Will the 2020 or 2030 Census show Slightly Eastern Movement?

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
The 1920 census was the start of the verifiable population move south. When the left coast starts losing seats in the house depends on how quickly tax base flight kicks in. With all of the neglect of maintenance under Brown 2020 is just barely possible as the starting gun for fleeing CA. What other factors do you think will have the most impact and how soon?

CA has millions of recent immigrants and due to socioeconomics they aren't as likely to be able to cash in equity and relocate. I expect to see some but no major, net population shift; just a fiscal quagmire that will become exponentially worse in CA until they become more hospitable to homeowners an businesses.​

I was under the thought that the migration went North to the factories during the first half of the 20th century. Heck, we used to joke that the capital of West Virginia was Akron. Then in the late 60's and 70's I saw shift as manufacturing companies left town and headed for the non-union, right-to-work states of the South.

I was under the thought that the migration went North to the factories during the first half of the 20th century. Heck, we used to joke that the capital of West Virginia was Akron. Then in the late 60's and 70's I saw shift as manufacturing companies left town and headed for the non-union, right-to-work states of the South.

That could well be true for WV and southern Blacks but AC caused a net southern vector to be added to the western vector that was the sole trendline prior to 1920. The southern trend started to compound faster than the western trend since 1980 but has not yet become the dominant trend.

But useful logistics and job creation is becoming stronger in the South and eastern Great plains as a result of much better topology. A bullet train from Houston to WI would be the cheapest and most useful infrastructure project possible if Trump wants job creation to go into overdrive.

Forum List

Back