Would you pay $1,500 for chicken sandwich?

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
From an online post by Cato Institute researcher and editor Chelsea German, Sept. 25:
What would life be like without exchange or trade?
Recently, a man decided to make a sandwich from scratch.
He grew the vegetables, gathered salt from seawater, milked a cow, turned the milk into cheese, pickled a cucumber in a jar, ground his own flour from wheat to make the bread, collected his own honey, and personally killed a chicken for its meat.
This month, he published the results of his endeavor in an enlightening video:
making a sandwich entirely by himself cost him 6 months of his life and set him back $1,500. . .
The inefficiency of making even something as humble as a sandwich by oneself,
without the benefits of market exchange, is simply mind-boggling.
There was a time when everyone grew their own food and made their own clothes.
It was a time of unimaginable poverty and labor without rest.
$1,500 Sandwich Illustrates How Exchange Raises Living Standards

So when you grossly ignorant people primarily FFOs that have no idea where the meat comes from
for the McDonald's chicken now comprehend WHY the concept of a business that exists because of the desire to earn a profit from selling a chicken sandwich has made Western civilization the envy of the
rest of the uncivilized world?

You people that continually bash capitalism, businesses, i.e. like Obama does, do you finally understand
why you are able to sit at a computer munching on a sandwich that cost less then $2.00 that took little or
no effort for you to eat?
Maybe for the first time you'll recognize that your current life style is totally dependent on that evil concept ...capitalism!!!

From an online post by Cato Institute researcher and editor Chelsea German, Sept. 25:
He grew the vegetables, gathered salt from seawater, milked a cow, turned the milk into cheese, pickled a cucumber in a jar, ground his own flour from wheat to make the bread, collected his own honey, and personally killed a chicken for its meat.
making a sandwich entirely by himself cost him 6 months of his life and set him back $1,500. . .

So when you grossly ignorant people primarily FFOs that have no idea where the meat comes from
for the McDonald's chicken now comprehend WHY the concept of a business that exists because of the desire to earn a profit from selling a chicken sandwich has made Western civilization the envy of the

You people that continually bash capitalism, businesses, i.e. like Obama does, do you finally understand
why you are able to sit at a computer munching on a sandwich that cost less then $2.00 that took little or
Maybe for the first time you'll recognize that your current life style is totally dependent on that evil concept ...capitalism!!!

Make mine for about $10 hunting the game at wal-mart, the bread from the bread aisle, etc. :) I'm more efficient than this man. :)

Make mine for about $10 hunting the game at wal-mart, the bread from the bread aisle, etc. :) I'm more efficient than this man. :)

How did you get to Wal-mart?
How did the bread get to Wal-mart from the bakery?
How did the flour get to the bakery.
How did the wheat get to the mill that provided the floor.
And that's just the bread.
Again... make the bread yourself. Raise the meat yourself. Butcher the meat. that is the point.
Profit in all the links make it possible you can have the sandwich for less the $1.00.

you might gripe about a 1500 dollar chicken sandwich

but think about the chicken

he gave his life

What a ridiculous study.

When people live self sufficiently they don't pickle one cucumber. They produce in quantity, which means they eat a sandwich everyday. Just likewe get to for working 60 years at some ccrazy obtuse garbage.

Oh yeah, I'm sure he worked all day every day to get that salt and cucumber. Why, milking the cow alone must have taken two months and cost about 800 dollars.

What a ****. He's just one of those ***** who really enjoy his job.

I just made a chicken sandwich from scratch. It took me 25seconds and cost under a dollar. I saved in plane fare by trading for the salt. Trading happened long before planes were invented and its cheaper and less time consuming.

This guy is a prick.

he gave his life

Even better...

Think of how much time and effort our ancestors went through for 3 meals a day

THAT WAS THE POINT! I grew up as a kid working with my brother and sisters in the 4 gardens my Dad co-oped so we could have food to eat!
We raised rabbits and chickens for food.
AND YES we worked hard to EAT!
Today as you point out less then 5% of our daily existence is required to make/eat food.
the other 95% WE CAN work to earn money to buy our McDonalds!
But it took the efficiency of the capitalistic motivation i.e. profit to make a hamburger that sells today for $2.00!

he gave his life

Even better...

THAT WAS THE POINT! I grew up as a kid working with my brother and sisters in the 4 gardens my Dad co-oped so we could have food to eat!
Today as you point out less then 5% of our daily existence is required to make/eat food.
But it took the efficiency of the capitalistic motivation i.e. profit to make a hamburger that sells today for $2.00!
I bought a whole roasted chicken for $5 for dinner tonight. It was fucking awesome :thup:

The point goes way over your pointy head doesn't it?
I know with food stamps you get you go to the store buy some spam. Pull the lid back and voilà you have your meal for the day!
NO time to raise the pig. No need to butcher the pig. NO need to grind up the pork. Just pull the lid back and you got your Spam sandwich!

But because YOU don't seem to comprehend how much the process requires to put the Spam in the can... this point goes WAY over your head!

he gave his life

Even better...

I bought a whole roasted chicken for $5 for dinner tonight. It was fucking awesome :thup:

But who raised the chicken? Who butchered the chicken and sent the chicken to the store? Who roasted the chicken?

Do you really understand the point here?
All those steps so you could get a $5 chicken and I am confident that idiots like you have NO idea when you bitch and moan about those evil capitalist,money
profit corporations how through the hundreds of years and trillions of dollars it is possible for you to in less then 15 minutes hand over your $5.00 and
drive home and begin eating that chicken!

Those idiots that complain about money grubbing evil corporations WAKE UP!
These are the BEST times and with all the continued rules and regulations that this Anti-capitalist, Anti-business administration is laying down,
there will NOT be the choices we have much less the opportunity buy a $5 chicken already roasted!

I just made a chicken sandwich from scratch. It took me 25seconds and cost under a dollar. I saved in plane fare by trading for the salt. Trading happened long before planes were invented and its cheaper and less time consuming.

This guy is a prick.
You're too fucking stupid to understand the point of the article. You didn't make it from scratch.

Forum List

Back