Working at 76: Inflation forces hard choice for older adults

Lenore Angey never imagined she'd have to go back to work at age 76.

With an ailing husband and the highest prices she can remember for everything from milk to gasoline, the retired school lunch worker from Cleveland, Ohio, now works part time as a salesperson at a local department store to cover the costs of food and medicine.

“The holidays are going to be tough, and it's not just for seniors,” said Angey, who said she was happy to get an extra 10 hours a week during the busy shopping season. “Luckily my daughter-in-law did all the cooking for Thanksgiving and I brought a few dishes. But the Christmas celebration will definitely be more modest.”

Thank the shithead Democrats for this, all the while they give billions to foreign Countries.:bang3::bang3::bang3:
Look, this needs to stop.

It’s true that prices as measured by the CPI-U in November this year were 7.1 percent higher than a year earlier.

But if we look at the five months that we have just experienced (July through November), the bigger news is really how much the rate of inflation has been coming down.

For these five months, annualized inflation has been just 2.5 percent. Just to be clear: that 2.5 percent is not the increase in prices over these five months (July through November). It’s the increase in prices that we would have if this inflation over five months continued for a year.
I know you guys are partisans, screaming about inflation and blaming it on Biden. But like I said, it needs to stop. That last Fed rate hike was overkill, and another one will be the straw that breaks the camel's back, leading to a recession. I mean I know no one will read the linked article, but the quoted part clearly states that if inflation continues at the rate it has been over the last five months for a year it would be a 2.5%, the Fed's target inflation rate is 2%.

Wages for lower-paid workers rose faster than inflation; workers in the hotel and restaurant sector (production and nonsupervisory) saw their wages rise by 3.8 percent more than inflation since the pandemic began.

And importantly, over the past five months, wages for all production and nonsupervisory workers have risen at a 4.1 percent annualized rate.

Over the last five months all production and nonsupervisory workers have seen their incomes increase by 1.6% over the inflation rate. At the US median income of seventy grand that is $87 more a month in buying power, over a grand a year.

Look, I know most of you Trump supporters are living off your disability check, and I can empathize with retirees living on Social Security, but both groups are getting ready to get the biggest COLA in more than forty years. But I honestly believe you guys are not seeing the big picture here. I am making more money now than at any point in my life. I filled my gas tank up at $2.47 a gallon today. I am looking to get a new TV, they are dirt damn cheap. And groceries, learn to shop the specials, clip coupons, go to Dollar General and hold them accountable to posted prices.

Lose everything, just biden voters?
How are trump voters doing better than biden voters?
Everyone is losing... look at food prices... some of us may be able to absorb the costs but many won't... especially the elderly fixed income folks and the youth just trying to make their way... many in both groups voted for Biden.... so enjoy!!!!

Everyone is losing... look at food prices... some of us may be able to absorb the costs but many won't... especially the elderly fixed income folks and the youth just trying to make their way... many in both groups voted for Biden.... so enjoy!!!!
Yes, border crossings is on Biden, even though it has constantly been a problem for DECADES, but YES, biden and Harris could do a much better job.

Inflation, NOT Biden's fault.
Tell us again the policies enacted by biden that have affected inflation.
Or even tell us a policy that biden didn't do that would have curbed this WW inflation.

Yes, border crossings is on Biden, even though it has constantly been a problem for DECADES, but YES, biden and Harris could do a much better job.

Inflation, NOT Biden's fault.
Tell us again the policies enacted by biden that have affected inflation.
Or even tell us a policy that biden didn't do that would have curbed this WW inflation.

There's that word again: "Worldwide."

