Windows 8 Tips and Support

Pressing the F6 and Esc keys simultaneously after restarting causes the system to boot to the alternate OS of Windows 7 (After I select 7 from the 8 bootloader)

OK, that's like the second comparison I gave you. I've actually got mine working that way right now. With a choice from the bootloader but I don't need to press any keys. If I don't choose within a few seconds the bootloader defaults to win8. Otherwise I can choose to go with win7.

But if I select it normally from the bootloader, it will not boot to 7 at all. It will just return to the boot screen. I have to press these keys each time...

Then you've found a workaround. :)

OK, that's like the second comparison I gave you. I've actually got mine working that way right now. With a choice from the bootloader but I don't need to press any keys. If I don't choose within a few seconds the bootloader defaults to win8. Otherwise I can choose to go with win7.

But if I select it normally from the bootloader, it will not boot to 7 at all. It will just return to the boot screen. I have to press these keys each time...

Then you've found a workaround. :)

That works. Thank you for the help! :D

Can any one tell how to use social apps in the window 8 and how to share window 8 apps on the double screen?
Does the screen sharing support on all types of laptops , monitors or tablets?
How to use the function of snapshot and where it saves the snapshot?

Can any one tell how to use social apps in the window 8 and how to share window 8 apps on the double screen?

I don't even know how to do that in Win7 which I have. Now if you wanted to know how in Ubuntu or Mint...... :lol:

I don't know anything about 'screen sharing' as I've never done that Irwin. Windows 8 is less frustrating to me if I just go immediately to desktop - then I use IE or Firefox or whatever is your favorite browser, call up Facebook (or whatever), make a desktop Icon for it, and then it works like it does on any other Windows program.

In other words I try to make Windows 8 as similar to other Windows programs as possible and bypass most of the features unique to Winddows 8.

If you read back over this thread or in the Coffee Shop and a few other places, though, you'll find that I am NOT a fan of Windows 8. :)

I don't know anything about 'screen sharing' as I've never done that Irwin. Windows 8 is less frustrating to me if I just go immediately to desktop - then I use IE or Firefox or whatever is your favorite browser, call up Facebook (or whatever), make a desktop Icon for it, and then it works like it does on any other Windows program.

In other words I try to make Windows 8 as similar to other Windows programs as possible and bypass most of the features unique to Winddows 8.

If you read back over this thread or in the Coffee Shop and a few other places, though, you'll find that I am NOT a fan of Windows 8. :)

I am not a fan of the "Modern" (or Metro) interface. But I really have no issue at all with Windows 8. It's stable and easy on resources. It actually does better with RAM and CPU than Windows 7.

For snapshots. the Snipping Tool is still there, just hard to find. Do a search for Snipping and you'll find it. It works the same as it has since Vista.

Screen "sharing," I will assume means dual monitors or projectors. This is a bit more tricky, since the video driver, rather than Windows handles it. With NVidia and AMD - this is pretty easy, and is identical to the Windows 7 method - right click on the desk top and bring up the NVidia or AMD interface.

The onboard Intel driver can get tricky, as the interface is inconsistent. But generally a little digging will bring up the ability to extend or duplicate the desktop.

This past Sunday morning I booted up my machine and attempted to log into Window's 8. I got an error message "user profile service failed the logon". What the heck? I can't get into my own computer.

Using my phone, I google the error message. The most common solution is to log in using some other profile on the computer and once in, fix the user profile. I'm the only user on this computer, so I still can't get in.

There are a few help sites that talk about booting in safe mode, and all of them say the same thing hold down the shift key and pound on the F8 key like an OCD madman and you may get it to boot in safe mode. Part of the problem with Windows 8 is that it boots so fast this trick is hard to accomplish. I've got the intel i5 processor and 12 gigs of ram. After numerous shutdowns and restarts I cannot get the computer to boot into safe mode.

I do a little more google searching and finally run across some techie website where a guy explains how to get a Windows 8 machine to boot into safe mode. I am not personally recommending this method, but it was the trick that finally worked for me.
His solution---- power on the computer and as it is booting up hard-power it off, repeat about this action 3 or 4 times. Then do a normal power on without interrupting the boot up process. Windows 8 is now ticked off at you, so it will only boot in safe mode. Which then allowed me to fix the problem with my computer.

This past Sunday morning I booted up my machine and attempted to log into Window's 8. I got an error message "user profile service failed the logon". What the heck? I can't get into my own computer.

Using my phone, I google the error message. The most common solution is to log in using some other profile on the computer and once in, fix the user profile. I'm the only user on this computer, so I still can't get in.

