🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Will the labor shortage now end? Millions of Americans Set to Lose Pandemic Unemployment Benefits Next Week, No Signs of States Extending

I was out of the house at 18 and supporting myself. Put myself through college without taking out student loans. Of course that was when my tuition for a year of school was about $2,500. Someone will have to explain to me why the cost of higher education has absolutely EXPLODED over the past forty years! You have a problem with student debt? Ask why colleges charge so much!

Because colleges are like any other business, supply and demand. When I was a teen in the 70's in the baby boom era, out of our class of 35 kids, maybe about 10 would attend college, and probably something like 8 made it through and got a degree. Today, nearly every high school student needs to go to college if they want to make a comfortable living, so we created a huge demand and a huge shortage of supply. Prices go up.

If we can stop this insane 27000 page "make America bankrupt" spending bill, maybe people will go back to work. But if they pass it, there will be enough loose money to prolong this insanity.

Because colleges are like any other business, supply and demand. When I was a teen in the 70's in the baby boom era, out of our class of 35 kids, maybe about 10 would attend college, and probably something like 8 made it through and got a degree. Today, nearly every high school student needs to go to college if they want to make a comfortable living, so we created a huge demand and a huge shortage of supply. Prices go up.
Hold on, Ray! Why does every high school student need to go to college? You can make a comfortable living as a plumber, a builder, an auto mechanic. If you're a skilled craftsman these days you're in high demand and get paid accordingly. So who's telling all of these kids that they NEED to go to college to get a degree when all that does is create a glut of college degree people? The honest to god truth is that we're sending far too many kids to college when the percentage that SHOULD be going is probably much closer to what it was back in the 70's!

Hold on, Ray! Why does every high school student need to go to college? You can make a comfortable living as a plumber, a builder, an auto mechanic. If you're a skilled craftsman these days you're in high demand and get paid accordingly. So who's telling all of these kids that they NEED to go to college to get a degree when that creates a glut of college degree people? The honest to god truth is that we're sending far too many kids to college when the percentage that SHOULD be going is probably much closer to what it was back in the 70's!

As time went on people got lazier. There is great money in fields of work that don't require college, but you have to work with your hands. A lot of people don't want to do that these days. After all, trade school is less than one-tenth of what a college degree costs, but if people are going to spend money on an education, the heaviest thing they want to lift is their briefcase.

I'm a retired truck driver. Before, during and after covid there has been a demand for qualified drivers that industry can't find. This was before covid, but I kept this ad to use as an example when these leftists tell me there is no good paying blue collar jobs any longer.

I own my home and the land it sits on yet that has nothing to do with the high amount of discrimination I go through because I am a licensed tradesman with a degree yet I get no where when sending out resumes and doing job interviews because I am sixty years old.

A friend who is 63 just got fired from his job because he's a "bad fit" for the company. He's worked there for 9 years. He's always on time, and works hard, and never calls in sick but they fired him because he's old. He's 2 years short of his pension, so he's getting by on unemployment insurance and odd jobs, but his chances of finding work are slim and none.

I went through something similar prior to my retirement. With multiple big Bay Street law firms literally disappearing overnight, hundreds of top level clerks were suddenly looking for work. Being 60 at the time, finding full time work thereafter was difficult. I could find maternity leave contracts - 1 year. But not permanent full time work.

A friend who is 63 just got fired from his job because he's a "bad fit" for the company. He's worked there for 9 years. He's always on time, and works hard, and never calls in sick but they fired him because he's old. He's 2 years short of his pension, so he's getting by on unemployment insurance and odd jobs, but his chances of finding work are slim and none.

I went through something similar prior to my retirement. With multiple big Bay Street law firms literally disappearing overnight, hundreds of top level clerks were suddenly looking for work. Being 60 at the time, finding full time work thereafter was difficult. I could find maternity leave contracts - 1 year. But not permanent full time work.

Younger people think age discrimination doesn't happen because we have laws against it. But how does one prove without a doubt that they didn't get a job because of their age?

I was in my 50's when Commie Care destroyed employer sponsored healthcare for small companies. I went out looking for a new job thinking my many years of accident-free driving, experience and no points on my license would land me a job easily. Boy was I wrong. You have to provide your drivers license when applying online, and they know how old you are before they even think of calling you in for an interview.

Now even if I could prove I was discriminated because of my age, would I really want to work for somebody that didn't want me there in the first place?