Stop saying inflation is "worldwide." You're not only spreading disinformation, it makes you sound uninformed. Our inflation rate is 7.1%, now explain these "worldwide" inflation rates:

Bahrain - 3.5%
Benin - 5%
Bolivia - 3.2%
Brunei - 2.5%
Cambodia - 5.2%
China - 2.2%
Ecuador - 3.2%
Eswatini - 4.9%
Fiji - 4.7%
France - 5.8%
Gabon - 3.5%
Grenada- 4.5%
Hong Kong - 1.9%
Indonesia - 4.6%
Israel - 4.5%
Japan - 2%
Kuwait - 4.3%
Libya - 5.5%
Macao - 2.5%
Maldives - 4.3%
Micronesia - 5.8%
Nauru - 2%
Niger - 4.5%
Norway - 4.7%
Oman - 3.1%
Panama - 3.9%
Philippines - 5.3%
Puerto Rico - 4.4%
Qatar - 4.5%
Saudi Arabia - 2.7%
Seychelles - 4.1%
Singapore - 5.5%
Solomon Islands - 3.7%
Switzerland - 3.1%
Taiwan - 3.1%
Trinidad - 5%
United Arab Emirates - 5.2%
Vanuatu - 4.6%
Vietnam - 3.8%

https://www.imf.org/external/datama...R/PAN/PHL/PRI/SYC/SLB/CHE/TWN/TTO/ARE/VUT/VNM

When is the last time you went dumpster diving to eat?
There are other hardships other than dumpster diving. But thanks to people like you who voted for Biden, many more than otherwise are about to feel it for themselves.

There's that word again: "Worldwide."

Stop saying inflation is "worldwide." You're not only spreading disinformation, it makes you sound uninformed. Our inflation rate is 7.1%, now explain these "worldwide" inflation rates:

Bahrain - 3.5%
Benin - 5%
Bolivia - 3.2%
Brunei - 2.5%
Cambodia - 5.2%
China - 2.2%
Ecuador - 3.2%
Eswatini - 4.9%
Fiji - 4.7%
France - 5.8%
Gabon - 3.5%
Grenada- 4.5%
Hong Kong - 1.9%
Indonesia - 4.6%
Israel - 4.5%
Japan - 2%
Kuwait - 4.3%
Libya - 5.5%
Macao - 2.5%
Maldives - 4.3%
Micronesia - 5.8%
Nauru - 2%
Niger - 4.5%
Norway - 4.7%
Oman - 3.1%
Panama - 3.9%
Philippines - 5.3%
Puerto Rico - 4.4%
Qatar - 4.5%
Saudi Arabia - 2.7%
Seychelles - 4.1%
Singapore - 5.5%
Solomon Islands - 3.7%
Switzerland - 3.1%
Taiwan - 3.1%
Trinidad - 5%
United Arab Emirates - 5.2%
Vanuatu - 4.6%
Vietnam - 3.8%

https://www.imf.org/external/datama...R/PAN/PHL/PRI/SYC/SLB/CHE/TWN/TTO/ARE/VUT/VNM
Trump - or whoever is manipulating him - is working in OPPOSITION to the Fed, who are trying to slow inflation. Biden is working to pump more money into the economy by handing it out to those he single-handedly picks.

I am retired.

Since the massive Potatohead inflation I had to increase my monthly income $1K/month to keep the buying power of my retirement income steady.

Fortunately I have the ability to increase my retirement income but unfortunately most retired Americans can't do it. That is why we see them having to go back to work at an advance age.

There were significant consequences to letting Pottohead get away with stealing the election. His massive inflation is a cruel tax on Americans. Anybody that voted for Potatohead is an idiot.

I am retired.

Since the massive Potatohead inflation I had to increase my monthly income $1K/month to keep the buying power of my retirement income steady.

Fortunately I have the ability to increase my retirement income but unfortunately most retired Americans can't do it. That is why we see them having to go back to work at an advance age.

There were significant consequences to letting Pottohead get away with stealing the election. His massive inflation is a cruel tax on Americans. Anybody that voted for Potatohead is an idiot.
I’m in the same boat. Inflation has driven my costs up by around $1k a month, and my means of “increasing” my retirement income is simply withdrawing more from my IRA.

