With their new-found post-election confidence, what are the odds the GOP will Impeach Obama?

With their new-found post-election confidence, what are the odds the GOP will Impeach Obama?

• 25%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 33 1/3 %

• 66 2/3%

• 75%

• 90% (or greater)

• Don't Know/Unsure

• Total voters

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
There's an old saying that I'm sure everyone has heard before. It's this: Might makes right! Obviously, that's not really true. However, what IS true is that when people have power, they often feel emboldened to do something they really WANT to do that they otherwise might not do if they didn't think they could make it stick or even get away with doing if circumstances were different.

With that said, it's no secret that many on the right have been crying about Impeaching Obama for years. But it was mostly seen as a pipe dream for a whole host of reasons. However, despite the wisdom (or lack, thereof) of such a move, the election has changed the numbers in both the House of Representatives AND the US Senate in the Republicans' favor. Previously, even if the Republican House had voted to Impeach the president for what were generally considered issues that did not rise to the level of high crimes and/or misdemeanors, Impeachment was still theoretically possible due to the Republican majority in the House. And after all, Impeachment is essentially a political move. But the general consensus is that it would serve no purpose if it was a foregone conclusion that the Senate would acquit President Obama because the Democrats held the majority in the Senate.

But that's all changed now with the midterm elections. So, the question is this: Without regard to the wisdom of the move, and without getting bogged down on whether or not the Senate would actually convict President Obama of a specific crime or crimes, what are the odds that the Republican-led House will file articles of Impeachment against President Obama in the next year or so?

You know, it was 8 years ago liberals like you were screaming for Bush's impeachment. Yeah sure, and you act as if your shit doesn't stink.

Zero there will be a few who might try to push it but beyond that nothing will happen.

There is very little chance of this happening. Sure some will still squawk about impeachment but the GOP leadership doesn't want to spend their politically capital on a silly cause.

There's an old saying that I'm sure everyone has heard before. It's this: Might makes right! Obviously, that's not really true. However, what IS true is that when people have power, they often feel emboldened to do something they really WANT to do that they otherwise might not do if they didn't think they could make it stick or even get away with doing if circumstances were different.

With that said, it's no secret that many on the right have been crying about Impeaching Obama for years. But it was mostly seen as a pipe dream for a whole host of reasons. However, despite the wisdom (or lack, thereof) of such a move, the election has changed the numbers in both the House of Representatives AND the US Senate in the Republicans' favor. Previously, even if the Republican House had voted to Impeach the president for what were generally considered issues that did not rise to the level of high crimes and/or misdemeanors, Impeachment was still theoretically possible due to the Republican majority in the House. And after all, Impeachment is essentially a political move. But the general consensus is that it would serve no purpose if it was a foregone conclusion that the Senate would acquit President Obama because the Democrats held the majority in the Senate.

But that's all changed now with the midterm elections. So, the question is this: Without regard to the wisdom of the move, and without getting bogged down on whether or not the Senate would actually convict President Obama of a specific crime or crimes, what are the odds that the Republican-led House will file articles of Impeachment against President Obama in the next year or so?
The House could impeach now, there's nothing stopping them; President Clinton was impeached December 19th, 1998, shortly after republicans knew they'd retained both the House and Senate after that year's Midterms.

What we do no is that Bill Clinton, Republicans swore they were not interested in impeachment prior to the election. They brought him up on charges as soon as the new congress took over

Will this new breed be able to resist the temptation?

I doubt it

Zero, but your op is funny. You post as if you're trying to help the GOP not do what the liberals are claiming they'll do.

Zero, but your op is funny. You post as if you're trying to help the GOP not do what the liberals are claiming they'll do.

Whatever the actually chances may turn out to be, I would personally never bet that it's zero. At least not in this particular political climate where the GOP as a whole is further to the right than it's been in at least several decades. And even back then, conservative Republicans were not in the majority.

He's a lame duck and very advantageous to the Republicans. However, if one of the myriad of scandals, which are really going to be investigated by both houses now, lead directly to O, all bets are off.

It would be the best gift the GOP could give the Democrats at the best possible time for them, but I still doubt they'd do it.

They'll impeach him if Fox thinks it'll get good ratings and the GOP thinks it will fire up the base.

But definitely not because they're interested in improving America or governing or anything like that.

They'll impeach him if Fox thinks it'll get good ratings and the GOP thinks it will fire up the base.

But definitely not because they're interested in improving America or governing or anything like that.

Well, I have to admit that firing up the base seems to be pretty much a full time activity. However, such a clamor has all the potential to backfire in a big way in 2016 with the general electorate. But since when did common sense ever intrude itself upon a partisan witch hunt when the political sharks smell blood in he water?

Whatever the actually chances may turn out to be, I would personally never bet that it's zero. At least not in this particular political climate where the GOP as a whole is further to the right than it's been in at least several decades. And even back then, conservative Republicans were not in the majority.

I did say zero, but may have to reconsider my vote based on this.

"During the presidency of George W. Bush, several American politicians sought to either investigate Bush for allegedly impeachable offenses, or to bring actual impeachment charges on the floor of the United States House of Representatives Judiciary Committee. The most significant of these efforts occurred on June 10, 2008, when Congressman Dennis Kucinich, along with co-sponsor Robert Wexler, introduced 35 articles of impeachment against Bush to the U.S. House of Representatives. The House voted 251 to 166 to refer the impeachment resolution to the Judiciary Committee on June 11, where no further action was taken on it. Bush's presidency ended on January 20, 2009, with the completion of his second term in office, rendering impeachment efforts moot.?"

I did say zero, but may have to reconsider my vote based on this.

"During the presidency of George W. Bush, several American politicians sought to either investigate Bush for allegedly impeachable offenses, or to bring actual impeachment charges on the floor of the United States House of Representatives Judiciary Committee. The most significant of these efforts occurred on June 10, 2008, when Congressman Dennis Kucinich, along with co-sponsor Robert Wexler, introduced 35 articles of impeachment against Bush to the U.S. House of Representatives. The House voted 251 to 166 to refer the impeachment resolution to the Judiciary Committee on June 11, where no further action was taken on it. Bush's presidency ended on January 20, 2009, with the completion of his second term in office, rendering impeachment efforts moot.?"

Figures it would be prog darlings Kucinich and Wexler.

Forum List

Back