Worldwide impact of Jesus

The two largest religions are Christianity and Islam, and both lay claim to him in one way or another.
Yes, but Islam isn't centered around Jesus, it's centered around a war mongering pedophile named Muhammad.

Now, now, this is not a thread to bash Mohammad.

Speaking of which, I would have to think that Jesus had more of an impact since Mohammad purported to be a following of Jesus.
I know, it's just such an easy target I can't help it. :lol: Muhammad didn't learn much, did he?

And no, to answer the OP. No one has done more for the world than Jesus has.

How has Jesus changed the world?

Is it for the better or other?

same as it ever was.

Jesus said that 'this generation', meaning the generation of error, would persist until his return. Until then or unless people finally understand what he taught the first time around, and do it, I supposed one could reasonably expect the same old shit.

This Christmas day, I began to wonder. How influential has Jesus become to the world?

My first thought to answer after reading the responses was "Not very much". My reason for this is that most of what has defined Christianity for two millennia has very little to do with Jesus. It has a lot to do with Paul and later church fathers. Just look at the responses in this and other threads. Whatever positive lasting influence he had was as a philosopher preaching a message of mutual caring which was not unique to him.

To be fair, almost all of the horrendous things done in the name of Jesus have no connection to anything he taught. That shame devolves on his followers.

Is there anyone comparable?

Well, yes. Many have commented that the Sermon on the Mount, which is usually taken as the most definitive statement of Jesus' teaching, is certainly not unique. It's simply ignorance that causes people to assume that without Christianity there is no ethics. The sixth century BCE had a flowering of ethical thought. In addition to the formation of Judaism out of existing Hebrew religion, there was the teachings of Buddha, Lao Tsu, Confucius, and their followers and commentators. Debating who is greatest is just silly parochialism. Claiming there is no other basis than Christianity on which to form a moral compass and guide to behavior is ignorance.

For what it's worth, I've been Taoist for forty years so I really don't have a dog in the fight.

Forum List

Back