There are a few help sites that talk about booting in safe mode, and all of them say the same thing hold down the shift key and pound on the F8 key like an OCD madman and you may get it to boot in safe mode. Part of the problem with Windows 8 is that it boots so fast this trick is hard to accomplish. I've got the intel i5 processor and 12 gigs of ram. After numerous shutdowns and restarts I cannot get the computer to boot into safe mode.

I do a little more google searching and finally run across some techie website where a guy explains how to get a Windows 8 machine to boot into safe mode. I am not personally recommending this method, but it was the trick that finally worked for me.
His solution---- power on the computer and as it is booting up hard-power it off, repeat about this action 3 or 4 times. Then do a normal power on without interrupting the boot up process. Windows 8 is now ticked off at you, so it will only boot in safe mode. Which then allowed me to fix the problem with my computer.

In the future use a different key to boot into safe mode.Your friend put you in the right direction - but maybe the wrong path. Not every brand of computer uses F8. Some use F5.
Also you hit the key several times as soon as you power up.
Try googling your brand and model for the correct alternate boot key.
Also - just sayin'...Windows 8 does not "boot up so fast it misses the key". Your computer has what is called a BIOS..it is the hardware's operating system, it has to boot up before Windows does. The computer tech who told you to hardcrash the computer 3 times is a poor excuse for a tech. That activates Windows "fail safe" mode. This is a bad-bad way to get to safe mode. Doing this over and over while the boot loader is active might corrupt the loader - and then you will have nothing.

I found a way to (re-)boot in the save mode easily if you can run the normal mode.
Press WIN+R to open the Run commmand and run shutdown.exe /o /r /f /t 00. Looks like this:

1iw0.jpg

A menu appears, choose Troubleshoot -> Avanced options -> Startup Settings -> Restart.

Another menu appears, select the safe mode you want to launch.

After using it for more than a year now, I can say I've made my peace with Windows 8. I have one of those artificially created start buttons on the computer but never use it as I now just automatically access everything as I need it. And there are features of Windows 8 that I really like and feel mildly annoyed when I don't have them on other computers. In fact I now prefer Windows 8 on my desktop PC over Windows 7 that I have on my laptop. Windows 7 has actually given me more problems than Windows 8. But it definitely has been a learning curve.

Sigh, and Windows just abandoned 8.1 like they did XP. They're forcing updates on people too. And next year comes Windows 9. We're doomed. I am seriously thinking about moving to Linux.

Sigh, and Windows just abandoned 8.1 like they did XP. They're forcing updates on people too. And next year comes Windows 9. We're doomed. I am seriously thinking about moving to Linux.

What are you talking about?

Abandoned in what way? XP is 13 years old, it is a dead OS. Windows 7, 8, 8.1 all have full support.

I like Linux. I have Ubuntu installed on several machines. BUT if you think you are going to get even the support you get for XP with Linux, you're nuts.

What are you talking about?

Abandoned in what way? XP is 13 years old, it is a dead OS. Windows 7, 8, 8.1 all have full support.

I like Linux. I have Ubuntu installed on several machines. BUT if you think you are going to get even the support you get for XP with Linux, you're nuts.

Yes. We will have support for Windows 7 and beyond through at east 2020. Even Vista has three more years support guaranteed. And we all have to upgrade periodically anyway to get the best software to work.

After using it for more than a year now, I can say I've made my peace with Windows 8. I have one of those artificially created start buttons on the computer but never use it as I now just automatically access everything as I need it. And there are features of Windows 8 that I really like and feel mildly annoyed when I don't have them on other computers. In fact I now prefer Windows 8 on my desktop PC over Windows 7 that I have on my laptop. Windows 7 has actually given me more problems than Windows 8. But it definitely has been a learning curve.

Yeah, learning curve....... Just bought the wife a new laptop with 8.1 on it....... She has to learn it for work but I will either wait to see if M$ has learned it's lesson from 8 and offers a 7 like interface sans all the crap on 8 for a large portion of their customers who have made it plain we HATE 8 or just buy a version of 7 (download the drivers I need) and replace 8.........
I have to learn it to configure it for her........ I forgot how much I hated 8 from when I consumer beta tested it...... :evil:

This is my Windows 8.1 Tool Bundle. Its for Windows 8.1, some tools will not work with Windows 8. This is what it contains.

Tools:

Startisback+
- Adds a Startmenu that is similar to the Windows 7 Startmenu but with extended functionality. Its also possible to disable Modern UI features. A regfile is attached.

OldnewExplorer
- Allows the customization of the Windows Explorer. Folders can be removed from This PC e.g.

XSubst

- Allows the customization of the Windows Explorer. Any folders can be arranged as drives.

Ultimate Windows Tweaker
- Allows to change various Windows settings. For example, the User Account Control can be deactivated.

OblyTile

- Allows to create user defined tiles with specific targets (folders, files).

UserListEnabler
- If more than one account is created this tool allows Windows to boot into the log screen.

