Willie Mays passes away at age 93

IMG_5198.jpeg

He was my idol when I was 10. I was the only kid in little league in our town that made basket catches. I just heard him say he wasn't going to be able to attend a big game for the old negro league event where he played. Maybe he knew. He was the greatest! Had they had rotator cuff surgery, I think he would have broken Ruth's record as well. In the final couple of seasons with the Giants, he could not throw overhand from center field. Vin Scully made the comments when he saw that.

He stopped to autograph my Dodger pennant after the Giants beat them in Dodger Stadium back in October of 1962.

Still have it to this day.

The "Say Hey Kid" was one of a kind.

RIP

A man who could legitimately lay claim to the title of Best To Play The Game. Many of his colleagues had that opinion as well. The term legend gets tossed around a lot, but Mays earned that title

One of the all time greats in baseball. Loved watching him play as a kid.
Mays was good, but he was helped out by the NY hype. Clemente was the best. His home run totals were held down by cavernous Forbes Field, a graveyard for home run hitters.

One of the all time greats in baseball. Loved watching him play as a kid.
Willie, rest in peace, but a lot of your fans in heaven will be greeting you because you gave all Americans something to be proud of--excellence in all that you do. Thanks for the glowing performances on and off the field. And thanks for giving children a role model of working hard to be the best. And thanks for the memories of all those excellent hits and plays!!

Way to crap on an American ledgendary ballplayer. By a mod….trolling like rightwinger or Moonglow smh.
Huh? HIS SHARING a picture of young Willie Mays was a gift to the board at USMB, imho. My coach father loved baseball and he knew what hard work playing baseball is as a minor league player and a high school baseball coach.
Mays was good, but he was helped out by use their talents to be the player that he was,the world wouldbe a far better place. the NY hype. Clemente was the best. His home run totals were held down by cavernous Forbes Field, a graveyard for home run hitters.
Mays was a very hard worker and the best that he could be. If only everyone could go at life like Willie Mays did, this would be a better world.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back