Willie Mays passes away at age 93

Willie Mays hit 660 Home Runs despite missing two seasons in his prime to serve in the Military and playing home games in Candlestick Park.

Otherwise, he could have hit 800
Candlestick was a hitter's park. Mays had a better HR rate at Candlestick than at the Polo Grounds, even with its ridiculously short leftfield wall (279 ft.)

Most likely the greatest ball player of my lifetime.

Upon seeing Mays on the Donna Reed Show, he became my younger brother's favorite player and the Giants his favorite team. Mays and McCovey, what a powerhouse.

Mays was basically useless when he retired. I remember when a ball was hit to him in the outfield, he had to toss it to another outfielder to throw it to the infield.

Mays was basically useless when he retired. I remember when a ball was hit to him in the outfield, he had to toss it to another outfielder to throw it to the infield.

Mays was 42 when he retired and had played 23 seasons. If the worst that can be said was that he couldn't make the throw from the outfield to the infield, after 23 seasons, he was a badass.

So from what I've been hearing about Mays (I knew very little) he was the best player to ever play the game. I'm not talking he led every category, more that he was the most talented at every aspect of the game, a true "5 tool player" who had someone else in the league with more HR's or SB' or some other stat but each of them had a flaw in some other part of their game that Mays never had.

Saw some footage of him as a young guy, you could tell that dude was an athlete. All of my memories of him he is long retired and always wearing a suit.

Forum List

Back