Will The GOP Plan To Raise The Retirement Age For Social Security Be Very Popular?

Not when you compare us to where we were a generation ago

Medical advances make medical conditions that would have been dehabilitating a generation ago, highly survivable

A generation ago, a heart attack, cancer, diabetes, hip and joint conditions would have killed you or left you crippled

Bullshit. I've been an insulin diabetic since the age of 24, and I'm 62 now. I can tell you not much has changed since I first got the condition.

The big concern today is how fat our kids are. They blame it on the food we eat and to some degree, they are correct. But when I was a kid, we ate snacks all the time and never got fat. The difference? We weren't in front of our television sets playing video games, in our bedrooms with our smart phones. We were out peddling our bicycles, walking to our friends houses, going to the playground and throwing some baseballs around. We ate fast food about three or four times a year. Everything else we ate were home cooked meals.

When global warming comes around, me and my older tenants are outside. I work on the yard most of the day, and my tenants find things to do as well. My younger tenants? Still in the house. They don't even open up any windows. They go from the furnace to the AC. Their entire world is their four walls.

So even with all our medical advancements, we take the worst care of ourselves than most first world countries.

Just remember

Tax cuts for the rich are entitlements

Social Security and Medicare are earned benefits

Entitlements can not only be tweaked, but completely eliminated.

Perhaps you need to understand the term "entitlements." The government taking less of YOUR money is not an entitlement. You leftists are raised to believe that all money made belongs to government, and what they allow you to keep of your money is a gift from them to you, but there is no truth to it.

My thoughts...
Before there is even a discussion on altering SS benefits - FIRST - is to address the large scale fraud and allocation to people who never paid in.
In a similar discussion, I made the point that probably every single person who is on this forum above the age of 40 knows someone who is on disability that shouldn't be. I know of 3. Personally.
Get these people off of the tit before you even think of affecting people who worked their whole lives.
And then there are non citizens getting SS and disability, and Democrats in some states wanting to increase payments to more even more non citizens. Many never paid one dime in the system.
We can't talk about reducing benefits to people who spent 40 years paying in, while giving benefits to people who paid nothing.

If all undocumented immigrants were deported today, next year’s Social Security trust funds would have approximately $13 billion less for benefit payouts.

Since undocumented immigrants don’t have Social Security numbers and are not authorized to work legally in the U.S., they are not eligible for any Social Security benefits, whether they’ve paid into the system or not.

Undocumented immigrants quietly pay billions into Social Security and receive no benefits

Add a number of years to it so it will still be solvent or not running short. The third option is raising the tax a little. Other options are reducing any corruption in the programs and managing it better. They argue this in the 1980's and the time to do anything that was prudent, was then. They said they fixed the system at that time when they raised the tax and the age. Trust Us!
Make every taxpayer in the US contribute to it. No more caps, state, municipal and federal exemptions from paying into it. It would become solvent overnight.

I think it would be wonderful if SSI was raised about 500 per month and lowered to 60. One should only be expected to work for about 30-40 years of their life. A human being deserves to relax.

If all undocumented immigrants were deported today, next year’s Social Security trust funds would have approximately $13 billion less for benefit payouts.

Since undocumented immigrants don’t have Social Security numbers and are not authorized to work legally in the U.S., they are not eligible for any Social Security benefits, whether they’ve paid into the system or not.

Undocumented immigrants quietly pay billions into Social Security and receive no benefits

Yup.

Now let's deport the illegal aliens.

Perhaps you need to understand the term "entitlements." The government taking less of YOUR money is not an entitlement. You leftists are raised to believe that all money made belongs to government, and what they allow you to keep of your money is a gift from them to you, but there is no truth to it.

Wrong. Tax rates between 1945-1980 worked just fine. At which time the middleclass was at its peak, and national debt was negligible.

The middleclass has been cut to a fraction of what it was, destroying the traditional family, and the national debt is out if control.

All due to tax cuts for the wealthiest people, and out of control military spending.

What I know as a fact, is those tax cuts and that out of control military spending, are 100% of the problem.

Just as soon as out of control military spending is halted, and tax rates are reinstated to what they were in 1979, both the debt problem, and spending problems go away.

Yea, like people who don't have children funding the public school system -- which ironically, rightwingers also hate.....

Lots of middle class people don't like funding the wealthy elites tax breaks either....but since you dumb asses love trickle down so much, enjoy the trickle down effect of America's seniors being able to live with a bit more dignity than before...which was why Social Security was started in the first place..and which is why it is still one of the most popular program in US history....so much so that Republicans have to continuously lie about it....
geez dembot idiot…do you know how SS works? the more you pay you get out…that’s why we have cut offs…because the folks making that much don’t need that much out

Ask the Congressman. He is the one who said people are telling him they want to continue working.

Not according to the Congressman. Of course we all know he simply made the claim up.
what does being on disability have to do with people wanting to work. longer?

but to your point…anymore anyone can get on SSI…that’s a major reform needed to SS

With crash after crash in the markets.

It's all the same idea. You are fine benefitting but complain about others doing the same.
yes because the market will all ways bounce back. What you want is a guaranteed check from the govt, that collects money from those of us that work…that’s fine any all… but the fact you are solely depended on that is why SS is going broke

get a job

yes because the market will all ways bounce back. What you want is a guaranteed check from the govt, that collects money from those of us that work…that’s fine any all… but the fact you are solely depended on that is why SS is going broke

get a job

LOL, I don't get S.S. But yes, people will want the check the government told them they will get for paying into the system for years.

Is this a surprise to you?

geez dembot idiot…do you know how SS works? the more you pay you get out…that’s why we have cut offs…because the folks making that much don’t need that much out
Except those with disabilities who have come into the country and drawn off of a system that they paid nothing into. I wish it was limited to only those who have paid into it.

Last edited:
LOL, I don't get S.S. But yes, people will want the check the government told them they will get for paying into the system for years.

Is this a surprise to you?
not at all..that’s why i don’t get the raise the tax cut off…won’t the people you are making pay more continue to want back what they paid in? how does that solve the problem?

Except those with disabilities who have come into the country and drawn off of a system that they paid nothing into. I wish is was limited to only those who have paid into it.
there are many folks that come in to this country never paid a dime or nect to nothing and get Sect 8 housing, food stamp and SSI….that’s why trump was right to go back to merit based immigrant, deporting illegals, and stay in mexico refugee policies

Forum List

Back