Will more guns create a safer society?

That is an interesting assertion though ...

Not saying that government does or doesn't want to confiscate weapons ... Why would a registry be necessary? If they just wanted a list ... What would they do with the list ... What is the reason they need a list?

Accountability.

If you own a firearm you must be accountable for it. Taking responsibility to ensure that it is either in your possession or safeguarded from where someone else cannot get their hands on it.

Crime prevention.

If all guns are registered to their lawful owners who are held accountable for them per the point above then they cannot be used to commit crimes.

Why wouldn't a lawful gun owner be willing to be accountable for their own guns and participate in crime prevention?

Registry doesn't include storage and use. It is already illegal for criminals to own firearms ... And what threat does a lawful gun owner pose? If they are law abiding, what does that do towards crime prevention?

Registering legally owned firearms held by law-abiding citizens has no practical purpose other than accounting for weapons owned by people who already aren't breaking the law. Any other use of the list by the government would result in activities intended to restrict firearms ... Whether or not they use criminals as an excuse.

They would do better to police the criminals than harass the law-abiding citizens.

Are you saying that no guns are ever stolen from law abiding gun owners?

Are you also saying that no law abiding gun owner has ever had their gun fall into the hands of children with fatal results?

Accountability means just that. Law abiding gun owners must be held accountable for their lethal weapons.

I find it odd that those that demand that the least fortunate members of society must be accountable for their situation but those that own guns are somehow exempt from any accountability.

We the People are adults and as such we must be accountable without exception in my opinion.

Stolen weapons are stolen by criminals ... And law-abiding citizens report stolen weapons with the authorities. I have a registry of my weapons including serial numbers and descriptions ... And if they are ever stolen the government will know about it in the official report.

You are a responsible gun owner. Can you say the same for the other 80 million gun owners?

You also failed to address the issue of accountability. Do you agree that I am accountable for insuring my vehicles so that if it is involved in an accident that should someone be injured there will be funds to pay for their injuries? Why shouldn't the same accountability apply to guns?
If you kill or injure a person with a firearm you are subject to arrest, fines and financial judgements.

If your gun is stolen and you report it stolen then you have complied with the law and the person who stole your gun is responsible for any crimes committed with it.

What you don't seem to understand is that people have the right to own and carry firearms but they DO NOT have any protected right to fire those weapons

.you want to punish the gun owner if someone breaks into their home and takes their weapon

Get back to me after you have had professional help dealing with your gun fetish paranoia. Until then there is no point in responding given that you are incapable of rational thought on this topic. There are others with whom it is possible to have a rational discussion so I will only be responding to them henceforth. Have a nice day.

If someone steals your car and runs over someone else ... They don't charge you with vehicular homicide and take your ability to own a car away.

No one is doing that to you either and no one is proposing that you should be charged. As with my vehicle providing the license plate to the authorities ensures that if there is a subsequent accident any victims will be cared for. Why shouldn't the same accountability apply to guns?

You are a responsible gun owner. Can you say the same for the other 80 million gun owners?

You also failed to address the issue of accountability. Do you agree that I am accountable for insuring my vehicles so that if it is involved in an accident that should someone be injured there will be funds to pay for their injuries? Why shouldn't the same accountability apply to guns?

I did go back and edit my post in regards to accountability ...

"If someone steals your car and runs over someone else ... They don't charge you with vehicular homicide and take your ability to own a car away."

You do realize...well...obviously you don't....if someone goes out and accidentally shoots someone....they are then sued for damages...and possibly go to jail....

It seems to me...that is accountability...don't you think....

What you probably want....drug addict steals gun, sells guns for drugs, drug dealer sells gun to gang banger who kills innocent person...

You want to be able to punish the gun owner who had the gun stolen...right?

What you don't seem to understand is that people have the right to own and carry firearms but they DO NOT have any protected right to fire those weapons

I do fully understand that point. The point that I am making is given that they are lethal weapons why is there no accountability in the form of insurance coverage similar to that of vehicles?