Being a wage slave is not a preferred position of most humans.
Ah... I see you are back.
Who isn't a "wage slave"?
Let's hear it.
You think it is realistic that everyone is rich?
If you are not rich... you are a wage slave.

Younger people think age discrimination doesn't happen because we have laws against it. But how does one prove without a doubt that they didn't get a job because of their age?

I was in my 50's when Commie Care destroyed employer sponsored healthcare for small companies. I went out looking for a new job thinking my many years of accident-free driving, experience and no points on my license would land me a job easily. Boy was I wrong. You have to provide your drivers license when applying online, and they know how old you are before they even think of calling you in for an interview.

Now even if I could prove I was discriminated because of my age, would I really want to work for somebody that didn't want me there in the first place?
Winner.
That is what this post is.
Obamacare ended my healthcare as well.
I was on Obamacare for one year before thankfully Bonzi got a job with full healthcare.
Age discrimination is VERY real in this country.
But it is the only discrimination that Democrats will never-ever get behind to address.
Ever

Winner.
That is what this post is.
Obamacare ended my healthcare as well.
I was on Obamacare for one year before thankfully Bonzi got a job with full healthcare.
Age discrimination is VERY real in this country.
But it is the only discrimination that Democrats will never-ever get behind to address.
Ever

I don't think there is very much any politician can do to address it. It's simply the way of our system. It's virtually impossible to prove age discrimination.

As for Commie Care, they have no plans for my provider which is the world famous Cleveland Clinic or I would buy a plan. One company offers plans (Molina) but the problem is they offer a plan for each department instead of coverage for anything the Clinic does, and I don't have a crystal ball to determine what services I would need in the future, nor can I afford seven or eight plans to cover everything.

Like your hospital you can keep your hospital? I can't believe there were people stupid enough to believe that.

I had one interview for a job I was perfect for. I had been clerking for a lawyer who did condominium developments, and this job was with a lawyer who does condo developments. This job entailed draft Development Agreements with municipal authorities, as well as Cost-Sharing Agreements for multi-phase developments, registration of reference plans, and a lot of other really job specific experience that I checked every single box on.

I was perfect for this job. I even had technical skills on every single piece of software this firm was using in their practice. I also had glowing references from the condo lawyer I had previously worked for, who said he didn't know what he was going to do without me. But the oddest thing happened. Every time I gave what I knew to be the right answers to their questions, it seemed to piss them off. They seemed upset with my answers, and became progressively more hostile with each qualification and experience I outlined.

Do I have proof I didn't get that job because of my age? No, I don't. But you will never convince me otherwise. When I called in to my agency after the interview, they opined I was probably right.

Did it break my heart? No. I had met one of the two lawyers who interviewed me for the job at the closing of another deal some 30 odd years prior when I was working for my first lawyer. I did between 20 and 40 closings a month for more than 30 years, and there were very few lawyers for the other side that I remember, but I remembered this shithead. He's #1 with a bullet. I ended up working for one of the nicest lawyers I've ever met, at a boutique firm with one client - the largest residential developer in North America. For more money.

We all have to admit that if it were us, we'd stay home for free too for as long as we could. And I don't even think the bonus money was still being given. That ended months ago. So these people are just getting the usual $. I think the max is $750 every 2 weeks. $10 x 80 hours is $800. You have to admit, you wouldn't go back to work for $50 if you didn't have to right?

No, we wouldn't. I actually enjoy working on things. I don't wish to be a blob on a couch.

Apparently you do.

No, we wouldn't. I actually enjoy working on things. I don't wish to be a blob on a couch.

Apparently you do.
BULLSHIT. If you made $400 a week at McD or could stay home for $350, you're a fucking liar.

Yes we all enjoy working on things. It's called a hobby stupid.

And I wouldn't have been a blob on a couch. I would have spent a lot more time on my Ebike, up north at the property, on my boat and in the woods walking my dogs..

Bonzi a few years back...applied for a job at a business she has extensive experience in.
* The Front end software they use is the same software she used for 12 years
* Of the list of qualifications they wrote - she literally met every single one of them in spades.
* Educational requirements, she exceeded
*Experience pluses they listed, she literally had them all

So what happened?
They hired a 23 year old right out of college with no experience in a single requirement.
Having said this... the same company listed the same job listing again in less than a year. And even then, they didn't contact Bonzi.

Forum List

Back