments, I don't think anyone really expected that we'd find the energy sources in fracking and the newly discovered oil fields. I don't think we'll be moving to hydrogen soon, but increased world wide demand will necessitate, as Obama indicated, more conservation and efficiency.

Last edited:

euphemism!!!!
I would prefer a gradual increase in gas prices! What is the difference??? Prices still go up!!!!

NoW explain again how OBAMA DIDN"T WANT gas prices to increase when he SAYS I would prefer a gradual adjustment!

Well, it's pretty obvious to me. Why you don't get it is a bit difficult to say.

Because he didn't say, "I want gas prices to increase."

He said, "I would prefer a gradual adjustment."

Are these two sentences really all that hard for you to get the difference? Really? Do really expect us to believe that you don't get the difference?

The difference is one of the markets and economy being able to adjust and one where the markets and economy are unable to adjust. When the markets and economy don't have sufficient time to adjust, all sorts of shit happens, like sudden increases in unemployment. You know, like when the housing bubble collapsed all of a sudden.

I really don't believe that your are that clueless.

Last edited:
NOT one single supporter has yet come up with ANY justification for ANY president to make totally ignorant and grossly uninformed statements like these!

"Under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket." Obama: I?ll make energy prices ?skyrocket? « Hot Air

I notice you rubes always stop right at the word "skyrocket". You never quote the rest of his answer to the question that was asked.

Probably because he makes a dead-on prediction first:

They — you — you can already see what the arguments will be during the general election. People will say, “Ah, Obama and Al Gore, these folks, they’re going to destroy the economy, this is going to cost us eight trillion dollars,” or whatever their number is.

Bingo! That is EXACTLY what you do! He nailed it!

Then he says:

If you can’t persuade the American people that yes, there is going to be some increase in electricity rates on the front end, but that over the long term, because of combinations of more efficient energy usage, changing lightbulbs and more efficient appliance, but also technology improving how we can produce clean energy, the economy would benefit.

You guys invariably leave that part out. You lie by omission.

In an honest debate, we could argue about whether or not his prediction about the future benefit to the economy are true. And chances are good that you would find me on the side of the debate which disagrees with his assessment.

But rubes like you are not honest. Instead, you fabricate a totally bogus strawman that he wants to destroy America.

Your puppet masters pet you on the head for being so easily manipulated, and you alienate intelligent sane people like me who would have been on your side in an honest debate.

Last edited:

So Obama WANTS ordinary people and businesses to PAY higher rates thus forcing people to spend less, employers to lay off workers?
You would think you know-it-all idiots would have come up with some new lies by now!

Obama said prices would skyrocket on the front end because of the pass along of retrofitting costs, but there would be long term savings that are good for the economy on the back end.

This is a perfect example of how the Right lies every time they "quote" somebody, they never give the WHOLE quote!

OBAMA: You know, when I was asked earlier about the issue of coal - uh, you know, under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket, even regardless of what I say about whether coal is good or bad. Because I'm capping greenhouse gases, coal-powered plants, natural gas - you name it, whatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money, they will pass that money on to consumers.

They - you can already see what the arguments are going to be during the General Election. People will say "Ah, Obama and Al Gore, these folks, they're gonna destroy the economy, this is going to cost us $8 trillion", or whatever their number is. If you can't persuade the American people that: yes, there is going to be some increase in electricity rates on the front end, but that over the long term - because of combinations of more efficient energy usage and changing light bulbs and more efficient appliances, but also technology improving how we can produce clean energy - that the economy will benefit.

Five years into the Obama Administration and those skyrocketing electricity prices have failed to materialize.

Five years into the Obama Administration and those skyrocketing electricity prices have failed to materialize.

It hasn't happened because demand is down in a crappy economy. If Keystone had been built gasoline could be much cheaper than it is today.

It hasn't happened because demand is down in a crappy economy. If Keystone had been built gasoline could be much cheaper than it is today.

Bull shit , it would increase the price . Another bs talking point from the right kooks . More lies need more lies :eusa_boohoo:
The Keystone XL Pipeline: Facts and Fairytales

You can believe what is printed in left wing blogs if you choose, but to do so is just ignorant-------I guess the shoe fits------------

Bull shit , it would increase the price . Another bs talking point from the right kooks . More lies need more lies :eusa_boohoo:

You can believe what is printed in left wing blogs if you choose, but to do so is just ignorant-------I guess the shoe fits------------

Ignorant is the GOP mantra ,so start tying them shoes ! :eusa_shifty:

The fact remains that the average price of gas has been higher under Obama than the previous president. Higher gas prices means higher prices everywhere else.

Now if you want to compare energy prices:

EIA - Electricity Data

The price depends on where you live, but it has gone up and yet the far left thinks that higher gas prices and higher electric bills will some how help the poor.

Ignorant is the GOP mantra ,so start tying them shoes ! :eusa_shifty:

"If you like your heathcare policy, you can keep it, period"
"If you like your doctor, you can keep him, Period"
"57 states"
"the average person will see his healthcare premium decrease by $2500"
"raising the national debt is unpatriotic and a failure of leadership"
"corpseman"

speaking of ignorant and lying-----------------

Forum List

Back