"If someone steals your car and runs over someone else ... They don't charge you with vehicular homicide and take your ability to own a car away."

Thank you.

If someone steals your car and runs over someone else ... They don't charge you with vehicular homicide and take your ability to own a car away.

No one is doing that to you either and no one is proposing that you should be charged. As with my vehicle providing the license plate to the authorities ensures that if there is a subsequent accident any victims will be cared for. Why shouldn't the same accountability apply to guns?

Your license plate and fees doesn't supply care for anyone ... LOL!
There seems to be some attempt to shift the blame off the criminals and put it on the owner.

That in itself would be irresponsible.

You do realize...well...obviously you don't....if someone goes out and accidentally shoots someone....they are then sued for damages...and possibly go to jail....

Why do they have to go to the trouble of a law suit when as a responsible gun owner you should insurance coverage for that purpose?

Get back to me after you have had professional help dealing with your gun fetish paranoia. Until then there is no point in responding given that you are incapable of rational thought on this topic. There are others with whom it is possible to have a rational discussion so I will only be responding to them henceforth. Have a nice day.

Ahhh,,,the anti gunner turns into the complete asshole when someone cites the truth, facts and statistics that deflate their silly arguments....

Thank you.

It's not impossible anyway ... There are cases where gun owners are held accountable for their actions or lack thereof. It is the same as when a bartender can be charged as an accessory in vehicular homicide if they continue to serve a visibly drunk customer they may suspect will drive.

Ahhh,,,the anti gunner turns into the complete asshole when someone cites the truth, facts and statistics that deflate their silly arguments....

Unlike you I am a responsible gun owner who has no problem with being accountable for my weapons. And unlike you I am not paranoid about registering my guns either. I welcome the idea of background checks to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

That you resorted to vulgarities because you cannot overcome your gun fetish paranoia is your problem.

Have a nice day.

I do fully understand that point. The point that I am making is given that they are lethal weapons why is there no accountability in the form of insurance coverage similar to that of vehicles?

Liability Insurance for vehicles is mandated for property damage especially damage to public property that can be caused by vehicles.

And what would you insure? The property damage done by a gun is generally minimal and any person can carry additional liability insurance if need be.

But if your gun is stolen and you report it you are not responsible for the criminal's actions so no insurance is needed.

If you shoot a person and the shooting is deemed unjustified then you are subject to arrest, and civil law suits.

Well....guns and their ownership is a right, not a privilege...cars are a privilege...

Also....should people who post on the internet register with the government first...and should they be required to maintain libel insurance before the government allows them to post...?

How about journalists and authors...before they can write a single word...should they be required to register with the government...and should they carry libel insurance.....?

I'm not tallking about news agencies...I am talking the journalists and authors themselves...and should it be required before they can write one word?

Thank you.

It's not impossible anyway ... There are cases where gun owners are held accountable for their actions or lack thereof. It is the same as when a bartender can be charged as an accessory in vehicular homicide if they continue to serve a visibly drunk customer they may suspect will drive.

And the responsible owner of the bar will have insurance coverage for that eventuality because he knows that he can be held accountable. Why should guns be the exception?

Thank you.

And the responsible owner of the bar will have insurance coverage for that eventuality because he knows that he can be held accountable. Why should guns be the exception?

That won't help the bartender though ...

I welcome the idea of background checks to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

Hmmm...well, background checks didn't keep guns out of the hands of lanza, or the theater killer, or any number of mentally ill people who went on shooting sprees and either stole their guns or passed current, federally mandated background checks.....

So again...background checks and gun registration are useless, prevent no crimes, and solve no crimes, they waste money, time and police resources and manpower.....

other than those things...they sound nice though...

If you shoot a person and the shooting is deemed unjustified then you are subject to arrest, and civil law suits.

And if your child shoots someone? Please provide valid reasons why gun owners should not be required to have insurance coverage just as you do for vehicles? What makes guns the exception to being responsible and accountable for what happens when your possessions cause harm to others?

Forum List

Back