Retirees who were working-class, modest income earners all their lives - as are most Americans - do not have enough of a savings cushion to do that. I spoke with someone last week who told me she had been retired to 7 years and just this fall took a job as a cashier at a grocery store.

It’s really sad what Biden is doing to these people.

I’m in the same boat. Inflation has driven my costs up by around $1k a month, and my means of “increasing” my retirement income is simply withdrawing more from my IRA.

Retirees who were working-class, modest income earners all their lives - as are most Americans - do not have enough of a savings cushion to do that. I spoke with someone last week who told me she had been retired to 7 years and just this fall took a job as a cashier at a grocery store.

It’s really sad what Biden is doing to these people.
In your case and mine Potatohead is robbing our children and grandchildren of their inheritance. However, he is robbing many other American retirees of their financial security.

Anybody that voted for Potatohead is an idiot.

So how can this be fixed? What would be the plan? Drill more? I'm on board but not one drop of the oil drilled here goes overseas.

In your case and mine Potatohead is robbing our children and grandchildren of their inheritance. However, he is robbing many other American retirees of their financial security.

Anybody that voted for Potatohead is an idiot.
Agree. It shows what extensive damage the FBI’s collusion with Twitter to censor speech did. If Republicans hasn’t been silenced, Trump would be president - and the border would still be secure, there would be no Russian war against Ukraine, the inflation rate would be more moderate, and the stock market wouldn’t have lost a third its value. Retirees wouldn’t have to take jobs. People wouldn’t have to struggle to fill their gas tanks. We would have more people working.

Censorship is an evil thing when the government works to enact it.

In most cases, the shelves aren't empty because of shortages. It's because everything is under lock and key.

Agree. It shows what extensive damage the FBI’s collusion with Twitter to censor speech did. If Republicans hasn’t been silenced, Trump would be president - and the border would still be secure, there would be no Russian war against Ukraine, the inflation rate would be more moderate, and the stock market wouldn’t have lost a third its value. Retirees wouldn’t have to take jobs. People wouldn’t have to struggle to fill their gas tanks. We would have more people working.

Censorship is an evil thing when the government works to enact it.
You had me until the more people working garbage. People are working and harder and longer than ever.

You had me until the more people working garbage. People are working and harder and longer than ever.
No they’re not. Businesses can’t staff up because people would rather stay home on the expanded welfare.

With an ailing husband and the highest prices she can remember for everything from milk to gasoline, the retired school lunch worker from Cleveland, Ohio, now works part time as a salesperson at a local department store to cover the costs of food and medicine.

“The holidays are going to be tough, and it's not just for seniors,” said Angey, who said she was happy to get an extra 10 hours a week during the busy shopping season. “Luckily my daughter-in-law did all the cooking for Thanksgiving and I brought a few dishes. But the Christmas celebration will definitely be more modest.”

Thank the shithead Democrats for this, all the while they give billions to foreign Countries.:bang3::bang3::bang3:

It's not just seniors. The last two years have been rough on the working class also.

Biden and the Dems have been a shit show

What expanded welfare are you referring to?

It was the "Great Resignation." Millions of people retired, found part-time jobs, side jobs, hustles, are living off their 401k or other investments, just stayed at home while their partners worked. What few jobs the Democrats keep crowing about means nothing with the labor force participation rate is as low as it is.

Civilian labor force participation rate

labor force.jpg

This is what happens when one ignores their corrupt Gov't for way too long and decides to whistle past the graveyard and cling to a false hope that things will get better, while sitting on their hands.

They've run outta' time in a race to the bottom and discovered that their strategy turned out to be a zero-sum game.

It was the "Great Resignation." Millions of people retired, found part-time jobs, side jobs, hustles, are living off their 401k or other investments, just stayed at home while their partners worked. What few jobs the Democrats keep crowing about means nothing with the labor force participation rate is as low as it is.

Civilian labor force participation rate

View attachment 739868
So if they are making it work, I COMMEND them for retiring. A few people retiring had zero to do with problems we have. To heck with their employers.

Forum List

Back