Words of Jesus

Meriweather

Not all who wander are lost
Oct 21, 2014
Which words of Jesus may have had a great impact on you? Which have not had much impact? Are there some of with which you disagree?

"You are the salt of the earth" has always meant a lot to me.

the 1st century religious itinerant left nothing of their own recording to verify anything future accreditation of them could be verified by. knowing the spoken and prescribed religion of antiquity is all that matters for admission to the Everlasting - already known to humanity.

and their untimely death that otherwise might have made for a time for transcribed reflection of their own making - - surly words no christian would care to hear.

Truly, truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh and drink the blood of the Son of Man, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day, flesh is real food, and my blood is real drink.

Which words of Jesus may have had a great impact on you? Which have not had much impact? Are there some of with which you disagree?
His words are sublime but it's His actions which moved me.

Jesus wept.
The passion of the cross.

I am most moved by the Stations of the Cross and Communion.

O ungodly and disobedient one, what hurt have the pools done thee that thou hast emptied them? Thou shalt not finish thy course, and thou shalt be withered up even as the branch which thou hast in hand.

Thou shalt not finish thy course.

Both were said right before he killed children.
Those quotes stick with me to this day.

O ungodly and disobedient one, what hurt have the pools done thee that thou hast emptied them? Thou shalt not finish thy course, and thou shalt be withered up even as the branch which thou hast in hand.

Thou shalt not finish thy course.

You should read Thomas Sowell's commentary on constrained and unconstrained worldviews to gain insight into why you see things the way you do. You definitely fit the unconstrained worldview model.

If I recall correctly, your quote is from the Infancy Gospel of Thomas? It was written by Gnostics sometime in the second century A.D.

Are you Gnostic?

Yes, that is correct.
No sir.
The reason I ask is because Gnostics and Christians had very different beliefs. The Gospel of Thomas reflects the Gnostic belief that everything physical is evil; all goodness is spirit. Therefore, according to Gnostic tradition, everything physical about Jesus had to be evil, but his spirit is good.

Even very early Christians saw the irony in something entitled The Gospel of Thomas. (Gospel means good news, and there was no good news in The Gospel of Thomas. The Thomas who wrote this account over a hundred years after the Apostles was Gnostic.) I haven't delved much into Gnosticism, so I was wondering if you were able to shed a little light on it.

“All things therefore whatsoever you would that men should do to you, do you also to them. For this is the law and the prophets." - Matthew 7:12

“All things therefore whatsoever you would that men should do to you, do you also to them. For this is the law and the prophets." - Matthew 7:12
I especially like this one because it unites (or is at least is a bridge to) both Bible Testaments.

I especially like this one because it unites (or is at least is a bridge to) both Bible Testaments.

It's the most important passage in The Bible, imo.

The Gospel of Thomas reflects the Gnostic belief that everything physical is evil; all goodness is spirit
What about Genesis Meriweather?

Genesis 3:17
And unto Adam He said: 'Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying: Thou shalt not eat of it; cursed is the ground for thy sake; in toil shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life.

The Gospel of Thomas reflects the Gnostic belief that everything physical is evil; all goodness is spirit

And unto Adam He said: 'Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying: Thou shalt not eat of it; cursed is the ground for thy sake; in toil shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life.
surly a christian forgery, no mention though the fate of humanity being the same - for their "sin".

surly a christian forgery, no mention though the fate of humanity being the same - for their "sin".
No not a forgery BreezeWood.
I take Adam and Eve allegorically, so to me it is mankind the story represents.

by what religion is it allegorical - that passage as noted did not include humanity - the overall christian passage is incomplete at best by their rendering of complicity for the action of others to be born by the innocent they refuse to acknowledge without sin for whatever reason. whether unintended or accomplished, innocence or purity as the goal for the individuals remission by their own accord as the correct religion for redemption.

there's is a messiah that accomplishes their goals for them that is a contradiction for their version of accountability exacted directly to those two - adam and eve who chose for themselves the action they took.

None of you can repeat what you think he said because it is said in the bible. The bible was written approximately 70 years after this death. His apostles were illiterate and would have been dead before it was written. There is no written evidence of one word he supposedly uttered. In fact, his education was the same as his apostles, none.

So let's not speak on gods behalf because you are not. You are quoting the bible and in no way could the authors quoted him.

"Cursed be the ground because of you. What Adam did had an effect on the earth.

Forum List

Back