Vista Shortcut Manager / FX Visor

- Customize or remove the shortcut arrows.

Aero Glass for Windows 8.1

- Enriches Windows 8.1 by the Aero Glass effect known from Windows Vista and Windows 7. Shipped without watermark and popup.

Languages:

Language Pack German
- A German language pack for offline installations.

Commands:

Net Framework 3.5 Installation
- A command for the setup of Net. 3.5 from the Windows 8.1 DVD.

Save Mode
- Reboot to safe mode via this command.

Thin Borders
- Regfile, that makes the windows borders thin.

Games Explorer
- Shortcut to the Games Explorer.

Theme:

Snowy 8
- Theme, that is inspired by the Windows 8/8.1 themes but looks far better and modern.

Download: (115 MB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!CoxSEAQA!IQ-XP2I7DxP9gPqp_eFfqZz3v7mkgYUhUleqSOQ9sdc

xiutl4ks.jpg

View my original thread:
Windows 8.1 Toolsammlung

This is my Windows 8.1 Tool Bundle. Its for Windows 8.1, some tools will not work with Windows 8. This is what it contains.

Tools:

Startisback+
- Adds a Startmenu that is similar to the Windows 7 Startmenu but with extended functionality. Its also possible to disable Modern UI features. A regfile is attached.

OldnewExplorer
- Allows the customization of the Windows Explorer. Folders can be removed from This PC e.g.

XSubst

- Allows the customization of the Windows Explorer. Any folders can be arranged as drives.

Ultimate Windows Tweaker
- Allows to change various Windows settings. For example, the User Account Control can be deactivated.

OblyTile

UserListEnabler
- If more than one account is created this tool allows Windows to boot into the log screen.

- Enriches Windows 8.1 by the Aero Glass effect known from Windows Vista and Windows 7. Shipped without watermark and popup.

Languages:

Language Pack German

Commands:

Save Mode

Thin Borders

Games Explorer

Theme:

Snowy 8
- Theme, that is inspired by the Windows 8/8.1 themes but looks far better and modern.

xiutl4ks.jpg

View my original thread:
Windows 8.1 Toolsammlung

:lol::lol::lol:
All that just to return the OS to a usable state.
Hilarious.
And people say Linux is a pain to get to work....:lol:

Tools:

Startisback+

OldnewExplorer

XSubst

Ultimate Windows Tweaker

OblyTile

UserListEnabler

Languages:

Language Pack German

Commands:

Save Mode

Thin Borders

Games Explorer

Theme:

Snowy 8

xiutl4ks.jpg

View my original thread:
Windows 8.1 Toolsammlung

Hilarious.
The Startmenu alone does the whole job. The rest are additional functions or cosmetic.

Tools:

Startisback+

OldnewExplorer

XSubst

Ultimate Windows Tweaker

OblyTile

UserListEnabler

Languages:

Language Pack German

Commands:

Save Mode

Thin Borders

Games Explorer

Theme:

Snowy 8

xiutl4ks.jpg

View my original thread:
Windows 8.1 Toolsammlung

Hilarious.

Well I haven't done ANY of that stuff and Windows 8.1 has been working just fine for me, has been more stable with fewer freeze ups and other such problems than Windows 7, and I have finally learned to make peace with it and am enjoying some of its more innovative features--and this is a desk top PC we're talking about. I did install a start button many months ago but never use it as I now automatically use Windows 8.1 as it was intended. In fact I am somewhat irked when I use Windows 7 on my lap top and forget that it can't do some of the things that Windows 8 does and it is mildly annoying.

Tools:

Startisback+

OldnewExplorer

XSubst

Ultimate Windows Tweaker

OblyTile

UserListEnabler

Languages:

Language Pack German

Commands:

Save Mode

Thin Borders

Games Explorer

Theme:

Snowy 8

xiutl4ks.jpg

View my original thread:
Windows 8.1 Toolsammlung

Hilarious.

Well I haven't done ANY of that stuff and Windows 8.1 has been working just fine for me, has been more stable with fewer freeze ups and other such problems than Windows 7, and I have finally learned to make peace with it and am enjoying some of its more innovative features--and this is a desk top PC we're talking about. I did install a start button many months ago but never use it as I now automatically use Windows 8.1 as it was intended. In fact I am somewhat irked when I use Windows 7 on my lap top and forget that it can't do some of the things that Windows 8 does and it is mildly annoying.
Windows 8.1 has a start button already.

Hilarious.

Windows 8.1 has a start button already.

Does it? LOL. I haven't even checked to see what happened to the start button when I upgraded from Win 8 to 8.1--MS offered us the chance to do that free so I did. But I haven't looked at the start button for at least six months--haven't needed it.

Forum List

Back